ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at Kansas City Chiefs SB parade…

Something will be done when the wrong person is killed or we, as a nation, have our Port Arthur moment. Not sure how a start to doing something can be considered empty minded. But, ok.

We are a sick country. Unless we work to address the sickness nothing will change. Trusting the biggest idiots we have to legislate this is insanity. And it's always the same. "Do something" they say. Never saying what they would do other than empty platitudes. We're an insane country top to bottom. Bankrupt in every way that matters. The answers aren't hard. It's getting people to realize that all of us are the problem that's hard.

We are a sick country. Unless we work to address the sickness nothing will change. Trusting the biggest idiots we have to legislate this is insanity. And it's always the same. "Do something" they say. Never saying what they would do other than empty platitudes. We're an insane country top to bottom. Bankrupt in every way that matters. The answers aren't hard. It's getting people to realize that all of us are the problem that's hard.
Except not all of us are the problem…

It very well may be. I don’t know. It rarely if ever happens elsewhere. I read it’s the 47th mass shooting in the US this year and we’ve only had 45 days so far.

It’s either a “people problem” or a “gun problem”

If it’s a people problem then what do we do? We already have laws. We already incarcerate more people than anywhere else in the world. You can’t force people to see a therapist if we want to say it’s a mental health problem, which some instances do seem to be. Some say not enough people believe in God and religion but plenty of other places with less belief don’t have this problem.

Now as for the gun problem the US has a unique problem that most other countries don’t which is size and significant power in states rights. It becomes more difficult to just ban guns than other places (though Australia has done it successfully). A lot of countries have successfully done it, but I can see it being very difficult here.

There should be more stringent policies. Gun people don’t like it and it infringes on their rights and I understand that but I also don’t care. I’d rather a child get home from school tomorrow than care about that persons feelings. But there should be tougher policies, to own one, to keep them, the types citizens can own, how many can be owned, etc. I say this knowing that in several mass shootings that guns have been owned lawfully, that’s the more stringent policy on keeping them, and I’d say if you have them in your home then it’s not just the gun owner that is scrutinized. There is a middle ground somewhere that I do believe can be successful, but a big part of this country’s problem over the last decade and a half is that there is no middle anymore, or at least it’s shrunk. So nobody will give a little to get some. It’s nonexistent. The middle is a wasteland.

A good guy in a lot of these situations has rarely won over a bad guy with one(Today and Uvalde) A good guy with a gun hasn’t ever stopped one from happening though I will admit they have finished some (most recent the outlet mall shooting and the elementary church school in Nashville). But they still happened. Lives were still lost. We should not be ok with people going out in public or to school or work and dying. Percentages don’t matter here, this shouldn’t happen.
Appreciate the response. The war on drugs was and is an utter failure and I feel the same would happen with guns. Banning them just creates a black market for those that want them. I agree with much of what you wrote, but feel it’s more of a people/culture/mental health issue. Either way, it’s a complex issue with no easy answers.

Reactions: BionicTiger
If it’s a people problem then what do we do? We already have laws.

It is a people problem in terms of the culture (or rather the total lack thereof) we have created. We're ammoral at best. We are totally divided. We have a raging culture war. Just look at who we're about to nominate for president in each party. Nothing could more clearly display the complete cultural rot that we have experienced than that moving disaster. Nothing will change untit we decide it's time to change.

• Haha
Reactions: XRP589
Except not all of us are the problem…

We're all part of the problem man. We may not pull the triggers and we may not be sick enough to ever want to hurt somebody but we're all bystanders to what goes on. You want to change this country? Promote a responsibility culture where everybody understands that we're all here together and we're all responsible for what happens in this country. We have to promote a positive and unifying culture rather than the disgusting mess we have now. It's in our music. It's in our entertainment. It's in our worship of celebrities. It's in our sports. It's everywhere we look.

Reactions: 24TIGER
Appreciate the response. The war on drugs was and is an utter failure and I feel the same would happen with guns. Banning them just creates a black market for those that want them. I agree with much of what you wrote, but feel it’s more of a people/culture/mental health issue. Either way, it’s a complex issue with no easy answers.
I can see it going the way of the war on drugs if we attack it from just one side like the war on drugs was. There can be balance on gun legislation and getting the right help for individuals. I don’t believe we ever get to a point where these mass shootings never happen. I do believe their can be policies and legislation and help put in place to see this trend take a down turn. We won’t get to zero but getting to less frequent should be the goal.

It is a people problem in terms of the culture (or rather the total lack thereof) we have created. We're ammoral at best. We are totally divided. We have a raging culture war. Just look at who we're about to nominate for president in each party. Nothing could more clearly display the complete cultural rot that we have experienced than that moving disaster. Nothing will change untit we decide it's time to change.
Our continued stupidity within this country of who we elect on both sides is a major reason why this country is in the place it is today. Nick Saban felt he was too old to continue coaching college football, but we are about to have a battle between two nominees that are 5 and 7 years older than him. How ****ing dumb is that? Ronald Regan was the oldest a president ever ended their term at 77 years old. We’re about to elect someone older than that. Yuck.

We're all part of the problem man. We may not pull the triggers and we may not be sick enough to ever want to hurt somebody but we're all bystanders to what goes on. You want to change this country? Promote a responsibility culture where everybody understands that we're all here together and we're all responsible for what happens in this country. We have to promote a positive and unifying culture rather than the disgusting mess we have now. It's in our music. It's in our entertainment. It's in our worship of celebrities. It's in our sports. It's everywhere we look.
Nah. We’re not. And it’s not my responsibility to make anyone else understand anything. That’s on them. I did my small bit for a few years. My responsibilities are my own now. Don’t hang someone else’s fvcked up culture around my neck. And don’t ask me to help people unwilling to help themselves.

It took Australia 12 days.

The war on drugs is a big failure because it was approached the wrong way. Until you can curtail the usage problem you're never going to curtail the smuggling problem, the cartels are way too advanced in technology and weaponry (thanks Holder) to stop. They blatantly flaunt their power here in Mexico any chance they get and snub their noses at any type of authority. Pics of cartel members giving border patrol the finger as they walk away after delivering illegals is a prime example of the igaf attitude.
Herein lies the problem though, the cartels have become so powerful that the drug trade is now small to them because of the human trafficking aspect we see here in Mexico. A lot of the the stuff that happens here which will affect the US will never reach the US media and if it does it will never be broadcast.
Did you guys hear about the 250 illegal Africans arrested last week in Sonora? No, unless you listen or read Mexican publications.

The wife and I were talking about how Calderon failed the war on drugs by trying to stop the trafficking to the US by "helping" Bush but what he only did was escalate the drug usage here in Mexico when the cartels figured out that spending money to smuggle across the border outweighed introducing Mexicans to cocaine, etc. So we subsequently had a rise in usage and violence between competing cartels trying own the market here.

Now the borders are flowing again and fentanyl and other "fun" drugs are flowing freely so the US better get a handle on the usage issue first and then try to combat the losing war on stopping the smugglers,

It very well may be. I don’t know. It rarely if ever happens elsewhere. I read it’s the 47th mass shooting in the US this year and we’ve only had 45 days so far.

It’s either a “people problem” or a “gun problem”

If it’s a people problem then what do we do? We already have laws. We already incarcerate more people than anywhere else in the world. You can’t force people to see a therapist if we want to say it’s a mental health problem, which some instances do seem to be. Some say not enough people believe in God and religion but plenty of other places with less belief don’t have this problem.

Now as for the gun problem the US has a unique problem that most other countries don’t which is size and significant power in states rights. It becomes more difficult to just ban guns than other places (though Australia has done it successfully). A lot of countries have successfully done it, but I can see it being very difficult here.

There should be more stringent policies. Gun people don’t like it and it infringes on their rights and I understand that but I also don’t care. I’d rather a child get home from school tomorrow than care about that persons feelings. But there should be tougher policies, to own one, to keep them, the types citizens can own, how many can be owned, etc. I say this knowing that in several mass shootings that guns have been owned lawfully, that’s the more stringent policy on keeping them, and I’d say if you have them in your home then it’s not just the gun owner that is scrutinized. There is a middle ground somewhere that I do believe can be successful, but a big part of this country’s problem over the last decade and a half is that there is no middle anymore, or at least it’s shrunk. So nobody will give a little to get some. It’s nonexistent. The middle is a wasteland.

A good guy in a lot of these situations has rarely won over a bad guy with one(Today and Uvalde) A good guy with a gun hasn’t ever stopped one from happening though I will admit they have finished some (most recent the outlet mall shooting and the elementary church school in Nashville). But they still happened. Lives were still lost. We should not be ok with people going out in public or to school or work and dying. Percentages don’t matter here, this shouldn’t happen.
Please show me one country where this doesn't happen.

Reactions: Cabotiger
I am not an expert, but would be all-in on banning any kind of assault rifle, especially if it can be made automatic. Pistols, hunting rifles still could be a problem for a few, but for more majority, I personally do not see the issue. I really do not understand why we need assault rifles, but willing to listen.

Propose a solution or just shut up
1) Regulate gun ownership/usage the way we regulate cars

- Require a license in order to own/carry a gun the same As we require a driver‘s license. Require gun safety course/test in order to obtain license. Require regular, periodic renewals of license.

- Require all firearms to be registered the same way cars are required to be registered. Owners must register all firearms, pay applicable taxes/fees.

- Require all firearms to be insured the way cars/drivers are insured In the event of accidental shootings. Insurance companies ought to love that.

2) Increase mandatory penalties for violating gun laws.

- Immediate loss of firearm license if you are caught in possession of an unregistered firearm or if a firearm registered to you is found in the possession of someone else. These should come with a period of time where one cannot regain license and should also come with some minimum punishment of jail time And/or fine.

- possessing a firearm without a license is felony with high minimum punishments with jail time required and ban from being able to obtain a license for X amount of years - This will allow for even first time offenders to receive severe punishment for merely possessing a gun, this will help reduce inner city street/gang violence by allowing police to arrest and states to prosecute at felony level for possession only, they do not have to wait for an additional crime to be committed with the gun to impose prison time.

- selling a firearm to someone without a license or failing to register the gun at the point of sale carries same penalties as possessing one without license.

3) Guns cannot be carried across state lines.

- You’ve got two options here. One is that a gun licenses/registrations are valid only in the state they are issued in, making their legality void once crossing into another state or (and I prefer this option) the registration/license process is federally run. This stops the current issue of someone in a state with strict gun laws simply driving an hour away to another state with lax gun laws and getting guns they can’t get at home.

4) These laws apply to ALL guns. Hand guns, rifles, etc. All are subject to licensing and registration.

5) Strict limits on the number of rounds guns can fire At a time.

- regulate gun manufacturing with the goal that we make it as difficult as possible for any person to kill a large number of people in a short amount of time.

There is no answer that will end mass shootings immediately. There is no answer that will end gun deaths or even mass shootings permanently. But over time we can drastically, drastically reduce the amount of gun deaths and mass shootings, which have reached a rate so astounding that it makes it very difficult to continue calling America the greatest country in the world.

1) Regulate gun ownership/usage the way we regulate cars

- Require a license in order to own/carry a gun the same As we require a driver‘s license. Require gun safety course/test in order to obtain license. Require regular, periodic renewals of license.

- Require all firearms to be registered the same way cars are required to be registered. Owners must register all firearms, pay applicable taxes/fees.

- Require all firearms to be insured the way cars/drivers are insured In the event of accidental shootings. Insurance companies ought to love that.

2) Increase mandatory penalties for violating gun laws.

- Immediate loss of firearm license if you are caught in possession of a unregistered firearm or if a firearm registered to you is found in the possession of someone else. These should come with a period of time where one cannot regain license and should also come with some minimum punishment of jail time And/or fine.

- possessing a firearm without a license is felony with high minimum punishments with jail time required and ban from being able to obtain a license for X amount of years - This will allow for even first time offenders to receive severe punishment for merely possessing a gun, this will help reduce inner city street/gang violence by allowing police to arrest and states to prosecute at felony level for possession only, they do not have to wait for an additional crime to be committed with the gun to impose prison time.

- selling a firearm to someone without a license or failing to register the gun at the point of sale carries same penalties as possessing one without license.

3) Guns cannot be carried across state lines.

- You’re got two options here. One is that a gun licenses/registrations are valid only in the state they are issued in, making their legality void once crossing into another state or (and I prefer this option) the registration/license process is federally run. This stops the current issue of someone in a state with strict gun laws simply driving an hour away to another state with lax gun laws and getting guns they can’t get at home.

4) These laws apply to ALL guns. Hand guns, rifles, etc. All are subject to licensing and registration.

5) Strict limits on the number of rounds guns can fire At a time.

- regulate gun manufacturing with the goal that we make it as difficult as possible for any person to kill a large number of people in a short amount of time.

There is no answer that will end mass shootings immediately. There is no answer that will end gun deaths or even mass shootings permanently. But over time we can drastically, drastically reduce the amount of gun deaths and mass shootings, which have reached a rate so astounding that it makes it very difficult to continue calling America the greatest country in the world.
@dbjork6317 just got all my likes - not saying outlaw - just put some common sense rules in place where legitimate folks will bitch, but still do what is required, and illegitimate folks will rail the man for taking their guns away. We are a stupid society, if we think any, and all guns should be available to any, and all persons.

I have a pistol, but have been trained. Not sure why I would need an Assault rifle?

@dbjork6317 just got all my likes - not saying outlaw - just put some common sense rules in place where legitimate folks will bitch, but still do what is required, and illegitimate folks will rail the man for taking their guns away. We are a stupid society, if we think any, and all guns should be available to any, and all persons.

I have a pistol, but have been trained. Not sure why I would need an Assault rifle?
Although, I will carry my gun across State lines. I believe it should be a federal law, not state by state.

Reactions: fatpiggy
In mass shootings? Damn near ****ing all of them. Only 8 countries have double digit deaths from mass shootings this year. We have over 200 now.
How many actually report them? I know Mexico has a reluctance to report any murders if they're cartel related, just the product of the President they have now, much like dementia Joe, useless but definitely doesn't want to inflate murder numbers that reflect his failed policies.

Reactions: nmerritt11
In mass shootings? Damn near ****ing all of them. Only 8 countries have double digit deaths from mass shootings this year. We have over 200 now.
No, not in just mass shootings. That is not what you said. So you only care about people dying in mass shootings, but no bothered if they die other ways, got it.
The insanity of some much focus on mass shootings is literally unbelievable to me. If we focused 10% of the time and $$$$ on other causes of death we could save multiples of the number of lives lost in mass shootings, but for some reason people don't give a crap about that.
It's like focusing on ant farts to combat climate change.

• Haha
Reactions: dpic73
It's really pretty simple. We're not the only country with citizens who have mental health issues or messed up family upbringing situations, but we're the only industrialized nation that has more guns that citizens. The countries who most closely match our way of life as westerners don't have anything remotely close to the gun violence/mass shootings we have, and that's because their legislators don't put up with the gun nut culture bullshit that we have allowed to overrun our country.

This isn't exactly rocket science. It's the ridiculous proliferation of guns and the overkill capabilities of many of those guns in circulation. And just remember....the same people who bend over for the NRA/gun lobby are the same ones who also vote down mental health initiatives. Kind of like how they're the same ones who voted yesterday to impeach Mayorkas for not doing enough allegedly about border control even though conservative Republicans negotiated the most stringent border security bill ever presented on the Hill before the MAGA cult declared it DOA so they could use the border crisis they constantly scream about as a political football for the next voting cycle.

You have to remember how many American citizens willingly get their "news" from a channel that recently paid $750M for lying to its viewers and argued in another court case that its most popular anchor at the time was merely playing a character on his nightly primetime show. Can't fix stupid as they say.

Screenshot-2024-02-14-at-6-54-43-PM.png

Screenshot-2024-02-14-at-7-12-52-PM.png

I don't want to live in an authoritarian hell hole. If you do, move there.
Their Covid lockdowns were some of the worst. Buddy of mine here is from Tazamania and had to do three 14 day quarantines when he flew home during that time.
Its an island, they can control whatever they want however ridiculous it may be.

Reactions: Willence
Possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever read on this board. Congrats
You should go to the Political board, its a good laugh at some of the rhetoric I've read from the clueless there. Don't post, just read because there are about 2-3 mouthbreathers that I swear live together in one of the moms basements and they all follow each other and give each other a handjob congrats when they think they've won an argument. LOL

Reactions: 24TIGER
I just wonder why we need a wall on the border when we have thoughts and prayers to fix this epidemic of gun violence. Have they tried thoughts and prayers at the border?
Because a Sicario will look at you and laugh before shooting you? Just a thought, especially when he's handing over an illegal that will owe him a fee for the rest of his life for getting him "safely" across the river.

Because a Sicario will look at you and laugh before shooting you? Just a thought, especially when he's handing over an illegal that will owe him a fee for the rest of his life for getting him "safely" across the river.
It's my understanding that only thoughts and prayers are needed to stop our children from being blown apart like D-Day while attending school, so why wouldn't we just think and pray away the Sicario's gun before he shoots?

It's my understanding that only thoughts and prayers are needed to stop our children from being blown apart like D-Day while attending school, so why wouldn't we just think and pray away the Sicario's gun before he shoots?
Never heard that theory, all I can tell you is any Sicario from Mexico, Colombia, etc doesn't care one iota if you're an atheist, a priest, the pope or a mother.
Get in their way and you're out of the way.

Gun control hasn't worked here and it's one of the strictest in the world. Criminals will always have what it takes to commit crimes so taking away guns from private owners doesn't help.

I just wonder why we need a wall on the border when we have thoughts and prayers to fix this epidemic of gun violence. Have they tried thoughts and prayers at the border?
I just wonder why people with low IQ's like you seem so focused on a relatively small percentage of deaths(child or otherwise) while you are evidently completely on board with, seemingly even supportive of, all the deaths resulting from our lack of border control. Even when those deaths dwarf the number of deaths from mass shootings.
Please show me where anyone other than you has EVER said this.

How about we work on controlling the border AND install some common sense gun laws like the rest of the civilized world? Surely the greatest country on the planet can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

I'm not sure we actually have a border crisis, though. Republicans used to scream about it all the time, but then when the gentleman Republican from Oklahoma actually authored a bill with very stringent border security stipulations, the other Republicans refused to approve it because Daddy Trump said he didn't want Biden to get credit for it...which leads me to wonder if there really is a crisis since Republicans think it can wait several more months at the very least when they try to get Trump back in office. Meanwhile Republicans also voted down a recent mental health bill, so it kind of makes you wonder if they're just full of shit in general...

1640757674592665615-Fs-Uk-Y1e-Xg-A06-Lk-V.jpg

Republicans...

no mental health bills
no border security bills
no gun reform

Yeah, I think they're just full of shit.

How about we work on controlling the border AND install some common sense gun laws like the rest of the civilized world? Surely the greatest country on the planet can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.

I'm not sure we actually have a border crisis, though. Republicans used to scream about it all the time, but then when the gentleman Republican from Oklahoma actually authored a bill with very stringent border security stipulations, the other Republicans refused to approve it because Daddy Trump said he didn't want Biden to get credit for it...which leads me to wonder if there really is a crisis since Republicans think it can wait several more months at the very least when they try to get Trump back in office. Meanwhile Republicans also voted down a recent mental health bill, so it kind of makes you wonder if they're just full of shit in general...

1640757674592665615-Fs-Uk-Y1e-Xg-A06-Lk-V.jpg

Republicans...

no mental health bills
no border security bills
no gun reform

Yeah, I think they're just full of shit.
Do you know why a lot of Republicans in the house refused to pass the bill? It contained a clause that implemented an Impeachment process should Trump be re-elected and stopped funding to Ukraine like he did during the other Impeachment inquiry.
Why are Democrats so beholden to Ukraine and especially the Bidens?

For what it's worth, I can't wait for Trump to lose the election, lose the primary, go into exile or whatever it takes to get his name out of your liberal brains and get focused on what really matters in the US and that is the US.

Gun laws are laughable to me when I live in one of the strictest areas of the world when it comes to gun control combined with the highest murder rates.

Propose a solution or just shut up
Do you know why a lot of Republicans in the house refused to pass the bill? It contained a clause that implemented an Impeachment process should Trump be re-elected and stopped funding to Ukraine like he did during the other Impeachment inquiry.
Why are Democrats so beholden to Ukraine and especially the Bidens?

For what it's worth, I can't wait for Trump to lose the election, lose the primary, go into exile or whatever it takes to get his name out of your liberal brains and get focused on what really matters in the US and that is the US.

Gun laws are laughable to me when I live in one of the strictest areas of the world when it comes to gun control combined with the highest murder rates.
So your blaming Republicans for mass shootings under Biden s watch? We've had more mass shootings under Biden than any other President in history. The same President trying to ban Guns and take away American rights. It's the Guns blah blah blah!! When does a Gun pull it's own trigger? It doesn't and never has. But let's blame Trump instead of seeing like it is. Biden and Democrats are a failure they have destroyed this Country they have took away what this Country stood for. They have taken God out of this country they have poisoned our youth , teaching our kids garbage in school instead of learning ,they wanna teach them homosexuality, white people are all white supremacists, hate your race .There is no God it's a myth. Let's blame Republicans for our Gun laws . When all the mass shootings is under a demented President that can't complete a full sentence watch! Our Country has become sick almost Demonic and it's because of the Democratic party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT