ADVERTISEMENT

"Thoughts and Prayers"

The shooter had no criminal history and no prior mental health problems. What law that you can think of would have stopped him from getting a gun somewhere that was not texas?
How about a law that requires you to be 21 before you can purchase and a longer wait period? Not a law per se, but I personally would like to see guns priced so that they would be out of range of a teenager's budget.

What exactly do you find funny here?
It's funny because as the governor of a deep red state, he usually gets to hide from the criticism of his shitty laws. He deserved to be confronted and embarrassed for his obnoxious pandering to gun culture.

It's funny because as the governor of a deep red state, he usually gets to hide from the criticism of his shitty laws. He deserved to be confronted and embarrassed for his obnoxious pandering to gun culture.
8t3O.gif

...who was the embarrassing one here?

Why don't you step aside since you have no idea what you are talking about, dude. He was replying to and quoted my post about Obama, so I assume he was talking about obama. That would be the logical assumption right?
I also never said anything was obama's fault as it relates to school shootings. The fact is I don't think there is much to be done about it by dems, pubs, independents, or anyone else from a gun legislation perspective.
He was talking about Chris Murphy who is a senator from Connecticut.

How about a law that requires you to be 21 before you can purchase and a longer wait period? Not a law per se, but I personally would like to see guns priced so that they would be out of range of a teenager's budget.
I have no problem with a waiting period of say, a week, when buying a gun. I don't think that would make much difference, though. He waited two days after he bought the gun(s) before he did anything. My teenage daughter worked after school in high school and had $3k in her account. Where do you want to price a gun?
Also, raising the age is not going to stop deaths. If someone intent on killing people wants a gun they can get one illegally as quickly as legally in most places. Four teens were shot last week in a neighboring town from me. None of them were old enough to purchase a gun.

Reactions: Willence
You believe anyone except Beto should be called “obnoxious” here?

Chicago has the opposite gun pandering. How’s that working for them?

There’s a time & place for both sides of a discussion. This wasn’t the time, and Beto looks very bad here.

I have no problem with a waiting period of say, a week, when buying a gun. I don't think that would make much difference, though. He waited two days after he bought the gun(s) before he did anything. My teenage daughter worked after school in high school and had $3k in her account. Where do you want to price a gun?
Also, raising the age is not going to stop deaths. If someone intent on killing people wants a gun they can get one illegally as quickly as legally in most places. Four teens were shot last week in a neighboring town from me. None of them were old enough to purchase a gun.
You continue to espouse the idea that if nothing can be done to substantially reduce gun violence then what's the point. Shouldn't we at least try everything we can to at least reduce the violence? Even if it saves one life, wouldn't that be worth it? Would it be worth it if it saved your child?

Murder is illegal and though that hasn't stopped it, it makes it less likely to happen.

Reactions: iceheart08
You believe anyone except Beto should be called “obnoxious” here?

Chicago has the opposite gun pandering. How’s that working for them?

There’s a time & place for both sides of a discussion. This wasn’t the time, and Beto looks very bad here.
Maybe it was obnoxious but Abbott deserved it. He needs to be publicly challenged. He passes laws criminalizing abortion with $10,000 fines and unabashedly encourages irresponsible gun owners but no one should challenge him? I know that crap plays well on the far right but if you really are pro-life, you better prove you care about the already born or be called out for your hypocrisy.

Reactions: nytigerfan
Maybe it was obnoxious but Abbott deserved it. He needs to be publicly challenged. He passes laws criminalizing abortion with $10,000 fines and unabashedly encourages irresponsible gun owners but no one should challenge him? I know that crap plays well on the far right but if you really are pro-life, you better prove you care about the already born or be called out for your hypocrisy.
Get your head out of the sand.

An appropriate time and place, and this press conference had nothing to do with abortion rights. As Abbott said, “think about someone else other than yourself, right now”.

Reactions: moradatiger70
Get your head out of the sand.

An appropriate time and place, and this press conference had nothing to do with abortion rights. As Abbott said, “think about someone else other than yourself, right now”.
But that's the point, he doesn't care about anybody except the far right and the gun lobby. He's an extremist and a danger due to his reckless policies that are intended to own the libs. When the chickens come home to roost, he deserves to face the music. If you're going to conduct yourself like a total ass, you deserve to be treated like one.

• Haha
Reactions: JoeBidenSniffsKids
But that's the point, he doesn't care about anybody except the far right and the gun lobby. He's an extremist and a danger due to his reckless policies that are intended to own the libs. When the chickens come home to roost, he deserves to face the music. If you're going to conduct yourself like a total ass, you deserve to be treated like one.
Again.. this press conference was not about Abbott, Beto, or anyone else, except the people/families/community suffering there at this time.

Put the politics aside for now. Damn, man.

And Again, what laws has he passed that has made TX more dangerous?

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
No chickens “came home to roost” here, either. A demented excuse for a human being destroyed a bunch of lives and families. Very sad situation… very.

You continue to espouse the idea that if nothing can be done to substantially reduce gun violence then what's the point. Shouldn't we at least try everything we can to at least reduce the violence? Even if it saves one life, wouldn't that be worth it? Would it be worth it if it saved your child?

Murder is illegal and though that hasn't stopped it, it makes it less likely to happen.
My simple answer is no, it might not be worth it depending on what the idea is. I have seen several people proposing having fully armed and trained cops at every school to try and prevent this from happening. That would be a massive misuse of resources that could be put to use in much better ways, imo. How many people have died in school shootings in the last 20 yrs? Compare that to the cost of having full time officers at every school. Also, you have to think about how these things are put into practice. Most schools have multiple entrances/exits that are used throughout the day. Are you going to put officers at every door? How much more effective would those resources be if used for mental health needs in schools or for funding for childhood disease/leukemia research? We have finite resources, what is the best way to use them?

It's funny how your side picks and chooses which live matter. Multiple times the deaths of mass shootings result from people here illegally killing others, yet that never results in the same outrage. Drugs(and Guns) coming across the border result in thousands and thousands more deaths yet all your side does is oppose efforts to control the border and make it easier to stop the flow of drugs and gins killing people. If the wall being built at the border would stop even one death is it worth it? I am just using the wall as an example, I don't think it would stop all the crossings. I bet it would stop at least one death though.

My simple answer is no, it might not be worth it depending on what the idea is. I have seen several people proposing having fully armed and trained cops at every school to try and prevent this from happening. That would be a massive misuse of resources that could be put to use in much better ways, imo. How many people have died in school shootings in the last 20 yrs? Compare that to the cost of having full time officers at every school. Also, you have to think about how these things are put into practice. Most schools have multiple entrances/exits that are used throughout the day. Are you going to put officers at every door? How much more effective would those resources be if used for mental health needs in schools or for funding for childhood disease/leukemia research? We have finite resources, what is the best way to use them?

It's funny how your side picks and chooses which live matter. Multiple times the deaths of mass shootings result from people here illegally killing others, yet that never results in the same outrage. Drugs(and Guns) coming across the border result in thousands and thousands more deaths yet all your side does is oppose efforts to control the border and make it easier to stop the flow of drugs and gins killing people. If the wall being built at the border would stop even one death is it worth it? I am just using the wall as an example, I don't think it would stop all the crossings. I bet it would stop at least one death though.
I still think the funding at schools and its protective services is nowhere where it needs to be!
But I also think other measures as you suggest need implementation!

What I'm saying is that my wife, who has had numerous gun classes,and is a very capable shot with a handgun does not want to carry a gun. I know very few teachers who do want to carry a gun.

Why is more guns the answer? How about increasing security? Investing is systems that recognize guns and are created to keep them out? How about placing a school resource officer in every school? How about increasing programs for mental health and coping skills? Training for emotional regulation?

We have a violence problem in America. We are by far the most violent country on Earth. School shootings don't happen other places? Why is that? If I see more person say ," What we need is more Jesus" I'm gonna scream. How about some actual, actionable solutions?
I never suggested making teachers carry. That would be dumb.
I know some that would like to.

You jump on the security wagon here, but last post that I responded to you had a different take.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post here quoted, btw.

YOUR Words:
" considering how poorly most of our LEOs perform as marksman in stressful armed situations,I would be concerned of potential injuries to children. "

So now, security is the answer? Yes.
It always has been the answer.

I never suggested making teachers carry. That would be dumb.
I know some that would like to.

You jump on the security wagon here, but last post that I responded to you had a different take.
I agree wholeheartedly with your post here quoted, btw.

YOUR Words:
" considering how poorly most of our LEOs perform as marksman in stressful armed situations,I would be concerned of potential injuries to children. "

So now, security is the answer? Yes.
It always has been the answer.

Let me clarify, although I thought that I had been:

1.Security is most important immediately
2. Teachers shouldn't carry
3. We need to focus on Mental Health and self regulation of emotions
4. Smart gun control is needed. Delays to getting weapons, increase age limits, control person to person sales without background checks

Let me clarify, although I thought that I had been:

1.Security is most important immediately
2. Teachers shouldn't carry
3. We need to focus on Mental Health and self regulation of emotions
4. Smart gun control is needed. Delays to getting weapons, increase age limits, control person to person sales without background checks
1. check
2. check
3. why not? But the nuclear family is the only solution. How many counselors do you know?
4. we're already doing a lot of that. Have you bought a gun in the last decade, the last year or the last month? Lots of hoops already for the honest folks.

the criminals somehow bypass all that

HAHA?
Let's congratulate and celebrate interrupting a press conference of such a tragic occurrence.
Whether you agree with Abbot's policies or not, this was a selfish display and to common place in this crumbling society.

But Beto has a point...

Reactions: dpic73
And Again, what laws has he passed that has made TX more dangerous?
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other state lawmakers have weakened Texas’ gun control laws in recent years, even after deadly shootings at a Walmart in El Paso, a high school in Santa Fe and a church in Sutherland Springs.

Abbott signed a law last year that allows Texans to carry handguns without a license, so-called permitless carry. Before the law went into effect in September, Texans needed to be licensed, fingerprinted and trained.

Earlier, in 2015, Texas passed a law permitting those with concealed handgun licenses to carry a concealed weapon on a college campus. One lawmaker has wanted to extend that measure to public schools.

Reactions: nytigerfan

Oh holy hell, forget it man. I don't know why I ever engage with you. You always find a way to use your twizzler logic to air all your "democrats are the cause of all bad things" nonsense. No solutions, all blame.

It took a hot minute, but the dem Calvary has arrived. Took them awhile.

Frrr.gif

Sadly, this has turned into a political discussion!

He is not from Connecticut, so I have no idea what you are talking about. Also, if he is so concerned about deaths, maybe he should try and help the people in his own back yard in CHICAGO, where he did live. I don't see him tweeting how the dem leaders in IL are to blame for the hundreds of deaths there EVERY year. Included in those deaths are multiple times the number of deaths of those under 18.
Additionally, he was potus for eight years and had control of both the house and senate for part of that time and did absolutely nothing about it, yet wants to lay the blame at the feet of another party.

So, no this is not some heartfelt plea or he would have those same emotions when it happens where he actually did live. Since you mention Sandy Hook, did he call out the dem governor then? No he absolutely did not, because he was a member of his own political party. History and the facts simply do not support your assertions. It was, and was meant to be a political statement. 🤔
Quick google search showed that other than when he studied at Oxford, Chris has lived in Connecticut since he attended law school there. But I would have figured “senator from Connecticut” would have been descriptive enough….

I feel like I may have struck a nerve….or maybe strummed a few of them. My apologies.

Then why was he quoting my post about obama's comments?

Honestly, I ignored your reference to Obama because he had nothing to do with the post you replied to. Felt like a trap to be honest.

Last edited:
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other state lawmakers have weakened Texas’ gun control laws in recent years, even after deadly shootings at a Walmart in El Paso, a high school in Santa Fe and a church in Sutherland Springs.

Abbott signed a law last year that allows Texans to carry handguns without a license, so-called permitless carry. Before the law went into effect in September, Texans needed to be licensed, fingerprinted and trained.

Earlier, in 2015, Texas passed a law permitting those with concealed handgun licenses to carry a concealed weapon on a college campus. One lawmaker has wanted to extend that measure to public schools.

Interesting that this was supposed to be a solution...more good guys with guns to kill bad guys with guns. Sounds like having more armed people and resource officers at schools hasn’t worked yet

Interesting that this was supposed to be a solution...more good guys with guns to kill bad guys with guns. Sounds like having more armed people and resource officers at schools hasn’t worked yet
And who in their right mind thinks permitless carry with no training required is a good idea? Not responsible politicians, that I can tell you.

Its so weird to me when people say keep politics out of it etc. This is a political issue. This is an issue where lawmakers should be involved and should be coming up with reform in an attempt to reduce these types of mass shootings. And a lot of the politicians who say it isn’t a political issue have made guns a political/policy issue for decades. Whether its taking money from the NRA or working to pass laws like the permitless carry law passed in Texas, guns and gun violence have been and will continue to be a political issue. They said don’t make sandy hook into a political issue too and here we are years later still dealing with the same problem.

But you know, hey, at least all these kids who got shot weren’t being taught that racism exists, right? At least they weren’t being taught that gay people exist, right? Maybe lets put some effort into issues that actually matter.

Quick google search showed that other than when he studied at Oxford, Chris has lived in Connecticut since he attended law school there. But I would have figured “senator from Connecticut” would have been descriptive enough….

I feel like I may have struck a nerve….or maybe strummed a few of them. My apologies.

Honestly, I ignored your reference to Obama because he had nothing to do with the post you replied to. Felt like a trap to be honest.
You can call it a trap if you want to. The post you replied to was one claiming dems were making this a political issue immediately after the shooting. You replied that was not true bc, despite clarks history of political outbursts, this one had no specific mention of politics.
I then posted obama's comments that were clearly political and asked your opinion of them. You replied to that post which was, again, about obama's words. Also, "senator from Connecticut" is nowhere in your post if you will go back and read it.

You did strike a nerve. The one that is sick and tired of people talking about gun laws due to events that account for a miniscule portion of gun deaths while mostly ignoring the rest. The same people who propose laws that would almost never have changed the circumstances of what they are outraged about. It further is infuriating that these are the same people who make policies that make it easier for drugs and guns to cross the border and kill multiple times more people and oppose/obstruct any efforts to help the problem.

Let me ask you this, in all the outrage from dems what law has any of them proposed that would have stopped any significant number of deaths? I am not opposed to changes that make sense. I would have no objection to some things like a possible waiting period of a week or so before purchase, or having to have a criminal background check before you can purchase a gun. However, neither of those things are going to stop what just happened. The guy had no apparent criminal history or red flags that would have stopped him from purchasing a gun. Wanting to stop things like this is good. Yelling about it and proposing things that won't stop incidents like this from happening and blaming others bc they won't agree to it is disingenuous and asinine.

Reactions: JoeBidenSniffsKids
You can call it a trap if you want to. The post you replied to was one claiming dems were making this a political issue immediately after the shooting. You replied that was not true bc, despite clarks history of political outbursts, this one had no specific mention of politics.
I then posted obama's comments that were clearly political and asked your opinion of them. You replied to that post which was, again, about obama's words. Also, "senator from Connecticut" is nowhere in your post if you will go back and read it.

You did strike a nerve. The one that is sick and tired of people talking about gun laws due to events that account for a miniscule portion of gun deaths while mostly ignoring the rest. The same people who propose laws that would almost never have changed the circumstances of what they are outraged about. It further is infuriating that these are the same people who make policies that make it easier for drugs and guns to cross the border and kill multiple times more people and oppose/obstruct any efforts to help the problem.

Let me ask you this, in all the outrage from dems what law has any of them proposed that would have stopped any significant number of deaths? I am not opposed to changes that make sense. I would have no objection to some things like a possible waiting period of a week or so before purchase, or having to have a criminal background check before you can purchase a gun. However, neither of those things are going to stop what just happened. The guy had no apparent criminal history or red flags that would have stopped him from purchasing a gun. Wanting to stop things like this is good. Yelling about it and proposing things that won't stop incidents like this from happening and blaming others bc they won't agree to it is disingenuous and asinine.
Yeah that’s not what I said….but I see you are obviously here for a fight I’m not going to give you. I’m sure someone else will be happy to throw pointless jabs with you though.

Again….sorry I struck a nerve. But I think you have my intentions and feelings on the matter confused with someone else’s.

Good luck brother.

Its so weird to me when people say keep politics out of it etc. This is a political issue. This is an issue where lawmakers should be involved and should be coming up with reform in an attempt to reduce these types of mass shootings. And a lot of the politicians who say it isn’t a political issue have made guns a political/policy issue for decades. Whether its taking money from the NRA or working to pass laws like the permitless carry law passed in Texas, guns and gun violence have been and will continue to be a political issue. They said don’t make sandy hook into a political issue too and here we are years later still dealing with the same problem.

But you know, hey, at least all these kids who got shot weren’t being taught that racism exists, right? At least they weren’t being taught that gay people exist, right? Maybe lets put some effort into issues that actually matter.
I agree 100%. How about trying to stop all the guns and drugs coming across the border that are killing tens of thousands of people every year. Think that might be an issue that actually matters?

I agree 100%. How about trying to stop all the guns and drugs coming across the border that are killing tens of thousands of people every year. Think that might be an issue that actually matters?
I’m pretty sure more guns go into Mexico from the US than the other way around. And yes, I’d agree that’s an important issue that should be addressed

Reactions: firegiver
Yeah that’s not what I said….but I see you are obviously here for a fight I’m not going to give you. I’m sure someone else will be happy to throw pointless jabs with you though.

Again….sorry I struck a nerve. But I think you have my intentions and feelings on the matter confused with someone else’s.

Good luck brother.
The guy was pleading that they do something. Anything more than nothing. He didn’t cry for gun control or mental health or drill baby drill…nothing he said was partisan other than when he reached out to GOP peers to please help them do something. Just thought it was interesting how you immediately began to attack him for it. That’s all.

Does this meet that standard? Always some political asswipe like him running to microphone to try and score political points from a tragedy. Have not heard him or anyone else offer one single idea that would have stopped any significant number of gun homicides.

The bold is your post. That is exactly what you said. Below that is my reply to you post. I think you are confused about what you said or did not say.

I’m pretty sure more guns go into Mexico from the US than the other way around. And yes, I’d agree that’s an important issue that should be addressed
You are correct, bc they do not allow guns in mexico. However, some also come back as they are now no longer able to be traced. Guns, however, are the least of the problems with the border, the massive amount of drugs coming across the border is what is primarily responsible for killing thousands of people here every year. I noticed you chose not to address that.

Last edited:
You are correct, bc they do not allow guns in mexico. However, some also come back as they are now no longer able to be traced. Guns, however, are the least of the problems with the border, the massive amount of drugs coming across the border is what is primarily responsible for killing thousands of people here every year. I noticed you chose not to address that.
Because this is a thread about gun violence and mass shootings in America? Not about drugs and the mexican border

• Haha
The bold is your post. That is exactly what you said. Below that is my reply to you post. I think you are confused about what you said or did not say.

No I’m very well aware of what I did and did not say. But thanks for putting it all together (I feel like that took a lot more energy than it should have). I have no issue standing by it. Moore was not political in his speech when he did have ample opportunity to be so (See Beto).

But you do you….Carry on my friend.

No I’m very well aware of what I did and did not say. But thanks for putting it all together (I feel like that took a lot more energy than it should have). I have no issue standing by it. Moore was not political in his speech when he did have ample opportunity to be so (See Beto).

But you do you….Carry on my friend.
I did not claim he (moore) was. My post did not mention him at all. I posted what obama said and pointed out that obama was being political. That is the post you replied to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT