ADVERTISEMENT

Any one see Ed Oliver acting like

He lost NFL money with that stunt.

Maybe, but I don't think the NFL cares whether college players care about their team. All they care about is whether they'll play hard and play well for the money they're going to give them. It would be nice if NFL teams cared more about how committed to their college teams their prospects are, but NFL teams are just about the bottom line. That's part of why I'm much more into college sports, and hate to see guys like Oliver who are singularly focused on playing professionally, tot he point of skipping half their last season.

Position of authority my ass. You don't get to undress someone like that....and then beg him to play next week. From espn article:

Applewhite said Monday that Oliver would not practice until he felt healthy enough to play. Despite Thursday's sideline incident, Applewhite said he'll welcome back Oliver with open arms, leaving the door open for him to play in Houston's regular-season finale at Memphis next week.

"I want him back, I want him a part of our football team," Applewhite said. "If he wants to play, I want him to play. ... You're gonna deal with emotions all the time. And that's our job as coaches, to help them and help them develop that maturity and move on, and that's my job. If he lets me help him, I absolutely will, any way I can."

--

He's not even gonna discipline him, that wasn't about the jacket, that was about him not playing, making it a bitch move.

He should kick him off the team. Period

He should kick him off the team. Period

I don't see how he leaves him on the team if he wants to maintain control, but you see what that was about now right? He didn't care about the jacket policy, he wants him to play.

Just here to say Oliver is better than Lawrence/Wilkins.

And to all the "he plays against scrubs" takes, see Louisville 2016. Oliver completely wrecked the guy that rang up 1000 yds against Wilkins and co.

He was also a bitch for taking a jacket meant for the team that was playing and getting pissed when he didn't get his way.

Reactions: PainClinic
Not going to respond to all 55 notifications. But I did read everything.

Summary of my thoughts, and I stand by them.

If Oliver is healthy, I think he should play. But, the precedence has been set (Bosa, Fournette, McCaffrey, etc) that guys can miss games, injury related or not, and it doesn’t negatively impact their draft stock. This issue will not be going away.

What Oliver did was not right. The coach also did not handle this correctly. They both were in the wrong. Oliver should not be yelling at his coach. The coach should not be physically taking off a player’s jacket on the sidelines during a game. There was obviously built up frustration on his end, and he handled it the wrong way. Im not sure how folks do not recognize that both acted out of line.

I love Christian and Dex and both are 1st round talents and high character guys. I’m simply stating that Ed Oliver is a better pro prospect based on today’s NFL. No shade on the Clemson guys. A lot of orange colored glasses ITT

And no one in here would tell Ed Oliver to his face without a firearm that he’s a “punk bitch”, so that’s the epitome of an Internet tough guy.

Finally, most college players don’t love their head coach. I stand by that. A very positively unique advantage that Clemson seems to have.

As always, folks here get all up in arms over the smallest things. I can’t imagine how they handle real life adverse situations that come their way
Well said on all points

My question is this: If the guy refuses to play why has he not been suspended from the team. Why was he even on the sideline. He should not have been allowed in the stadium unless he bought a ticket.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
I don't see how he leaves him on the team if he wants to maintain control, but you see what that was about now right? He didn't care about the jacket policy, he wants him to play.

I don't think you can really separate the two things, since the reason he wasn't supposed to be wearing the jacket is that he wasn't playing. Still, Applewhite is encouraging Oliver's behavior by keeping him on the team on the off-chance Oliver decides he wants to play.

Just here to say Oliver is better than Lawrence/Wilkins.

And to all the "he plays against scrubs" takes, see Louisville 2016. Oliver completely wrecked the guy that rang up 1000 yds against Wilkins and co.

He was also a bitch for taking a jacket meant for the team that was playing and getting pissed when he didn't get his way.

Oliver being great and also playing against scrubs are not mutually exclusive realities. Yes he played great against Louisville in 2016, but that is not a valid sample size to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion. My argument isn't that Oliver would struggle playing in the power 5, but rather that Wilkins and Lawrence would both put up similar numbers to Oliver playing in Houston's conference.

My question is this: If the guy refuses to play why has he not been suspended from the team. Why was he even on the sideline. He should not have been allowed in the stadium unless he bought a ticket.

My hunch is that Applewhite isn't going to kick him off the team because that could possibly damage his draft stock. He's being diplomatic by allowing the biggest punk bitch to ever play college football to remain on the team, despite the fact that he is a selfish, punk bitch quitter.

I don't think you can really separate the two things, since the reason he wasn't supposed to be wearing the jacket is that he wasn't playing. Still, Applewhite is encouraging Oliver's behavior by keeping him on the team on the off-chance Oliver decides he wants to play.

No way he is worried about that in the middle of a game. It is what it is.

What measurables? They weigh more?

They both weigh more, and despite that weight, they move freakishly quick. This is especially true for Lawrence. You would be hard pressed to find a DT of his size that possesses his quickness. With Wilkins is about his quickness and his motor. I have no clue if either are stronger than Oliver....I'm sure they are all about the same in that area.

This may be a moot point because Oliver might not be comparable to Wilkins/Lawrence considering Oliver isn't big enough to play DT in the NFL IMO. He might be listed as a DE.

I tend to think that Lawrence ends up going Top 5 after the combine. His quickness and agility for a man of 330 pounds is not normal.

Saw this transpire in real time last might, which initially had me like @BAnksMcFadden and all "punk ass bitch." It sparked a convo in my fam, though. I have zero problem w/ a dude not wanting to risk his body, but imo, that dude needs to completely walk away from the team and the school. No more scholarship at that point. No more hanging out w/ the team. No more of whatever benefits the players are entitled to. And certainly no more jackets. JMO.

My hunch is that Applewhite isn't going to kick him off the team because that could possibly damage his draft stock. He's being diplomatic by allowing the biggest punk bitch to ever play college football to remain on the team, despite the fact that he is a selfish, punk bitch quitter.

Oliver cost himself some money last night. Showing your butt on t.v. to your head coach will hurt. Scouts will interview HC's and they can hurt players stock in more ways than one, commitment, coach ability, drive, coaches can undermine a players natural ability.

I'm not saying Applewhite WILL do that but he may not have to after last night. That can not be dismissed as "dawg" in a player or will to win...that was insubordination.

I remember years ago Les Miles at LSU put up a sign to scouts that if they were here to talk about certain players...don't bother!

http://thecomeback.com/crystalballr...iles-uses-a-sign-to-call-out-his-players.html

Last edited:
Wait until the combine. Dexter and Christian will both show out with measurables as good or better than Oliver. Both of them are bigger with elite speed and agility for their size. Oliver may end up going ahead of one or both of them, but it’s not written in stone.
You're forgetting that @NovaTiger77 is an Elite Bammer Fan and that makes him the authority on all college football talent. :rolleyes:

Reactions: NovaTiger77
Position of authority my ass. You don't get to undress someone like that....and then beg him to play next week. From espn article:

Applewhite said Monday that Oliver would not practice until he felt healthy enough to play. Despite Thursday's sideline incident, Applewhite said he'll welcome back Oliver with open arms, leaving the door open for him to play in Houston's regular-season finale at Memphis next week.

"I want him back, I want him a part of our football team," Applewhite said. "If he wants to play, I want him to play. ... You're gonna deal with emotions all the time. And that's our job as coaches, to help them and help them develop that maturity and move on, and that's my job. If he lets me help him, I absolutely will, any way I can."

--

He's not even gonna discipline him, that wasn't about the jacket, that was about him not playing, making it a bitch move.

You misuse words a lot. That wasnt begging. At no point.

Tebow just mentioned on First Take that both guys were in the wrong in his opinion. Said they should have enough jackets for everyone, lol.

He went on to say it's a bad look for Applewhite and recruiting. Then said he wouldn't want to play for him - he would want to play for Dabo. Said Dabo has the players backs and mentioned the Kelly Bryant situation. Doing things the right way pays off.

You misuse words a lot. That wasnt begging. At no point.

giphy.gif

Applewhite is a moron. If he played his cards right, he could leverage Oliver for the rest of his career. After this, there is no way Oliver is ever picking up the phone to talk to a recruit.

So tired of these control-freak dictator coaches.

Reactions: spskillz
When that opinion is shared solely by one, biased demographic, it absolutely is.
LOL you really are a punk ass little snot. How about a little bet that Clemson wins the National Title? Here's the bet: If Clemson wins the title you will never come back here and you will ask Cris Ard to perma ban you forever. If Bammer wins the title I'll do the same. :cool:

Last edited:
I would say more college players than not don’t love their college coaches. There’s not a lot of Dabo’s out there. A college coach is a means to an end, point blank. Especially at that level.

The coach literally physically strips a jacket off someone who was an All American and has done that University a huge service.

Am I saying Oliver was right? No. But, if I’m a NFL franchise that wants Aaron Donald 2.0 and knows as professionals I won’t be stripping a jacket off a player during a game, would I pass on this kid? Hell no!

He will never get passed on. Supreme talent always out weighs red flags/character issues in the NFL. I make that statement in general and not as an assumption on Oliver. I have never really heard of major issues with him prior and don't care to research. If this is the first incident he had, then teams want care.

I will say he was in the wrong for taking a jacket from one of his teammates that was playing. If that is the facts. If he was asked to remove the jacket and refused, then I give the coach more leeway in jerking the jacket off of him. What's the coach supposed to do say pretty please with sugar on top.

It's a little concerning for top players with nothing left to play for and quitting. I understand the financial decision and can't deny that decision.

Should the player remain with the team? How do the players feel? Is it a distraction of is he going to play isn't he going to play?

After putting in 3-4 years has earned the right to do anything he wants, even if it's a distraction to the team?

I almost think Applewhite should come out, say Oliver is no longer with the team, thank him for always being a great teammate and student athlete, and that he has bright future ahead of him in the NFL and wishes him well as he prepares for the next stage of his life. maybe even state the incident on the sideline was handled poorly by everyone involved and is not indicative of the coaches or Ed's character and again wish him the best.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Oliver being great and also playing against scrubs are not mutually exclusive realities. Yes he played great against Louisville in 2016, but that is not a valid sample size to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion. My argument isn't that Oliver would struggle playing in the power 5, but rather that Wilkins and Lawrence would both put up similar numbers to Oliver playing in Houston's conference.
Fine, so 1 game isn't a good sample size.

He also played against Oklahoma in 2016 and had 2 sacks and 7 tackles.

So against the last two Heisman winners - which also happen to be two of the most difficult QB's to tackle in recent memory - you've got a DT that's averaging 2 sacks, 2.5 tackles per loss, and 6.5 tackles per game. That is absolutely sick.

The other thing about Oliver is that he's the only one getting any significant attention on that line and he's still racking up ridiculous stats. We can say Dex gets double teamed so his impact doesn't show up in the stats. Oliver gets double teamed and he still puts up ridiculous stats. Wilkins gets the benefit of playing next to Dex and still can't put up anywhere near Oliver's stats.

Dex is a more prototypical DT in the NFL so I can see a scenario (albeit unlikely) where he gets drafted earlier but to say either one of our guys is a better collegiate player than Ed Oliver is absurd. Y'all need to take off the glasses on this one.

So against the last two Heisman winners - which also happen to be two of the most difficult QB's to tackle in recent memory - you've got a DT that's averaging 2 sacks, 2.5 tackles per loss, and 6.5 tackles per game. That is absolutely sick.

The other thing about Oliver is that he's the only one getting any significant attention on that line and he's still racking up ridiculous stats. We can say Dex gets double teamed so his impact doesn't show up in the stats. Oliver gets double teamed and he still puts up ridiculous stats. Wilkins gets the benefit of playing next to Dex and still can't put up anywhere near Oliver's stats.

Dex is a more prototypical DT in the NFL so I can see a scenario (albeit unlikely) where he gets drafted earlier but to say either one of our guys is a better collegiate player than Ed Oliver is absurd. Y'all need to take off the glasses on this one.
this is all i was trying to say...ive gone on record saying Oliver (had he not gotten hurt) might have deserved to be in NYC with his play, however I might draft Lawrence before him

Reactions: mccadoyle

Uh, okay. You should probably have quoted someone who said they were.

He will never get passed on. Supreme talent always out weighs red flags/character issues in the NFL. I make that statement in general and not as an assumption on Oliver. I have never really heard of major issues with him prior and don't care to research. If this is the first incident he had, then teams want care.
Laremy Tunsil is very interested in this take

Reactions: lherndo

--

If you don't understand that the HC is in a position of authority I don't know what to tell you. LMFAO at "undress someone like that ...". Everyone has an opinion, but sorry my friend you are absolutely wrong ITT.

is that not imporant for a defensive tackle anymore?

Aaron Donald is 6’1 280. Jon Allen is 6’3 290 (he’s a DT in a 4-man front) - exact same size as Oliver. Geno Atkins is 6’1 300. Grady Jarrett is 6’0 300. Malik Jackson is 6’5 290. Damion Square is 6’2 293. You want me to keep going? Thought so.

Aaron Donald is 6’1 280. Jon Allen is 6’3 290 (he’s a DT in a 4-man front) - exact same size as Oliver. Geno Atkins is 6’1 300. Grady Jarrett is 6’0 300. Malik Jackson is 6’5 290. Damion Square is 6’2 293. You want me to keep going? Thought so.
i knew you could do it

LOL you really are a punk ass little snot. How about a little bet that Clemson wins the National Title? Here's the bet: If Clemson wins the title you will never come back here and you will ask Cris Ard to perma ban you forever. If Bammer wins the title I'll do the same. :cool:

Please tell me you are serious. Not that it matters because you’ll just join under a different username.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT