ADVERTISEMENT

OT - We all knew this was coming (Iran plane crash)

giphy.gif

Reactions: LVC11
As bad as this sounds, that plane going down the way it did probably did quite a bit to hurt Iran's global case. How can they be trusted or present a logical case for war when they shot down a civilian plane? How can you allow them to have nuclear weapons if this can happen so easily. They are a lose cannon and the world just saw another example of it.

As bad as this sounds, that plane going down the way it did probably did quite a bit to hurt Iran's global case. How can they be trusted or present a logical case for war when they shot down a civilian plane? How can you allow them to have nuclear weapons if this can happen so easily. They are a lose cannon and the world just saw another example of it.
Iran Air Flight 655
Malaysia Airlines Flight 17

Just saying

This Iranian conflict is on the verge of becoming a global sh*tstorm. Looking real scary right now. Really hoping the situation deescalates soon.

I think things are already deescalating. Iran and the US are done for now IMO. Iran needs to now re-calculate. That strike was a good kill on both a High Value and High Payoff Target and a very, very, personal message to the Iranian leadership. Iranian leadership I believe, knows that any activities by proxies at this time might just generate an even more painful response. I also think that the Iranian Republican Guards will have a bit of an internal power struggle to keep themselves occupied for the near term.

The airliner shootdown will not amount to much other than make things worse internationally for Iran. Ukraine doesn't have the ability to project power into the ME, and it truly was an accident (caused by incompetent people using older Russian Air Defense systems).

It’s Iran backing down like crazy. They made dam sure they didn’t kill any of our soldiers. Another big win for Trump which means it’s a big win for the world.
As for this plane, they shot it down because they’re incompetent.

I think things are already deescalating. Iran and the US are done for now IMO. Iran needs to now re-calculate. That strike was a good kill on both a High Value and High Payoff Target and a very, very, personal message to the Iranian leadership. Iranian leadership I believe, knows that any activities by proxies at this time might just generate an even more painful response. I also think that the Iranian Republican Guards will have a bit of an internal power struggle to keep themselves occupied for the near term.

The airliner shootdown will not amount to much other than make things worse internationally for Iran. Ukraine doesn't have the ability to project power into the ME, and it truly was an accident (caused by incompetent people using older Russian Air Defense systems).
Glad to see someone else with common sense.

This Iranian conflict is on the verge of becoming a global sh*tstorm. Looking real scary right now. Really hoping the situation deescalates soon.

People keep saying things like "World War 3" and "global sh*tstorm," but who are Iran's allies in this conflict? They don't have any. While nobody wants war, let's not be hyperbolic about everything. If anything, Iran's token conventional response yesterday indicates that they're mostly going to take their medicine. What should be concerning as things go on is whether they do their usual thing of engaging terrorist proxies because they know they'd lose a conventional conflict.

The shitstorm is a reality over in that region. It would be a huge mess. We'd be largely safe. The region would lose the little bit of stability they recently had. The most reach they'd have is spotty messy terrorist level stuff in our country and our troops would be annoyed and unfortunately our enemies would get lucky and kill a few troops serving in the Middle East. Any loss of life is bad but I don't see them impacting us to any high degree.

Also I will continue to believe they definitely shot down that plane. Clowns.

People keep saying things like "World War 3" and "global sh*tstorm," but who are Iran's allies in this conflict? They don't have any. While nobody wants war, let's not be hyperbolic about everything. If anything, Iran's token conventional response yesterday indicates that they're mostly going to take their medicine. What should be concerning as things go on is whether they do their usual thing of engaging terrorist proxies because they know they'd lose a conventional conflict.

Iran, China and Russia just did joint naval exercises in December. https://www.ft.com/content/3d5a4cf0-288f-11ea-9a4f-963f0ec7e134

I don't worry about Iran much. They've been slowly painting themselves into a corner politically since W. I cannot believe they thought either A...they could hide it, or B....they overestimated world sentiment and that no one would do anything. That includes the US.

Iran, China and Russia just did joint naval exercises in December. https://www.ft.com/content/3d5a4cf0-288f-11ea-9a4f-963f0ec7e134

Right. All 3 are just itching for a protracted shooting war against a coalition of the west’s democracies among which are the greatest military force in human history and the pillars of their economies. And, lets define joint naval exercises. Because 2 of those 3 have total, antiquated garbage for naval assets. What they do have would be rendered virtually useless. Sooo, the way that should read is that Iran and Russia watched on while China conducted naval exercises.

“scientifically, it is impossible that a missile hit the Ukrainian plane, and such rumors are illogical,"

What do you know...even the Iranians use bogus science to spread bullshit and shame those who don’t agree!

I don't worry about Iran much. They've been slowly painting themselves into a corner politically since W. I cannot believe they thought either A...they could hide it, or B....they overestimated world sentiment and that no one would do anything. That includes the US.

They've been painting themselves into a corner for the last 40 years. Soleimani's assassination was a result of their recent attempts to violently extend their influence over Iraq, including attacking Americans. But they've just generally been a pain because of all the stuff they do through proxies... and of course, Soleimani was in charge of all that.

Right. All 3 are just itching for a protracted shooting war against a coalition of the west’s democracies among which are the greatest military force in human history and the pillars of their economies. And, lets define joint naval exercises. Because 2 of those 3 have total, antiquated garbage for naval assets. What they do have would be rendered virtually useless. Sooo, the way that should read is that Iran and Russia watched on while China conducted naval exercises.

Are China and Russia really allied with Iran in any meaningful way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt they've agreed to help defend Iran.

What I'm saying exactly is that the United States and Russia have also mistakenly shot down commercial aircraft so it clearly doesn't preclude you from having nukes. This is not to say that I think Iran should have nuclear weapons to be even more clear.

10-4. Misinterpreted your original post.

Are China and Russia really allied with Iran in any meaningful way? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt they've agreed to help defend Iran.

No. And, they certainly aren’t going to spring to their aid over the US killing a single Iranian military leader (read: terrorist) in an isolated air strike while he happened to be propagating terrorism in a foreign country while banned by the UN from leaving Iran.

This is correct. Iran does commerce and has substantial relationships with Russia and China. If anything major ever happened to Iran, we may hear from these countries.

Somebody will blame it on Trump for killing the guy which got them on edge which caused them to be trigger happy and accidentally blast an airliner. Go figure.
We accidentally shot down an Iranian passenger jet in 1988 due to similar tensions leading to our ship feeling threatened.

Somebody will blame it on Trump for killing the guy which got them on edge which caused them to be trigger happy and accidentally blast an airliner. Go figure.
We accidentally shot down an Iranian passenger jet in 1988 due to similar tensions leading to our ship feeling threatened.
I’m surprised the Dems haven’t been on CNN yet to spin it this way....
Maybe they have though, I haven’t seen the latest news yet...

If Ukraine takes exception to their civilian plane being shot down, all the sudden the Russians have a much better reason to side with Iran.

Likely a poorly trained SA-15 SAM Regiment. Their radar system is adequate to discern the RCS of a slow-moving passenger airliner flying westerly from Tehran, from a threat, just like the Buk was in Ukraine years ago.

But Iran will get away with it.

Reactions: PawsFan_
This is correct. Iran does commerce and has substantial relationships with Russia and China. If anything major ever happened to Iran, we may hear from these countries.

I don't know dick about anything, but it seems like there's way too much money coming in to China from the US for them to side with Iran. And prob the same with Russia.

Yep. WW3 level shit. If Ukraine gets froggy on the Iranians, Russia jumps in on the Iranian side, it’s gonna get uglier.

disagree. Irans leaders want no part of a war and this just essentially put the US in the drivers seat in terms of a new deal. Also, you really think Putin wants to give up his thrown to fight alongside Iran?

The funny part about these supreme leaders are they all talk like they carry a big stick until something real happens.. then they realize that they’d no longer be alive to tweet if they attacked the US.

Reactions: Hammerhead04
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT