ADVERTISEMENT

Photo ID

Should we be required to show photo ID to vote?

• Yea

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
If you're over the age of 18, by law, you are required to carry a government issued ID. The DMV issues ID cards for those that don't have a drivers license.

So I'm confused that it's illegal to not have an ID, but it's okay to vote if you don't have one.
You are making sh*t up.

It is illegal to not verbally identify yourself to a police officer. It is not and never has been a requirement to carry a photo ID.

Reactions: SpartanTiger120
Easy to obtain is the issue. Not the ID cost

Duval County cannot be the sole county that has transportation for the aged and physically handicapped, DMV offices all over the city/county and churches that supply support and transportation for the poor. Photo ID is a given in the world today. Reasons given for voters not to have one are good old fashioned bull shit.

ahh, im not all for detaining and prosecuting people for wanting to vote illegally.

what hillary has done is far worse on the grand scale and she walks, be totally unfair to put average people in jail or tie up court systems.

im just saying with the corruption we have no witnessed with evidence, that it should not be hard for states to jump on the bandwagon to require photo ids this election.

those who have been cheating will be turned away if they try. looking forward for the positivie aspects of making our votes counts should be the goal.

if i go vote legally, then an illegal votes right behind me opposite my vote, then my vote is obsolete.
App what happened to enforcing and prosecuting the existing laws. Isn't that you're position on immigration, why not voter fraud?

The problem is not just the cost but the difficulty in getting the id, as others have said. Alabama recently closed a whole bunch of DMV's and the majority of them were in predominantly black areas. Voter ID laws would be good if voter fraud was a problem (which it isn't). The only reason it exists is as a way to make it more difficult for the poor to vote.

I don't disagree that everyone should have an ID and, if everyone has one, to make them carry it to vote. Fine.

But App, if you're going to not "rest on your laurels on studies" then just go away. Nobody can disprove your first had experience so it's just pointless to talk to you if you won't accept anything else.

I don't see how conservatives can be so opposed to gun control which "doesn't do anything" but are in favor of Voter ID laws which "fix" a "problem" that doesn't exist.

If you're over the age of 18, by law, you are required to carry a government issued ID. The DMV issues ID cards for those that don't have a drivers license.

So I'm confused that it's illegal to not have an ID, but it's okay to vote if you don't have one.
Sorry, but where is it illegal or a requirement to carry a government issued ID? You may not be able to drive, buy alcohol, etc, but where is not having one illegal? I've never heard that.

App what happened to enforcing and prosecuting the existing laws. Isn't that you're position on immigration, why not voter fraud?

im for fairness

if hillary was not prosecuted and incarcerated for her actions, i dont see the need to put a erage americans in jail or tying up the court system.

lets just fix and move on. your way of thinking is inefficient and ineffective.

i am totally for holding all people accountable to the law, but equality also.

every encounter with a police office i have ever had i get asked:

"show me your identification" or "do you have identification on you"
well every encounter i've had with a policeman has been while i was operating a vehicle...

your personal experience with the law officers aside... the actual law, as interpreted by the supreme court, says that you must provide your identity to a police officer, but americans are not required to have or carry identification.

Reactions: SpartanTiger120
i know right @tigerGUY :)

gotta love toolucky tho, at least he has the courage to have his voice heard and not get frustrated and throw stupid comments out like @TigerDutch

i think toolucky is a teenager
What part that I said was not true? Heck, you posted on this board you had not paid your taxes in 3 years.

Last edited:
im for fairness

if hillary was not prosecuted and incarcerated for her actions, i dont see the need to put a erage americans in jail or tying up the court system.

lets just fix and move on. your way of thinking is inefficient and ineffective.

i am totally for holding all people accountable to the law, but equality also.
so until Hillary is prosecuted what other things should not be prosecuted in the US?

you're heading down the losing path of this argument app... either we have laws and we have a country or we don't...

and this is the reason why some people in this country are against voter id laws... because it isn't about illegal activities... it is about preventing inner city black people from voting.

Duval County cannot be the sole county that has transportation for the aged and physically handicapped, DMV offices all over the city/county and churches that supply support and transportation for the poor. Photo ID is a given in the world today. Reasons given for voters not to have one are good old fashioned bull shit.

also could use drivers test to go pick up peeps without cars.

instead of a teen just driving around for no reason to get their photo id, why not have them kill 2 bird with one stone.

so until Hillary is prosecuted what other things should not be prosecuted in the US?

you're heading down the losing path of this argument app... either we have laws and we have a country or we don't...

and this is the reason why some people in this country are against voter id laws... because it isn't about illegal activities... it is about preventing inner city black people from voting.

how is asking inner city black people to get a photo id preventing them from voting.

do they not cash checks with a photo id?

The problem is not just the cost but the difficulty in getting the id, as others have said. Alabama recently closed a whole bunch of DMV's and the majority of them were in predominantly black areas. Voter ID laws would be good if voter fraud was a problem (which it isn't). The only reason it exists is as a way to make it more difficult for the poor to vote.

I don't disagree that everyone should have an ID and, if everyone has one, to make them carry it to vote. Fine.

But App, if you're going to not "rest on your laurels on studies" then just go away. Nobody can disprove your first had experience so it's just pointless to talk to you if you won't accept anything else.

I don't see how conservatives can be so opposed to gun control which "doesn't do anything" but are in favor of Voter ID laws which "fix" a "problem" that doesn't exist.

if you see a man killed with your own eyes, its hard to listen to someone tell you he wasnt killed.

conservatives are for gun control- see waiting period and background checks.

im not for doctors, teachers, and others having the ability to prevent an american from owning a weapon claiming that they have mental issues.

thats a slippery slope ripe for corruption

no idea why liberals think conservatives and libertarians arent for gun control.

Dear Lord.
tiger guy...

Is voter fraud common?

Is it an effective way to fix an election?

Is it not already a crime with a penalty that is a severe deterrent?

Not in my previous post... but what about absentee ballots? i've seen it posited that absentee ballots are the source of most of voter fraud... absentee ballots by the way heavily vote republican.

be interesting to look up the alabama issue with dmvs.

im sure they did that because they are all racist.

which states dont issue a photo id?

i know maine, sc, nc, and utah all offer photo id's

you have to have a photo id to even exist in the states.

you cant open an account at a bank,
you cant cash a check,
you cant check a book out at the library,

you cant do much without a photo id.
"Loyola University Law School professor Justin Levitt, who investigated "any specific, credible allegation" of voter impersonation fraud, found a total of "about 31 different incidents" since 2000 of in-person voter fraud out of over 1 billion ballots cast. [The Washington Post, Wonkblog, 8/6/14]"

Just another non-issue Republicans want to make a big deal out of.

Reactions: iceheart08
how is asking inner city black people to get a photo id preventing them from voting.

do they not cash checks with a photo id?
i deposit checks on my phone.

the point is there is no universal photo id system in the US, there is no requirement to have a photo id in the US, and those who don't have them are predominantly low income minorities.

there is also almost zero evidence of vote fraud being a real problem...

and so, it is somewhat reasonable to conclude that these laws are not designed to protect the integrity of elections as much as they are intended to prevent a targeted demographic from voting by creating an additional hoop for them to jump through.

either have a universal ID system or just enforce the current voter fraud laws.

"Loyola University Law School professor Justin Levitt, who investigated "any specific, credible allegation" of voter impersonation fraud, found a total of "about 31 different incidents" since 2000 of in-person voter fraud out of over 1 billion ballots cast. [The Washington Post, Wonkblog, 8/6/14]"

i saw more than 31 in a single election, so i know he has an agenda

i deposit checks on my phone.

the point is there is no universal photo id system in the US, there is no requirement to have a photo id in the US, and those who don't have them are predominantly low income minorities.

there is also almost zero evidence of vote fraud being a real problem...

and so, it is somewhat reasonable to conclude that these laws are not designed to protect the integrity of elections as much as they are intended to prevent a targeted demographic from voting by creating an additional hoop for them to jump through.

either have a universal ID system or just enforce the current voter fraud laws.

did you not need a phot id to open the account to have that privilege?

Can't buy bourbon without an ID, but you should be allowed to vote for the POTUS without one?

I have never understood how requiring proof of who you are is "voter suppression."

Always enjoy the mass of political posts on a football message board.

To the Round Table in 3...2...1

Yeah me too. They are fun reads just like every OT post. How much preseason stuff can we regurgitate until football season actually gets here. I have no problem with people paying money and posting what they like. If this entire board were nothing but football or sports during the offseason, it would be really shitty, honestly. There's not that much to talk about, other than rumors. Or, hey C/P/L were do you think this kid will eat lunch when he comes? Do you think he's as good as advertised? Yeah that Sh!t gets old quicker than any OT post. Now, during football season, yeah send them to the Round Table. But Offseason, don't click the post if you don't want to read it. People pay money, and they post what they like. It's simple. I see crap all of the time, and I don't click it, b/c I don't care to read it. That's even more simple.

did you not need a phot id to open the account to have that privilege?
honestly don't know, i was 8 years old when i first opened my bank account. i've had a photo ID since i was 15. the fact that i have one, that it has been a defacto government ID for me since I was a teenager, doesn't change the fact that not all law abiding americans do have one. I agree, I can't imagine not having a photo ID, i love bourbon and beer, I fly, I drive, but that isn't true of everyone.

if a credible study found voter fraud was happening in significant numbers, i'd jump on board 100%... but as it stands, this seems like it is an attempt to disenfranchise. just how i see it. i'm going to walk away and try to get some work done.

i saw more than 31 in a single election, so i know he has an agenda
You personally saw 31 cases of fraud?
166.gif

Every race that a fraudulent vote was cast in should be nullified.

Yeah me too. They are fun reads just like every OT post. How much preseason stuff can we regurgitate until football season actually gets here. I have no problem with people paying money and posting what they like. If this entire board were nothing but football or sports during the offseason, it would be really shitty, honestly. There's not that much to talk about, other than rumors. Or, hey C/P/L were do you think this kid will eat lunch when he comes? Do you think he's as good as advertised? Yeah that Sh!t gets old quicker than any OT post. Now, during football season, yeah send them to the Round Table. But Offseason, don't click the post if you don't want to read it. People pay money, and they post what they like. It's simple. I see crap all of the time, and I don't click it, b/c I don't care to read it. That's even more simple.

@Tiger Guru

spot on!

Except this particular poster posts political crap nearly every day. And, I'm sure it will be moved to the Round Table. That was my point.

I get the OT posts but surprised the same posters can break the rules over & over and without repercussions.

You are making shit up, not everyone can talk so not everyone can verbally Id themselves, as far as I know he is right on the id part. Although that law is bs.
In Hiibel v. Sixth Judicial District Court of Nevada, the Supreme Court upheld state laws requiring citizens to reveal their identity when officers have reasonable suspicion to believe criminal activity may be taking place. Commonly known as “stop-and-identify” statutes, these laws permit police to arrest criminal suspects who refuse to identify themselves.

my appolgoies on specifying verbal... i guess deaf mutes can just write it down for them.

You are making shit up, not everyone can talk so not everyone can verbally Id themselves, as far as I know he is right on the id part. Although that law is bs.
Where is there a law you have to have a photo ID on you? Not if you are driving or where you need it to buy something or receive a service, but that you just straight up have to carry one at all times? Please show me that law.

Can you leave the house without your ID? It seems like a silly question to most, but with some shifts in state immigration laws, it has become a serious question.

In a perfect world, you wouldn't need to carry your ID on you at all times. But here's what you might expect in the real world:

When You Leave Your Home...

Despite the questionable legal status of Arizona's immigration laws, there is no place in the nation where simply being in public without ID is illegal.

However, there are several states in which it is an arrestable offense if you refuse to identify yourself to police. The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that these kinds of laws can be legal, as long as the officers had reasonable suspicion to detain you in the first place.

In states with these laws, like Arizona and Nevada, you may be required to give police your full legal name. But you don't have to answer any other questions, and you shouldn't need any form of identification.

When You're in a Store...

Federal courts have held that certain stores may legally require you provide ID in order to make a return. You can also be legally required to show ID for the purchase of alcohol, tobacco, or even cold medicine.

When You're Driving...

Driving without a license is a crime in all states and in Washington, D.C. This means you need to have your valid driver's license on hand if an officer stops you while driving. Failing to show proof of a valid license is a lesser offense than not having a license at all, but it can still be a crime.

When You Vote...

There is a rising trend in many states to require photo IDs to be presented in order to vote. The federal government sued Texas over its voter ID law in August, claiming that the law discriminated against ethnic minorities.

If your state has one of these laws, it may be legal for ballot officials to require you to show a form of photo ID. Contact a local civil rights attorney if you feel your state's laws are keeping you from voting.

If you're not involved in one of the activities above, you should be OK to not carry your ID.

- See more at: http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_li...th-you-at-all-times.html#sthash.UrgkoGP6.dpuf

honestly don't know, i was 8 years old when i first opened my bank account. i've had a photo ID since i was 15. the fact that i have one, that it has been a defacto government ID for me since I was a teenager, doesn't change the fact that not all law abiding americans do have one. I agree, I can't imagine not having a photo ID, i love bourbon and beer, I fly, I drive, but that isn't true of everyone.

if a credible study found voter fraud was happening in significant numbers, i'd jump on board 100%... but as it stands, this seems like it is an attempt to disenfranchise. just how i see it. i'm going to walk away and try to get some work done.

not having a photo id is suppressing low income americans from rising up.

like you said, you cant buy beer, you cant fly, you cant get a legal job, you cant open a bank account, you cant cant cash a check.

this goes above and beyond voting.

would you tell your child not to worry about getting a phot id or drivers license?

many americans live in inner cities and you public transport, they have no need for a DL, but if they want to buy beer, hold a legal job, or cash a check, they have to show a phot id.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT