ADVERTISEMENT

Primer on Masks

All mask are definitely not created equal.

With the shortage of mask the market is see a little bit of everything.

First , mask come in Surgical grades and industrial grades. The biggest difference here is if the mask is sterile.

The filter level and the sterile level are not related. You can have a low quality sterile mask or a very high filter industrial mask.

N-95 / KN-95 (Chinese Std) / CE FFP2 ( Europe) are the best that seem to be available.

They make an N-99 / FFP3 mask but they are much more difficult to find.

The better mask are FDA, or CE mark on them . That mean they meet a least a certain manufacturing standard.

Typically , the easy it is to breath through the mask the worse the protection level. The make mask with a one-way valve to help breath out. They are positive pressure so are effective against the virus.

The lower filter masks are likely better help against spreading the virus than anything else. I consider them the economy reopener. You can reduce the distant between people if everyone would wear this kind of mask. It basically goes to a none touching distance.

I'll see some really really cheap ones. Beware of them.

The last piece of information I actually found useful from talking to mask factories. Mask are like TP. After use, you have a dirty side and a clean side. The do not kill the virus just prevent it from getting through. You need to be careful touching the mask and than your eyes or face.

This is especially true is you are using the cloth mask. Mask are typically cheap and thrown out regularly. The longer you use them the more careful you need to be.

There are people who actually dispute that masks don’t work? I mean they may not be 100% effective, but there’s no doubt a mask will offer some reduction in transmissibility of a communicable airborn virus.

I thought we all hated them because they suck, not because we thought they’re ineffective.
You have folks who won’t simply because they “don’t like it” or selfishly believe the disease is not going to hurt them so why bother. Either way they are missing the point that no preventative measure, other than quarantining, is not 100%, but if adhered to lessen the probability of spreading the disease. Crazy concept that we might take measures to help those out around us, and if we all did that, it actually would help with a faster return to “normalcy.”

No masks.

I see people wearing a mask, and I think “they watch CNN”

The fact that Covid-19 has become political is one of the tragic results of our time.

The virus had the potential to unify a country past their differences. Instead, it has just divided us further.

This is because we have an incredibly divisive president who doesn't claim responsibility for his actions, and an incompetent democratic party without conviction who can't get out of their own way.

The result is millions of people who believe covid is a hoax, masks dont work, old people should die, etc...all because they heard it on some news show or read it on the internet.

Both sides believe awful and unreasonable things and justify it by talking about the awful unreasonable things the other side believes.

If worn properly, thE N95 mask protects people from being infected

Thanks.. gotcha. I wear masks; believer in them.

But when I see people wearing masks with an exhale vent, I assume that's not helping me or others around them. But is helping the wearer of the vented mask.

I haven't examined one. I guess the vent still has a stopper that goes in and out, so it at least diffuses their exhale somewhat.

Reactions: Clemson Goat
I have an N95 I wear when I go to the grocery store

did you do a fit test and do you know how to properly use it? Sanitize it? If not you’re wasting it and it’s not doing anything. People have no clue what a N95 mask is or how to use...but hey...you have a N95 mask and it sounds cool

Last edited:
If worn properly, thE N95 mask protects people from being infected

If properly worn? Most didnt even know what a N95 mask was before this or that by OSHA standards of you don’t conduct a fit test before wearing it isn’t even properly worn. And fit test, like lots of PPE supplies out there, are not easily obtained with proper FDA and plant certifications but hey...I have a N95 mask

Reactions: PmaTiger
If properly worn? Most didnt even know what a N95 mask was before this or that by OSHA standards of you don’t conduct a fit test before wearing it isn’t even properly worn. And fit test, like lots of PPE supplies out there, are not easily obtained with proper FDA and plant certifications but hey...I have a N95 mask

Seems like your issue is with people having masks who didn’t have a fit test and don’t know how to wear them properly, instead of the role that an N95 masks serves, which was really the point of my original post...

Just as a i predicted, we will have people walking around and mentally (or overtly) shaming others for wearing masks. People like this are the problem, not someone who chooses to wear a mask for any particular reason

I literally got called a pussy in the publix's parking lot yesterday because I was wearing a mask. First of all, they mumbled it, which makes me believe they were just projecting their feelings about themselves. I just shook my head in disbelief as I walked to my car. People are ridiculous.

I literally got called a pussy in the publix's parking lot yesterday because I was wearing a mask. First of all, they mumbled it, which makes me believe they were just projecting their feelings about themselves. I just shook my head in disbelief as I walked to my car. People are ridiculous.
An obese couple made fun of my mask as I was walking out of Home Depot a few weeks ago. I’m wearing this hot, uncomfortable mask all through this hardware store for people with underlying conditions like you, jack wagons. Unbelievable.

Many providers across the country had to recycle their N95 masks for a large portion of March and into April because there weren’t enough. I know I did.
I have been amazed at the number of people I have seen in public with a N95 mask that are not fitted properly.

Reactions: fatpiggy
The fact that Covid-19 has become political is one of the tragic results of our time.

The virus had the potential to unify a country past their differences. Instead, it has just divided us further.

This is because we have an incredibly divisive president who doesn't claim responsibility for his actions, and an incompetent democratic party without conviction who can't get out of their own way.

The result is millions of people who believe covid is a hoax, masks dont work, old people should die, etc...all because they heard it on some news show or read it on the internet.

Both sides believe awful and unreasonable things and justify it by talking about the awful unreasonable things the other side believes.
Trumps only half as divisive as Obama and the main stream media. Unfortunately, the media profits off of this.

An obese couple made fun of my mask as I was walking out of Home Depot a few weeks ago. I’m wearing this hot, uncomfortable mask all through this hardware store for people with underlying conditions like you, jack wagons. Unbelievable.
I wear a mask inside places, not just for myself, but to make other people feel comfortable. The question I have, is are you one of those people that wear your mask in your car?
You seem like you could be. Me and most others do laugh at those people.

did you do a fit test and do you know how to properly use it? Sanitize it? If not you’re wasting it and it’s not doing anything. People have no clue what a N95 mask is or how to use...but hey...you have a N95 mask and it sounds cool
Didn’t know about that, just threw it away and will now be going maskless since you know better

Let me make this even more clear. It really doesn’t matter if it is N95 or a bandana wrapped around your face. If you want to have football in the fall, you need to wear a mask now and stop shaming others for wearing one.

Information and data are a growing and evolving thing. Your cumulative exposure to the COVID19 particles greatly increases your chance of getting infected. That is why sitting in a restaurant or church pew for an hour near someone who (likely unknowingly) is infected allows for rapid spread. Any mask - any at all - reduces this. But for this to work, EVERYBODY needs to wear one.

Guys, this really isn’t hard. If you want football in the fall, wear a mask when you are around other people.

Trey DuBose, MD

I’ve been wearing a snorkel and scuba mask is that sufficient ?

Yes, it is. Also gas masks work well. This is my go to protective device. Whenever people stare I just scream at them at the top of my lungs, and they go away.

Last Tuesday I ordered a body suit with nano technology. Should be here in 36 months. Planning ahead is the key.

Seems like your issue is with people having masks who didn’t have a fit test and don’t know how to wear them properly, instead of the role that an N95 masks serves, which was really the point of my original post...

no my issue is people wasting masks because they don’t know how to use them and no normal citizen should be utilizing an N95 mask in public when they do not know how to use, reuse, sanitize, etc.

Now there are conflicting reports on the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a mask.

The hysteria is insane

He is exhibit A.

exhibit A? Hahaha

yeah well I am headed to a meeting with clinicians to redo their formulary and guess what...not a one of us will be wearing a mask.

it’s amazing how I haven’t worn one, didn’t really quarantine, been out and about the entire time working and shopping, around healthcare professionals in the post acute arena and not one person I’ve hung out with or been around has had it and not many have worn mask unless seeing patients

Last edited:
This virus is no more deadly than the flu, perhaps less, for someone my age. I am not going to wear a mask, just as I was not wearing a mask before this all started.

Has anyone studied the long term continual use of a mask? I don’t think it is healthy, and is probably more detrimental To my health than being exposed to a virus.

My liberal friend are even concerned with mask wearing. Do you want your infant being supervised by people with masks? Facial expressions are very important to children, is there a link to autism?

there is nothing about this virus that should cause rash decision making. It needs to stop, now.

there will be football this fall with or without masks, and it will be at full capacity. Masks will slowly fade into The ether in .... about 2-3 weeks.

exhibit A? Hahaha

yeah well I am headed to a meeting with clinicians to redo their formulary and guess what...not a one of us will be wearing a mask.

it’s amazing how I haven’t worn one, didn’t really quarantine, been out and about the entire time working and shopping, around healthcare professionals in the post acute arena and not one person I’ve hung out with or been around has had it and not many have worn mask unless seeing patients

I'm so glad that you are here to correct the multiple MDs that have posted in this thread before you. I'm sure that your knowledge from selling drugs / medical supplies / medical equipment and interactions with doctors makes you a much better expert on this subject than the people who are trained as physicians.

This virus is no more deadly than the flu, perhaps less, for someone my age. I am not going to wear a mask, just as I was not wearing a mask before this all started.

Has anyone studied the long term continual use of a mask? I don’t think it is healthy, and is probably more detrimental To my health than being exposed to a virus.

My liberal friend are even concerned with mask wearing. Do you want your infant being supervised by people with masks? Facial expressions are very important to children, is there a link to autism?

there is nothing about this virus that should cause rash decision making. It needs to stop, now.

there will be football this fall with or without masks, and it will be at full capacity. Masks will slowly fade into The ether in .... about 2-3 weeks.

GregariousSharpArmadillo-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Union County Tiger
No troll. The info is out there. It’s not my responsibility to find it for you. Do a little reading

exhibit A? Hahaha

This. I quarantined for about 3 days just before Easter.

Since then (been listening to the Stanford guy all along) I have been to grocery stores, Lowe’s, or other public place almost everyday. No masks, no gloves, no hand sanitizer.

Still here, no problems.

No troll. The info is out there. It’s not my responsibility to find it for you. Do a little reading

I'd love to see your evidence that any of these statements are true:
1) A mask is probably more detrimental to my health than being exposed to a virus.
2) Masks will slowly fade into The ether in .... about 2-3 weeks.
3) Somehow there is a risk of autism to children for being around people (who are not there parents) wearing masks

This. I quarantined for about 3 days just before Easter.

Since then (been listening to the Stanford guy all along) I have been to grocery stores, Lowe’s, or other public place almost everyday. No masks, no gloves, no hand sanitizer.

Still here, no problems.

Again, I'm sure that the board benefits greatly from your wealth of knowledge on this subject compared to the medical professionals.

I am so glad I am not this stupid

I'm so glad that you are here to correct the multiple MDs that have posted in this thread before you. I'm sure that your knowledge from selling drugs / medical supplies / medical equipment and interactions with doctors makes you a much better expert on this subject than the people who are trained as physicians.

I talk to physicians all the time as well. Lots of differing opinions out there and I’ve also stated my opinion could be very wrong. I’m an adult and I make my decisions on situations based on the facts in front of me.

Trey Dubose, whom is one of the MDs who posted is a long time friend. Just because his opinion differs from mine doesn’t change that I respect his.

I’ve seen nothing that justifies people losing jobs, business’ closing, and a complete shut down. Suicide numbers are gonna spike as I’ve stated. The government can’t buy us out of this economic crisis forever.

https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-coronavirus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

Last edited:
exhibit A? Hahaha

No one said you needed to wear one all the time.....I certainly don't. I only wear one in the grocery store or wal mart/target....any place where I'm likely to be around the elderly or people I don't know with comorbidities. It's not that hard and it takes almost no effort on my part.

You always get triggered by the people who talk about wearing N-95 masks, but that's not the real issue here IMO, especially considering 99% of the general public doesn't have an N-95 mask.

No one said you needed to wear one all the time.....I certainly don't. I only wear one in the grocery store or wal mart/target....any place where I'm likely to be around the elderly or people I don't know with comorbidities. It's not that hard and it takes almost no effort on my part.

You always get triggered by the people who talk about wearing N-95 masks, but that's not the real issue here IMO, especially considering 99% of the general public doesn't have an N-95 mask.

I don’t get triggered. I laugh...most people didn’t even know what a N95 was prior to this now I have people caring me Almost daily “can I get on of them N95 mask from you for my grandma” or something along those lines

If you wanna wear a mask wear one but don’t look down your nose at people like me that don’t. I wore one to Costco and didn’t bitch or cry about it because they required me to.

But to say I get triggered is far from the truth. Im simply providing facts that by OSHA standards N95 masks require a fit test. Those mask should only be worn and used by medical professionals and the general public that use them are idiots for 2 reasons: 1. Don’t know how to use it 2. The healthcare community that work with infectious disease need every one they can get.

That’s just stating facts. Now I’m gonna finish this cup of coffee and head to my meeting

I talk to physicians all the time as well. Lots of differing opinions out there and I’ve also stated my opinion could be very wrong. I’m an adult and I make my decisions on situations based on the facts in front of me.

Trey Dubose, whom is one of the MDs who posted is a long time friend. Just because his opinion differs from mine doesn’t change that I respect his.

I’ve seen nothing that justifies people losing jobs, business’ closing, and a complete shut down. Suicide numbers are gonna spike as I’ve stated. The government can’t buy us out of this economic crisis forever.

https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-coronavirus-rates-during-pandemic-death-by/6201962/

What does the above have to do with the subject of this thread? I agree with you that we shouldn't be shut down.....the masks are an alternative to shutting down i.e. they are a part of the solution not a part of the problem. I'm in total agreement that people shouldn't lose jobs and suffer financial hardship and ruin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT