ADVERTISEMENT

Photo ID

Should we be required to show photo ID to vote?

• Yea

• Nay

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why is it so hard for people to understand that you can't have money be part of the requirement of the ability for a US citizen to fulfill their most basic right and function of our democracy? Every single person has the right to vote, from the billionaire to the homeless man with only 10 cents in his hand. Money simply cannot be an obstacle to the right to vote. It's called a right for a reason. How this is even a debate astonishes me and is a sad testament to how discriminatory and ignorant some in this country truly are

Reactions: iceheart08
Ah ok. Because IDs would get rid of all fraudulent votes? Every single vote would be legitimate just because someone has a little card with them? Allow me to post this one more time:
166.gif
And it may not affect a national election of state level but I guarantee that there are localities where voter fraud suppresses the rights of law abiding American citizens.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that you can't have money be part of the requirement of the ability for a US citizen to fulfill their most basic right and function of our democracy? Every single person has the right to vote, from the billionaire to the homeless man with only 10 cents in his hand. Money simply cannot be an obstacle to the right to vote. It's called a right for a reason. How this is even a debate astonishes me and is a sad testament to how discriminatory and ignorant some in this country truly are
I don't think anyone would say money should be part of the process, simple fix, issue free I'd cards. Been stated several times, keep up.

Yes, but IDs should be free and easy to obtain, which is not the case in most states.

Also anybody that believes voter ID laws are mainly about preventing fraud and not about suppressing votes either is new to politics or not smart.
Drivers licenses aren't free and in most states the laws will allow law enforcement to take you to the ID agency, if you Can't get there on your own.

In most states the only gov't issued photo ID is a drivers license so if you don't drive you can't vote. That ain't right.
What's not right is voter fraud. Political operatives literally pay, feed, pick up and drive folks to vote multiple times at mulitple precincts on the same day. Nonregistered voters, non-citizens, and illegal aliens included. They are instructed on who to vote for in exchange for food and money.

I think every state offers a photo ID for its citizens without an ID to help with legal ID needs. There is usually a fee however.

My solution. Each state can provide free legal photo IDs for those without driver licenses or passports. Then have a voter ID law to protect registered voters from having their votes stolen by numerous fraudulent voters that are brought to precincts by well organized political operatives.

I have a right to free speech, does that mean that I can say anything, anywhere and not be punished (can I sexually harass my secretary and claim freedom of speech, how about telling my boss that his wife is a whore)?

I have the right to bear arms, does that mean that I can take them everywhere I please? Does that mean that I should be given one upon demand, without proof of ID or $?

We have lots of rights - you have the right o bear children, doesn't mean that you can impregnate any woman that you choose (this is in jest). The point is that a right does not mean that it cannot come with limitations and rules.

every encounter with a police office i have ever had i get asked:

"show me your identification" or "do you have identification on you"
It is not required to have an ID- ever in general. Believe it or not, you do not have to actually give or show your DL to the officer on a traffic stop. You are creating some headaches for yourself if you do not and I am not recommending it.

i deposit checks on my phone.

the point is there is no universal photo id system in the US, there is no requirement to have a photo id in the US, and those who don't have them are predominantly low income minorities.

there is also almost zero evidence of vote fraud being a real problem...

and so, it is somewhat reasonable to conclude that these laws are not designed to protect the integrity of elections as much as they are intended to prevent a targeted demographic from voting by creating an additional hoop for them to jump through.

either have a universal ID system or just enforce the current voter fraud laws.

I deposit checks on my phone also.....But, I did not open that bank account without showing ID (Drivers License).....

Not having an ID steals your vote and mine and takes away our rights. It makes rampant voter fraud easy and is a very common practice in our nation. I would agree that every state should offer a free legal photo ID to those with licenses or other legal photo ID.

Reactions: appalachiatiger
There are valid reasons to require photo ID. But, the process of weeding out voter fraud can never be achieved without adding obstacles to somebody or some group of people. And even then, you'll still have some fraud in the end.

Obtaining a photo ID, as some have mentioned, is increasingly difficult for those that don't drive. Which is a lot of people who live in the cities, elderly, and those that simply cannot afford a vehicle. Then, to obtain a state-issued photo ID, you may have to make plans to take a day off work to go to the DMV, or some other place that may be difficult to arrange if you (a) can't take a day of work, and (b) don't have transportation means to do this easily. And in some states, getting that ID (aside from fees) may require multiple forms of identification, such as birth certificate and social security card. What if you don't have those on hand? Whelp, another day off work to run to the local social security office, more fees. No birth certificate? Have to call up the state capital and get them to send you one by snail mail, and yes, more fees. In Texas, if some hospitals aren't even issuing birth certificates to babies whose parents could not document their own citizenship. So now it becomes multi-generational.

For most of us here, the ability to vote is pretty easy. For some people the hassle isn't worth it.

As long as you provide the ID for free, then I don't have an issue with it.

From my understanding, this is the difference between states that have been found illegal and ones that have been found legal. In North Carolina you can get your ID card free of charge.

https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/id/

Reactions: grazhoppa
Can someone please point out a demographic, subset, or example of people who do not have ID's and are over 18?

I feel like an ID is necessary just to live. You need ID's for everything. So how does someone go through life over 18 years old in today's world without one? There is very little, if anything, you can do without having a form of photo identification to be part of functioning society.

You can't even legally buy tobacco without one, yet you don't have to have one to select our commander in chief and other elected officials? Man that is some backwards crazy stuff right there.

It's a no brainer. The poll results agree. 96% of the board said yes, which is one of the most lopsided polls I have ever seen on here. 4% probably have some type of agenda or strange fetish for arguing. It has nothing to do with Dems and Reps. It has everything to do with making sure that the voting process is done accurately and fairly and making sure that every person is identifiable.

The way I see it.....
Odds are that if you made it through life without ever having a photo ID you were doing something illegal or were not in a stable enough mental capacity to cast a cognizant vote.

i saw rampant voter fraud in 92,94, 96 elections

especially when joe riley was running.

both sides were cheating but dems were leading 3 to 1 on cheating votes when i was at a precinct.

if you have never worked a precinct and you dont bleive voter fraud is an issue.

be patriotic, volunteer for this election cycle. see for yourself how rampant it is.

What's not right is voter fraud. Political operatives literally pay, feed, pick up and drive folks to vote multiple times at mulitple precincts on the same day. Nonregistered voters, non-citizens, and illegal aliens included. They are instructed on who to vote for in exchange for food and money.

Source?

The way I see it.....
Odds are that if you made it through life without ever having a photo ID you were doing something illegal or were not in a stable enough mental capacity to cast a cognizant vote.

Fortunately you do not get to decide who is worthy of the right to vote.

I think every state offers a photo ID for its citizens without an ID to help with legal ID needs. There is usually a fee however.

My solution. Each state can provide free legal photo IDs for those without driver licenses or passports. Then have a voter ID law to protect registered voters from having their votes stolen by numerous fraudulent voters that are brought to precincts by well organized political operatives.

This isn't even close to true. Smh...

both sides were cheating but dems were leading 3 to 1 on cheating votes when i was at a precinct.

if you have never worked a precinct and you dont bleive voter fraud is an issue.

be patriotic, volunteer for this election cycle. see for yourself how rampant it is.

I'm sorry app, I don't believe you at all. I was just a little kid when you claim this was happening, but as a grown man, I've been in charge of statewide voter protection operations for national campaigns. And, as I said to McFadden up there, this just isn't the case in 2012, 2014, and 2016.

There are valid reasons to require photo ID. But, the process of weeding out voter fraud can never be achieved without adding obstacles to somebody or some group of people. And even then, you'll still have some fraud in the end.

Obtaining a photo ID, as some have mentioned, is increasingly difficult for those that don't drive. Which is a lot of people who live in the cities, elderly, and those that simply cannot afford a vehicle. Then, to obtain a state-issued photo ID, you may have to make plans to take a day off work to go to the DMV, or some other place that may be difficult to arrange if you (a) can't take a day of work, and (b) don't have transportation means to do this easily. And in some states, getting that ID (aside from fees) may require multiple forms of identification, such as birth certificate and social security card. What if you don't have those on hand? Whelp, another day off work to run to the local social security office, more fees. No birth certificate? Have to call up the state capital and get them to send you one by snail mail, and yes, more fees. In Texas, if some hospitals aren't even issuing birth certificates to babies whose parents could not document their own citizenship. So now it becomes multi-generational.

For most of us here, the ability to vote is pretty easy. For some people the hassle isn't worth it.

"adding obstacles"?

birth certificate, social security card, and driver license/photo ID, and a bank account is something i think all americans should possess

I'm sorry app, I don't believe you at all. I was just a little kid when you claim this was happening, but as a grown man, I've been in charge of statewide voter protection operations for national campaigns. And, as I said to McFadden up there, this just isn't the case in 2012, 2014, and 2016.

have you sat at the table and verify voters as they come into vote?

thats how i witnessed it.

"adding obstacles"?

birth certificate, social security card, and driver license/photo ID, and a bank account is something i think all americans should possess
app... i agree with that statement... everyone should... but just because they should doesn't make it so and doesn't make them any less Americans.

I agree with you John, but it is a balance and our society is continuing to evolve. We need to balance voter fraud against voting rights. For my money, voting rights should win. One of the realities of our world is that it is in the interest of those in power and those with wealth to limit the power and access to wealth of all others.

Reactions: Clems0nTiger
I think you should have to have photo ID, graduated from high school or have a GED and must be current on all federal and state taxes to vote.

I agree with you John, but it is a balance and our society is continuing to evolve. We need to balance voter fraud against voting rights. For my money, voting rights should win. One of the realities of our world is that it is in the interest of those in power and those with wealth to limit the power and access to wealth of all others.

I think this is exactly it. A reasonable person here should at least acknowledge that the practice of eliminating voter fraud will put some amount of undue pressure on legitimate voters. The question is how much is too much? And how much fraud would be eliminated anyway? Of course, it's easier to be dismissive of the voter's rights, minimize their process, and envision that fraud will be eliminated, when you also understand that the voter you are putting behind the chains is probably voting against your party in the end. And that certainly goes both ways in this argument. But I'm in agreement with you, err on the side of voters rights.

It's a no brainer. The poll results agree. 96% of the board said yes, which is one of the most lopsided polls I have ever seen on here. 4% probably have some type of agenda or strange fetish for arguing. It has nothing to do with Dems and Reps. It has everything to do with making sure that the voting process is done accurately and fairly and making sure that every person is identifiable.

Yes, it's really shocking. A poll placed on a membership-fee, sports-related, message board, where office job people can vote on in the middle of the day, from their computer or smartphone, has got to be one of the most diverse demographics. :rolleyes:

Please elaborate on the "fraud" that you saw

Of course it should be required.

If cost is an issue, waive the fee for those below the poverty line or let people use their EBT card to pay for it. I think a generic ID card is $3 in SC anyways...

If you can't manage to pick up your free or almost free ID card before voting, I'm going to assume you were also unable to pick up the information necessary to make an informed decision.

"adding obstacles"?

I agree with all of those except the bank account.

The birth certificate, Social Security Card, and Photo ID/Drivers license are all identifiers that can be used to validate someone's legal existence in our country. Voting aside, In today's age of increasing security concerns I am not really sure why having the combo of all 3 of these items wasn't made a requirement a long time ago........

Of course it should be required.

If cost is an issue, waive the fee for those below the poverty line or let people use their EBT card to pay for it. I think a generic ID card is $3 in SC anyways...

If you can't manage to pick up your free or almost free ID card before voting, I'm going to assume you were also unable to pick up the information necessary to make an informed decision.
That's a stupid assumption. There are plenty of people with drivers' licenses that have zero information needed to cast an informed vote. Their ability to get to a DMV and pay for an ID doesn't automatically give them some sort of qualification to vote.

I think you should have to have photo ID, graduated from high school or have a GED and must be current on all federal and state taxes to vote.

holy christ. please leave the country. i bet there are a number ITT who agree with you too. absolutely disgusting sentiment.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT