ADVERTISEMENT

As of yesterday there were 15,226 people in the US hospitilized

The Orange Shadow

The Mariana Trench
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2002
in serious or critical condition due to Covid-19 related syptoms. There are over 900,000 hospital beds in the US.

There are currently 50,000 people in the world considered in serious or critical condiiton due to the virus.

This number has dropped each day this week.

Spot the damn ball.

There are also 875,696 active cases in the United States. That number is still climbing. There are only 155,737 total recovered cases. That ratio is NOT good. It essentially means that we are still at least 30 days away from actual (total) deaths in a best case scenario.

It’s not over yet and I do agree that we have to get the Economy back up and going, absolutely, but let’s not ignore that there are still tons of deaths coming, unfortunately.

That’s without any resurgence. We are only talking about the first wave, largely under Quarantine.

Require masks from everyone, limit large gatherings, get the Economy started back. It’s going to suck, but I think we’re going to have to do it.

Last edited:
It ain't over till it's over. It ain't over. I think the main problem here is that we still don't know where we are. The end of the beginning? I'm like everybody else. I am tired of all this. But, there is nothing I can do about it except follow the advice of people smarter than I am. And some of you ain't those people...

per-day-chart-deaths.png

Ignoring the spike caused by NYC adjusting their numbers, I don't see a down turn. In fact, looks like things are getting worse again.

Impossible to trend at this point. Testing and test reporting is still all over the place. Testing is still increasing big time so the number of positives will climb. Just this week S.C. saw a spike due to a really high number in Florence. I know for a fact that one private lab turned in 10 days worth of tests to DHEC in one day. Who knows how many have recovered.

Reactions: jmm45 and iamzcaptn
Clearly there are regions that are now and will be in a difficult situation for a while. The “one policy fits all” even at the state level is the problem. Containment should include limited in and outbound in the hot spots. It makes no sense to allow people in high infection areas to travel and create potential for spread. County level containment around the hot spots should be the goal and the balance 90% of the country should be on track to opening. It’s irresponsible to manage by fear based on national stats that are influenced greatly by a limited number of location data points.

If you’ve been paying attention, “hospital beds” are not the relevant metric

# of ICU beds with a ventilator is the bottleneck
In SC that capacity hasn’t been remotely challenged. In densely populated NE urban centers it was a bit of a closer thing but so far the challenge was met and even NYC didn’t have to use the Comfort for this purpose. So far so good re vents. We have far more non Covid pts on vents than Covid in our system. We aren’t letting our guard down.

No solution better than herd immunity. We are delaying progress unfortunately. Elderly and vulnerable stay isolated. Healthy get back to normal around people and build immunity if you’re exposed.

Also, ventilators have proven worse for these patients than not having ventilator. Need oxygen but not forced oxygen/ventilation.

I still only know 1 person who had a mild case of Covid 19. I know 1 person who knows someone who died from Covid 19. As a pastor, I have prayed for both situations. I live in Greenville County and have over 1500 friends on Facebook. I am a news junkie, following this virus somewhat closely. I realize I am extraordinarily blessed (even though I have battled cancer every day for almost 2 years). My conclusion is that the numbers, the politics, the relief effort, the economic impact have been humanly manipulated for a purpose that is is far more dangerous for our future than the Corona virus. Just one man’s opinion. Go Tigers!

No solution better than herd immunity. We are delaying progress unfortunately. Elderly and vulnerable stay isolated. Healthy get back to normal around people and build immunity if you’re exposed.

Also, ventilators have proven worse for these patients than not having ventilator. Need oxygen but not forced oxygen/ventilation.
This. If you are old or sick, stay home. Once you go on a ventilator you're dead anyway

Reactions: fatpiggy
Yes. Lets shut down the economy. Unemploy 30+million people, force people to stay in their houses and wear mask until at least next summer if a vaccine comes out, over a virus that only negatively affects high risk people.

People still can't comprehend that the point of quarantine and social distancing is not to prevent people from getting the virus. Its to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed at the same time...which isn't happening...anywhere.

The number of patients in Emory ICU 3 weeks ago averaged mid to upper 80s, last week upper 60s, beginning of this week 59 and yesterday 61.

Yes. Lets shut down the economy. Unemploy 30+million people, force people to stay in their houses and wear mask until at least next summer if a vaccine comes out, over a virus that only negatively affects high risk people.

People still can't comprehend that the point of quarantine and social distancing is not to prevent people from getting the virus. Its to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed at the same time...which isn't happening...anywhere.
Why aren’t hospitals overwhelmed? Because people are socially distancing themselves. At least through April. Still, the US has more deaths than any other nation. Last time I checked, we were not the largest nation in the world.

A F'n Men... In the beginning we were going off projections that we now know were way over estimated.

Ask yourself - Why can I go to lowes, stand in line with people directly in front of me and behind me, yet I can't put my boat in the water or go paddle boarding by myself. Ask your self why people are wearing their masks in their car, alone with the windows rolled up. Ask yourself why people who are wearing these home made masks are touching the front of the mask and then their face, not washing them, and wearing them over and over.

Were is the evidence based approach to all of this? Bah, Bah, we are a bunch of sheep... sad.

Why aren’t hospitals overwhelmed? Because people are socially distancing themselves. At least through April. Still, the US has more deaths than any other nation. Last time I checked, we were not the largest nation in the world.

And social distancing has bought them time to stock up. That was the point all along. Time to go.

That's the trick isn't it? If we weren't doing what we are doing what would the hospitals look like? What would the death rate look like? You can't point at the fact that things aren't that bad without taking into account that people are making an enormous effort to see that things aren't that bad. As I once pointed out: You never know what never happened.

Your takes on this pandemic are about the most ignorant on the board. Go back to your fashion posts and playing with your cats.

After the Seneca tornado I went and cleaned up for 2 days. No one wearing masks, no one social distancing. Strangers helping those in need...hugging, shaking hands, sharing tools, providing food, etc etc

I looked this morning and Oconee county has 24 reported cases

Everyone watch this and then ask yourself why this is being removed from Social Media sites...

https://www.bitchute.com/video/NkiM9fo1Ba0h/
Because some don't want the truth. It's all about money. Why do hospital want you to have the virus because of the money they receive. That's why even if the virus don't kill you and you have it at anytime they still put the virus as cause of death. Unbelievable that people can't see what's going on.

But there too there is a significant surplus. In fact, we are sending ventilators to other countries. Also ironically, many healthcare workers are being furloughed.

A sense of proportionality has clearly not set in yet.

Reactions: Conando

There is no bottleneck presently. Even the hot spot cities are OK for ICU beds and ventilators. US is now sending unneeded ventilators to Mexico and other countries.

1. You can't social distance indefinitely.

2. The original models predicted 2 million deaths in the US, with social distancing...we are at 60,000.

3. We are the most unhealthy nation in the world. Over 90% of those dying have obesity, hypertension, diabetes or some other condition.

Your takes on this pandemic are about the most ignorant on the board. Go back to your fashion posts and playing with your cats.

You have some serious issues. You need to get off my nuts and stop stalking my posts.

If you want to continue the lockdown, by all means, stay in your house. You seem like a fairly miserable person, so it probably fits you. But don't expect everyone to stay locked down until a vaccine comes out.

Because some don't want the truth. It's all about money. Why do hospital want you to have the virus because of the money they receive. That's why even if the virus don't kill you and you have it at anytime they still put the virus as cause of death. Unbelievable that people can't see what's going on.
This is not true....most have cancelled all non essential surgeries and that is a lot. They are not performing MRIs and CT scans. They are not seeing most patients outside of Covid patients. Most Dr offices are doing telemed visits and their caseload is 1/4 to 1/3 of normal. There are medical staff and providers that have been furloughed or laid off. They are doing all of this out of extreme caution to minimize the risks to other patients....not to make money.

Thank you.

After the Seneca tornado I went and cleaned up for 2 days. No one wearing masks, no one social distancing. Strangers helping those in need...hugging, shaking hands, sharing tools, providing food, etc etc

I looked this morning and Oconee county has 24 reported cases
A group of about 10 of us from Greenville area did the same thing. So far so good!

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1

Nah... People in SC are not socially distancing outside of not going to school and church.

Places where the public gather in close quarters are just as packed as ever.

The difference is, we live our life in isolation. We drive cars to work. We live in houses with just our immediate family, etc. It's just our natural lifestyle. Totally different than NYC or cities in Europe.

There's no reason for SC to be shut down right now.

I had shown signs and symptoms of coronavirus @Ron Munson until two weeks ago I had to leave work early because I felt so horrible. Once I got home I took my temperature on my own and was running a fever of 100F. Long story short, I called my doctor’s office again and was told to quarantine for two weeks no questions asked. They explained that they’d been seeing cases of coronavirus without all of the symptoms, such as a very dry cough which I didn’t have.

Good news is I was able to file for unemployment and damned if that paycheck isn’t 2x as much as my regular pay. Going back to work this Monday. Never got tested for coronavirus by the way.

Reactions: JAMCRACKER99
That's not the case today.

For all, I work in a hospital, in the leadership daily meetings, very engaged with our lab. We are pushing hard to get back to normal. SC State of the Emergency will be lifted in two weeks. We will go to modified operations. We are doing elective procedures, are reopening our ambulatory clinics, etc... We are working hard to get back to normal operations.

COVID was not what it was projected to be. Many, many more asymptomatic patients...flu like death rates. Time to get back to semi normal life with sensible measures.

per-day-chart-deaths.png

Ignoring the spike caused by NYC adjusting their numbers, I don't see a down turn. In fact, looks like things are getting worse again.

I’m sure you would agree that the number of cases is expected to rise as more and more people are tested. Like wise, I’m sure you would agree that as more people are tested the mortality rate continues to fall. We need to exercise good judgement and proper care but this isn’t the plague. There is absolutely no reason for healthy, immunosufficient people to be afraid of this virus. If you are obese, diabetic, hypertensive, and immunocompromised you should take extra precaution. It’s time for 99% of this country to move forward and stop being afraid of this overhyped and over sold Coronavirus.

In SC that capacity hasn’t been remotely challenged. In densely populated NE urban centers it was a bit of a closer thing but so far the challenge was met and even NYC didn’t have to use the Comfort for this purpose. So far so good re vents. We have far more non Covid pts on vents than Covid in our system. We aren’t letting our guard down.

OK, seems to me like A) I didn’t say anything about S.C. and B) OP probably should have cited those numbers instead of a meaningless hospital bed count?

Reactions: Buzzards Roost
There is no bottleneck presently. Even the hot spot cities are OK for ICU beds and ventilators. US is now sending unneeded ventilators to Mexico and other countries.
IHME model currently indicates an ICU/vent shortage still present in NY State and NJ so this doesn’t sound accurate.

Do you have a citation to the contrary or did you just make it up?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT