ADVERTISEMENT

⚖️ MURDAUGH MURDERS & TRIAL THREAD ⚖️

I’m not a lawyer dammit…beg plead and bargain and agree to not appeal and accept the sentence in order to not go to trial for any of the other crimes he committed

And transparency I have no idea of this is possible. He’s getting minimum 30 years

His profound narcissism will prevent pleading on the financial stuff (even though he has already admitted to them)……plus additional court time will give him the opportunity to dress up and perform again outside of the hellhole that he will be living in. And waste more of the state’s money. And can’t wait to see how big his fan club of fawning females becomes.

Judge Newman's son died in January. I cannot imagine that he is going to have any kind words for a family annihilator, Alex Murdaugh, this morning.

Here is a clip of Judge Newman at sentencing of the Uber driver murderer a few years ago. Perhaps a preview of today's sentencing, even.
I suspect he won't go easy on AM.

Last edited:
His profound narcissism will prevent pleading on the financial stuff (even though he has already admitted to them)……plus additional court time will give him the opportunity to dress up and perform again outside of the hellhole that he will be living in. And waste more of the state’s money. And can’t wait to see how big his fan club of fawning females becomes.

Not so sure I agree, Someone has to pay for the defense and that is an expensive endeavor when it is a foregone conclusion.

I haven’t researched the issue lately, so others correct me if wrong - but if LWOP there is an automatic appeal provision

I have seen some judges give like 45 + years instead of life. Technically, he could do 30+30+ 5+5 CONSECUTIVELY and not trigger an automatic appeal - again that may have changed

I realize it is moot because AM will appeal regardless and there are appealable issues (financial crimes evidence admission for one)

Not to mention I think there are possible claims for ineffective assistance of counsel based on some decisions made

I feel that any possible issue or mistake may be overridden by AM taking the stand and giving an appellate court the catchall of overwhelming evidence and making any such issue or mistake moot

who knows?!?!?!

But now the State can force the issue with the financial crimes - ADMITTED ON THE STAND BY AM - and have that sentence in addition to the murder sentence.

Typically you dont declare a death penalty case unless as someone else mentioned, there is absolutely no doubt of a guilty verdict. The filing of an appeal will happen within 10 days to start the process no matter what the sentence is.
As some point Alex will file a PCR which is separate from an appeal where he will argue that he received ineffective assistance of counsel among other arguments that are not part of the appeals process. The AG’s appellate and PCR team will take over now. That is why you saw Don Zalenka from the AG’s office sitting at their table the entire time as his team will handle those issues.

Wonder what ole Creighton’s celebratory drink of choice was.

They were awful.
It’s hard to win a case without a technicality when your client is as guilty as the day is long. Their only chance was the jury questioning the cops and as we’ve seen repeatedly, in courtrooms across America, that almost never happens.

Paul’s video that put Alex at the kennels and his own testimony sealed it up. I can’t believe the defense put him on the stand so he could implicate himself on dozens of other crimes. Truly unbelievable shit

It’s hard to win a case without a technicality when your client is as guilty as the day is long. Their only chance was the jury questioning the cops and as we’ve seen repeatedly, in courtrooms across America, that almost never happens.

Paul’s video that put Alex at the kennels and his own testimony sealed it up. I can’t believe the defense put him on the stand so he could implicate himself on dozens of other crimes. Truly unbelievable shit
stand appearance was all AM and against attorneys advice

Obviously this is in the 20/20 hindsight category, but it seemed like 100-percent of people on the outside operated under the theory: "Yep, definitely guilty. But it's going to be a hung jury because all it takes is one."

Turned out the jury was right there with everyone else as to the certainty of his guilt.

Huge fan of Judge Newman here too! Wondering if the Judge knew the convict or if the convict had tried cases before him prior to this trial. Will be interested to learn of any “jailhouse Justice” that might be served in addition to the court’s sentence. Big Lance is probably smiling tonight.

"Yo Ellick, did you drop the soap again?"

"I don't remember dropping the soap, but if the data indicates I did then I might have."

1 Shirley temple, extra cherries and 1 Jack & coke

This doesn't look like a Jack and Coke guy to me. Straight, high-quality bourbon on the rocks.

639cb84f4bbc4.image.jpg

Since they both died, one of them would have had gunshot residue on hands. No evidence of that.
They were both killed at close range. Any residue test would have been inconclusive from being a shooter or a victim. Paul more so than Maggie obviously.

He can write a book and do the TV rounds and make enough to live comfortably the rest of his life. I've heard he's not out of the woods yet with SLED based on what they found at the property.
What did they find at the property?

The more I’ve seen of Griffin’s closing the more I’m thinking WTF. Did Alex force this? Did Poot refuse to do it? Did Griffin do it to sink Alex? I mean it was as horrific and uninspiring as you could imagine. He read a sheet of paper and it was obvious he didn’t believe 90% of what he was saying.

I posted yesterday during Jim's close that I thought he was doing good. But I retract that today, having gone back and watched again. He was bad and I almost felt sorry for him, especially when he was trying to defend Alex's 283 steps from 9:02 to 9:06. It was just brutal to watch.

Not sure what he said about it, but the burden of evidence is much higher in a death penalty case and he knew they mostly had circumstantial evidence.
Also doesn’t seem like victims families wanted the death penalty

Reactions: festus1
I posted yesterday during Jim's close that I thought he was doing good. But I retract that today, having gone back and watched again. He was bad and I almost felt sorry for him, especially when he was trying to defend Alex's 283 steps from 9:02 to 9:06. It was just brutal to watch.
I think that Jim Griffin really liked Paul from getting to know him about the boat case.
At the end of his close he soft balled the jury to acquit on behalf of Alex, Buster, Maggie, "and my friend, Paul".
Imagine how awful he was feeling as he had to defend the murderer of his friend.

You are not looking very hard because I have posted
Don’t misunderstand. I appreciated your playing devils advocate. It added greatly to the back and forth discussion and made the thread much, much more interesting. I think it was wrong (as did the jury) but still, it made everyone here look twice to make sure their opinion lined up with the evidence.

Last edited:
I think that Jim Griffin really liked Paul from getting to know him about the boat case.
At the end of his close he soft balled the jury to acquit on behalf of Alex, Buster, Maggie, "and my friend, Paul".
Imagine how awful he was feeling as he had to defend the murderer of his friend.
I do wonder how much Jim’s likely belief in Alex’s guilt damaged his ability to persuade. It would have to be unimaginably difficult to defend that guy.

Like you said, I think he was probably fond of the family. Poot, on the other hand, seemed to care less.

Reactions: Ghetto III
Judge Newman's son died in January. I cannot imagine that he is going to have any kind words for a family annihilator, Alex Murdaugh, this morning.

Here is a clip of Judge Newman at sentencing of the Uber driver murderer a few years ago. Perhaps a preview of today's sentencing, even.
I suspect he won't go easy on AM.
Watched that entire trial. He went big boss on that whole family. Big Newman fan over here.

he was all over the place...he never finished making a point without going on to something totally unrelated and then coming back to it. I had a hard time following especially while working and listening.

seemed unprepared honestly

Reactions: sloanMB

I’m pretty sure he took the stand against the advice of his attorneys. Sounds like they were pretty adamant about him not testifying.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT