ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

They aren’t gonna wanna pay the money or spend the time to get nothing. I’m not sure what the benefit is of spending time to fight for something you aren’t getting
Nicole Simpson's (aka OJ Simpson's slashed wife) family found that out, but then, OJ was acquitted and the civil verdict was their sense of justice.

Reactions: yemassee
The more I’ve seen of Griffin’s closing the more I’m thinking WTF. Did Alex force this? Did Poot refuse to do it? Did Griffin do it to sink Alex? I mean it was as horrific and uninspiring as you could imagine. He read a sheet of paper and it was obvious he didn’t believe 90% of what he was saying.
I “heard” Alex told Griffin he was doing the closing yesterday afternoon.

I assume he was reading the jury’s dislike of Harpootlian.

It‘s really hard to get past both Paul and Maggie’s phones going dark with in a minute or two of each other. Both were prolific users and had plenty of activity leading up to the that time period. Paul was in like 3 different conversations using various apps and then just stops.

You can argue TOD all you want. A reasonable individual will conclude that the phone activity stopped because they were no longer alive.
Agreed. It would be more in doubt if it were just one of them. For both of them to go dark within a couple of minutes of each other when they had both been active and communicating up until that point is very telling. The probability of that happening for any other reason is remote at best.

Alot will depend on what these lawyers assigned to dig into his assets find. Cannot get blood out of a turnip. Believe retirement accounts are not fair game and he apparently has 2.5 million in that. He cashed in an IRA to pay for his defense.

Not following, how does Alex’s current financial situation have anything to do regarding the state going to trial or working a plea on the financial crimes?

I have no idea how the jury will vote, but In my estimation Ellick is likely guilty. Ellick is slimy, theatrical, and seems like he sold his soul long ago. He may care about some people in his life...but NOWHERE near as much as he cares about HIMSELF.

Meadors may have been reading TI. Pretty sure that last line was somewhere a few pages back. 👏
I thought the same thing when he said it...it was available for him since Sunday night.

Reactions: CarolinaLove
I “heard” Alex told Griffin he was doing the closing yesterday afternoon.

I assume he was reading the jury’s dislike of Harpootlian.
Not true. Right or wrong, good or bad, it was the plan all along. Harpootlian did the opening, Griffin the closing.

Now that he is guilty, maybe Alex will tell the truth about what happened that night. I think there are lot of inconsistencies that that leave open questions. Not to Alex's guilt, but how it all went down.

1) It happened so fast, its difficult to kill them both unless you went ambush style. It seemed more crime of passion/opportunity than planned, especially the way Alex reacted and panicked right after. Basically the 2 shooter theory.
2) Alex only seemed to try to want to hide evidence of Maggie's murder and not as much Paul's (took her phone, hid the gun etc).
3) Alex said multiple times in interviews that he wanted to clear Paul's name, never talked about Maggie. What does that even mean after Paul has been murdered?
4) Killing his family doesn't really get Alex out of any financial crimes. If Alex was willing to plan out a murder to hide the financial crimes, he would have killed someone that could tie him to them.

So from my convoluted brain from listening to podcasts only, this is what I think happened. Paul was basically an evil child. Boat crash, housekeeper, man in the middle of the road, all surrounded him. If we are talking circumstantial evidence, its all over Paul as a murderer. So either
1) Paul shot Maggie (because he was just evil) and Alex killed him
or
2) Maggie finally realized her son was rotten and shot him, and she was subsequently murdered by Alex. Shotgun and low angle make this more likely than scenario 1. Then Alex took out Maggie with the Blackout which would be a tough gun for a lady to handle.

Alex is too proud to admit that Paul was what he was and that the Alex Murdaugh family was just plain f-ed up. He'd rather lie about it all to protect his name than have the public think his family was a failure or had any flaws at all. In either scenario, Alex was covering for Paul. He's either clearing Paul's name for being evil or clearing Paul's name for killing his mother.

I'm 100% sure Alex killed one of them and should spend the rest of his life behind bars.
I'm 100% sure that Alex's hubris is what hung him by his nuts.

I clerked for a federal judge more than a couple of years ago, but I didn't know how much support SC state judges have. It can be a lot of work.
Surprisingly not a ton of work at the circuit level for a clerk. Most rely or request research from counsel and require submitted orders. Don’t know any circuit judges that write their own orders anymore. Too much volume.

Reactions: TigerTC
Conviction on murder puts him in a real prison... financial crimes would have only been a white collar prison. That's why he wouldn't take a plea...
Not a lot of white collar prisons in the state system. financial crimes would like be concurrent and earlier parole because they are non-violent.

Why did Alan Wilson say he would not make this a t?
Not sure what he said about it, but the burden of evidence is much higher in a death penalty case and he knew they mostly had circumstantial evidence.

Not sure what he said about it, but the burden of evidence is much higher in a death penalty case and he knew they mostly had circumstantial evidence.
Death penalty is a two phase trial. They would have to determine guilt vs innocence then present evidence about the crime, his ability to serve time, mental state rehabilitation and other factors. There is a higher burden and it would have been difficult to meet the threshold for death in this case. Also, politically it could be problematic if they sought the death penalty and didn’t get it. Here L-WOP is a huge win for the AG.

Then why did Poot want to split the closing but was denied by judge?
Good question, but I know for a fact that the plan was as it happened. They may have wanted to split up the work which would make it easier to prepare. Not sure.

Now that he is guilty, maybe Alex will tell the truth about what happened that night. I think there are lot of inconsistencies that that leave open questions. Not to Alex's guilt, but how it all went down.

1) It happened so fast, its difficult to kill them both unless you went ambush style. It seemed more crime of passion/opportunity than planned, especially the way Alex reacted and panicked right after. Basically the 2 shooter theory.
2) Alex only seemed to try to want to hide evidence of Maggie's murder and not as much Paul's (took her phone, hid the gun etc).
3) Alex said multiple times in interviews that he wanted to clear Paul's name, never talked about Maggie. What does that even mean after Paul has been murdered?
4) Killing his family doesn't really get Alex out of any financial crimes. If Alex was willing to plan out a murder to hide the financial crimes, he would have killed someone that could tie him to them.

So from my convoluted brain from listening to podcasts only, this is what I think happened. Paul was basically an evil child. Boat crash, housekeeper, man in the middle of the road, all surrounded him. If we are talking circumstantial evidence, its all over Paul as a murderer. So either
1) Paul shot Maggie (because he was just evil) and Alex killed him
or
2) Maggie finally realized her son was rotten and shot him, and she was subsequently murdered by Alex. Shotgun and low angle make this more likely than scenario 1. Then Alex took out Maggie with the Blackout which would be a tough gun for a lady to handle.

Alex is too proud to admit that Paul was what he was and that the Alex Murdaugh family was just plain f-ed up. He'd rather lie about it all to protect his name than have the public think his family was a failure or had any flaws at all. In either scenario, Alex was covering for Paul. He's either clearing Paul's name for being evil or clearing Paul's name for killing his mother.

I'm 100% sure Alex killed one of them and should spend the rest of his life behind bars.
I'm 100% sure that Alex's hubris is what hung him by his nuts.
Since they both died, one of them would have had gunshot residue on hands. No evidence of that.

I think his girlfriend is an attorney. She's stood by him through this mess, so I'll bet he'll marry her. He won't starve, but he joins the regular folks in making his path in life rosy. The family dynasty on AM's branch of the Murdaugh Dynasty broke and threw AM and Buster to the ground.
Don't know if Maggie's mom & dad have any money, but yeah, Buster is going to have to start earning his way in life.

Unless he has cash offshore…the retirement fund covered his attorneys and everything else will go to paying legal fees

I find it hard to believe he has much or anything left
There was a very good article linked a few pages back about his assets. A lot of it is being held by custodians of the court for trials from former clients who he stole from. Most of that is probably gone forever. All he has is what he has hidden abroad, however much that may be.

Reactions: nmerritt11
Surprisingly not a ton of work at the circuit level for a clerk. Most rely or request research from counsel and require submitted orders. Don’t know any circuit judges that write their own orders anymore. Too much volume.
Yeah, I spent the better part of the year organizing the judges stock holdings book, managing the docket, communicating with counsel and reading prisoner mail. He started trusting me and let me sit on the bench for one trial and one PCR hearing. The trial was one of the first in the country suing bat manufacturers for unsafe exit velocity.

Man, the PCR one was unreal. Judge granted PCR in part because prosecutor withheld critical gun shot residue evidence. Everyone, and I mean everyone said he was guilty as hell. He was convicted and sentenced to death.

Made me look at the judicial system in a whole new light.

Last edited:
Had no idea who Alan Wilson was before this trial, but he just got himself re-elected with that press conference.
Alan was impressive on direct the other day. Go back and watch it if you didn’t see it.

I have to disagree with him on SLEDs handling of the case. They did some good work but there were some big misses IMO. Feel like they treated Alec different than most folks at the beginning of their investigation.

I don’t know man, there is so much evidence against this guy.… Talk about career suicide in the State of SC, you couldn’t go out in public again if you were THAT judge.
I dn't watch the whole trial, but I see nothing wrong with what the judge did.

What is the burden of proof in a death penalty case?

Thought he did a good job of focusing on the facts and using appropriate testimonies. Great job
John Meadors dad is a retired Methodist minister. Past Minister at St. Johns in Anderson, Buncombe Street in Greenville and then became the Methodist Bishop for the State of Mississippi. That could give y'all some perspective.

I dn't watch the whole trial, but I see nothing wrong with what the judge did.

I don’t think there is either. I do think the expert witness could have been a little better with the iPhone tossing. Like made some notes and counted the number of times.

The defense agreed he was an expert at first but clearly not aligned with the testimony he gave. It really was funny when asked if he had any more knowledge about the raise to wake feature than any other person, he quickly said no.

I don’t know how big of a deal the indictment part could play on appeal. Owns did lie about the shot gun shell part. The blood spatter was a good faith deal, an expert had indicated that there was blood splatter but it was proven to be incorrect later.

I’d love to know more of what exactly went down with the juror that was kicked off this morning. Given that the remaining jurors reached a guilty verdict so quickly, and several of the reporters said the woman told others that AM was innocent - seems like a targeted strike to get her off the jury. Who sent the email to report her? Someone on the jury, the state or SLED…

Reactions: jeffcoat
Justice was definitely served by the verdict. The stone faced reaction by AM said it all. An innocent man would have been emotional. He knew it was coming because of how quick the verdict was rendered. What a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive. I just watched Meadors and thought he was awesome. The judge was awesome throughout the whole trial. AM did himself no favors by taking the stand! The evidence was already overwhelming and then him admitting the lies on the stand was the nail in the coffin.

Also doing my part by keeping this thread going. This has been an awesome thread. I’ve read every post in it!

Last edited:
The more I’ve seen of Griffin’s closing the more I’m thinking WTF. Did Alex force this? Did Poot refuse to do it? Did Griffin do it to sink Alex? I mean it was as horrific and uninspiring as you could imagine. He read a sheet of paper and it was obvious he didn’t believe 90% of what he was saying.

You are wrong, @Boom4life and @poates6 both said it was great and a game changer. 🍯🍯🍯🍯🍯

life without parole.

So not really a bad conciliation prize if you are the state asking for death. I agree that while there really isn‘t a higher legal hurdle, in practice it is a tougher sell with out an iron clad case.

This case would have likely needed a little more to ask for the death penalty. However, I am not so sure it wouldn’t have been justified.

How does the jury vote work. Do they take an initial vote before discussing? If so, is the thought the vote was either unanimous or close to unanimous? Some discussions and then another vote that led to verdict?
Jurors aren’t supposed to discuss the case amongst each other until they are given the case to deliberate.

oey avid hunter. He could have easily had a bull body hunting outfit on with gloves and disposed of that. Rinse the shoe prints, put hose back on, camo hunting shit in a bag with gloves on, and away he goes
yep u got dat right

Wait until tomorrow he will likely comment in full on what he really thinks of the trial during the sentencing.

Huge fan of Judge Newman here too! Wondering if the Judge knew the convict or if the convict had tried cases before him prior to this trial. Will be interested to learn of any “jailhouse Justice” that might be served in addition to the court’s sentence. Big Lance is probably smiling tonight.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT