ADVERTISEMENT

Primer on Masks

A

anon_yqoaxol227dby

I’ve read and heard a lot of people say that as it relates to COVID19, “masks don’t work “
That’s a blanket statement and it depends what you mean by “work”. Mostly, it also depends on the type of mask and whether one is sick and wants to prevent disease spread or whether one is healthy and wants to avoid being infected.
So let’s start

1. N95 Mask
This mask contains a filter that filters out large and small particles as small as 0.3 microns. You may notice that some of these have valves , which basically serves to release unfiltered air when the person exhales. Health care providers have to pass a fit test to ensure proper fitting before being assigned their proper mask size.
In this case, the reason one wears this kind of mask is to protect one from being infected If worn properly. So we would wear one to see someone in the icu with covid to prevent us from being infected. we also use this mask in case someone has or is being ruled out for tuberculosis, for example.

2. Surgical Masks
These are the standard masks one may see in the hospital or TV shows. This mask protects other people by serving as a barrier to prevent droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter containing infectious agents that the (infected) wearer might release through coughing, sneezing, talking, etc. For the person wearing it, it can protect against secretion and saliva from splashing onto a persons mouth.
But mostly, it’s used to prevent disease spread among those who are sick or may be infected and not know it, which is why one may hear that surgical masks don’t really prevent one from getting COVID19 if a person with COVID19 not wearing a mask comes in close proximity to someone wearing just a surgical mask

Basically , you shouldn’t rely or expect surgical masks to protect you from COVID-19 — you would wear them mainly as a public service to help protect others from you. So when you hear someone say that “masks don’t work”, you should ask if that person is referring to a surgical mask or an N95 mask and whether they are referring to “work” as protecting them or curbing spread by unknowingly spreading to others.

hope this clears it up

What is the deal with face shields? Hearing they could be a replacement.

What is the deal with face shields? Hearing they could be a replacement.

Face shields or face protection are not a replacement for an N95 mask but are part of what we wear when interacting with patients who are covid positive or any patient for that matter when we are performing procedures involving the airway. Face shields merely form a barrier to sputum or other airway secretions that might be coughed in our direction when we are caring for the patient.

I’ve read and heard a lot of people say that as it relates to COVID19, “masks don’t work “
That’s a blanket statement and it depends what you mean by “work”. Mostly, it also depends on the type of mask and whether one is sick and wants to prevent disease spread or whether one is healthy and wants to avoid being infected.
So let’s start

1. N95 Mask
This mask contains a filter that filters out large and small particles as small as 0.3 microns. You may notice that some of these have valves , which basically serves to release unfiltered air when the person exhales. Health care providers have to pass a fit test to ensure proper fitting before being assigned their proper mask size.
In this case, the reason one wears this kind of mask is to protect one from being infected If worn properly. So we would wear one to see someone in the icu with covid to prevent us from being infected. we also use this mask in case someone has or is being ruled out for tuberculosis, for example.

2. Surgical Masks
These are the standard masks one may see in the hospital or TV shows. This mask protects other people by serving as a barrier to prevent droplets, splashes, sprays, or splatter containing infectious agents that the (infected) wearer might release through coughing, sneezing, talking, etc. For the person wearing it, it can protect against secretion and saliva from splashing onto a persons mouth.
But mostly, it’s used to prevent disease spread among those who are sick or may be infected and not know it, which is why one may hear that surgical masks don’t really prevent one from getting COVID19 if a person with COVID19 not wearing a mask comes in close proximity to someone wearing just a surgical mask

Basically , you shouldn’t rely or expect surgical masks to protect you from COVID-19 — you would wear them mainly as a public service to help protect others from you. So when you hear someone say that “masks don’t work”, you should ask if that person is referring to a surgical mask or an N95 mask and whether they are referring to “work” as protecting them or curbing spread by unknowingly spreading to others.

hope this clears it up
I have come up with a simple solution for the confusion. I dont wear the damn things.

So let’s start

1. N95 Mask

2. Surgical Masks

hope this clears it up

This is what is confusing.

A surgical mask will not protect you but it prevents an infected person from transmitting the disease?

Can you see the fallacy with that statement?

Or is this one of those deals where the viral load would maybe be lessened from an infected person?

My mindset is you are probably screwed if you get close enough, for long enough, to any infected person. The surgical mask is a false sense of security.

Reactions: fatpiggy
3m has a good description on Mask Vs Respirator on one of their web pages. I know from experience / training to get full protection from a respirator a person needs to be fit tested and can NOT have any facial hair. It also explains the differance between the same respirator with or without the relief valve.

Reactions: valleyrat
This is what is confusing.

A surgical mask will not protect you but it prevents an infected person from transmitting the disease?

Can you see the fallacy with that statement?

Or is this one of those deals where the viral load would maybe be lessened from an infected person?

My mindset is you are probably screwed if you get close enough, for long enough, to any infected person. The surgical mask is a false sense of security.

i don’t see the fallacy. If you are unprotected and sneeze or cough , you are releasing a huge viral load into the air that is unabated. If you have a mask, the degree to which the virus is transmitted in terms of force is lessened with a mask and therefore the amount of inoculum/viral load transmitted at x disntance is less, and thereby it decreases the chance that someone without a mask will inhale enough viral load to become infected and cause clinical disease manifestation. if u have a mask on but you have a ton of viral shedding and cough directly at someone without an N95, that person will likely become infected. The mask is probably not going to do anything, that’s why it’s not meant to eradicate the chance of spread , but instead to lessen the probability of spread among carriers in the community

The square surgical mask only protects the area around the person wearing it. This mask is design to keep the person wearing it from contaminating the OR. The N95 with the relief valve protects the person wearing it but not the surrounding area. Due to the wearers air passing through the valve area and not through the respirator. A N95 respirator without the relief valve protects the person wearing it and the area around that person. Respirators should be NIOSH approved.

The square surgical mask only protects the area around the person wearing it. This mask is design to keep the person wearing it from contaminating the OR. The N95 with the relief valve protects the person wearing it but not the surrounding area. Due to the wearers air passing through the valve area and not through the respirator. A N95 respirator without the relief valve protects the person wearing it and the area around that person. Respirators should be NIOSH approved.

I’ve been wearing a snorkel and scuba mask is that sufficient ?

@MF123 have you heard the analogy of 2 guys wearing or not wearing pants? I wonder how accurate that is.

I don’t work in an ICU anymore, I see people in their homes. So our COVID patients are folks who have come home from hospital or SNF where they tested positive and may have been symptomatic or asymptomatic. What we have been instructed to do is wear a surgical mask and face shield, unless they are within a 3 hour period of using a device that causes aerosol (nebulizer, c-pap, bi-pap) in which case we wear our fit-tested N95. They have to wear a surgical mask when we are working with them.

@MF123 have you heard the analogy of 2 guys wearing or not wearing pants? I wonder how accurate that is.

I don’t work in an ICU anymore, I see people in their homes. So our COVID patients are folks who have come home from hospital or SNF where they tested positive and may have been symptomatic or asymptomatic. What we have been instructed to do is wear a surgical mask and face shield, unless they are within a 3 hour period of using a device that causes aerosol (nebulizer, c-pap, bi-pap) in which case we wear our fit-tested N95. They have to wear a surgical mask when we are working with them.

Hmm don’t know that I’ve heard the analogy

There are people who actually dispute that masks don’t work? I mean they may not be 100% effective, but there’s no doubt a mask will offer some reduction in transmissibility of a communicable airborn virus.

I thought we all hated them because they suck, not because we thought they’re ineffective.

Hmm don’t know that I’ve heard the analogy
rawImage.png

There are people who actually dispute that masks don’t work? I mean they may not be 100% effective, but there’s no doubt a mask will offer some reduction in transmissibility of a communicable airborn virus.

I thought we all hated them because they suck, not because we thought they’re ineffective.
Trumpers war on knowledge never stops

This.
If you’re a visitor allowed to come to hospital you have to wear a mask. There’s a cop and staff that screens everyone. I was walking in early this morning and an enraged woman was arguing with the cope over the merits of wearing a mask and how it wouldn’t help at all. It was the wildest thing. Also, why would one argue about this at a hospital entrance

So let’s start

1. N95 Mask

2. Surgical Masks

hope this clears it up

Isn't mask-wearing primarily being promoted to protect others? So the N95 masks that exhaust unfiltered air are not really in keeping with the reason the public at large should be wearing them?

Reactions: Clemson Goat
So let’s start

1. N95 Mask

2. Surgical Masks

hope this clears it up
Waste of our time on a sports site...if I wanted medical advice, I would seek the appropriate medical website, not TI!

Oh there are well known posters on this board who still make this assertion. This crisis has certainly outed the dummies, that’s for sure.

A little louder for the people in the back. People that say they aren't effective are just being obtuse and don't feel like wearing a mask. I get it, they aren't fun, but suck it up.

Lol, just tired of weenie’s whining about things that don’t pertain to Clemson sports...nothing more, nothing less!

Simple, just don’t click on the thread instead of “weenie whining” about a thread topic in the actual thread that’s bothering you. Also, I didn’t know that describing differing kinds of masks was “whining”. Complaining about a thread is, however, “whining”

Any thoughts as to why WHO is still not recommending that everybody wears masks? As of today on their website it recommends
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing

For the record, I’m not trying to ignite a wear mask vs don’t debate. I wear one daily whilst treating multiple high-risk patients. Other than supply, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be recommending that all people wear some type of facial covering in public unless the information they’ve obtained said otherwise

Reactions: Pvilletigerfan
Any thoughts as to why WHO is still not recommending that everybody wears masks? As of today on their website it recommends
  • If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19.
  • Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing

For the record, I’m not trying to ignite a wear mask vs don’t debate. I wear one daily whilst treating multiple high-risk patients. Other than supply, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t be recommending that all people wear some type of facial covering in public unless the information they’ve obtained said otherwise

not really sure, although the WHO has dropped the ball and miscalculated several steps along the way. I think trump even cut off aid to them as a result.
I haven’t relied on the WHO for any sort of guidance related to COVID19

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT