ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Interesting Study on Voicing Politcal Beliefs

scotchtiger

The Jack Dunlap Club
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2005
Mount Pleasant, SC
This isn't in support of any political party or position, but it's an interesting - and troubling - observation of today's culture.

Chart2.jpeg

Chart5_0.jpeg

I saw this debated last night. The funny part is that the cancel culture really only works in one direction and that is liberals attacking anything they disagree with. I doubt anyone can name a case where a liberal said something on tv or twitter, got attacked and then had to be fired by their company because the company feared the mob coming after them.
I am sure on a micro scale there are liberals who have issues speaking at their job, but the high profile attacks never touch the liberals. If they try, such as Jimmy Kimmel getting called out for blackface, then the liberals announce that it has gone too far and things need to change.

Let's be honest- some opinions should be self-censored.

But the climate right now is so censorious that it's going to encourage delusions among some of these people who feel like they need to constantly tell everybody their political opinions. It's always been sort of odd to me, just in general, how liberal friends look down at their "crazy conservative friends/parents" who are always sharing political stuff on social media or at family gatherings, when, in my observation, they're the ones who seem to think it's just normal to go on rants expressing their views. It's almost like they just don't recognize that they're expressing something about which there might be other opinions. But really, they're the crazy uncle.

Last edited:
I also have noticed liberals playing the “I want to speak out WHILE WE STILL CAN” card a lot lately.

The implication being that Orange Man Bad is going to snap his fingers and suspend the First Amendment.

Amazingly, they continue to say this even though there have been more public protests in America over the last 7 months than any 7 month period since Vietnam and Civil Rights.

I saw this debated last night. The funny part is that the cancel culture really only works in one direction and that is liberals attacking anything they disagree with. I doubt anyone can name a case where a liberal said something on tv or twitter, got attacked and then had to be fired by their company because the company feared the mob coming after them.
I am sure on a micro scale there are liberals who have issues speaking at their job, but the high profile attacks never touch the liberals. If they try, such as Jimmy Kimmel getting called out for blackface, then the liberals announce that it has gone too far and things need to change.
People on the right do try this, but it's mostly as concern trolling in response to the left doing it all the time. The real difference is that the left has all the cultural and corporate power, even if the right has much of the political power. So, for now, cancel culture is mostly a social thing, rather than a legal thing.

There have been instances of people being fired over saying anti-Israel and anti-Semitic stuff, for being too stridently anti-American, or for saying really distasteful stuff about deceased Republicans.

This isn't in support of any political party or position, but it's an interesting - and troubling - observation of today's culture.

Chart2.jpeg

Chart5_0.jpeg
This falls pretty well in line with the post-truth narrative that has become so prevalent on the right. That there are conspiratorial forces working against them, creating an us vs the world ideology.

People on the right do try this, but it's mostly as concern trolling in response to the left doing it all the time. The real difference is that the left has all the cultural and corporate power, even if the right has much of the political power. So, for now, cancel culture is mostly a social thing, rather than a legal thing.

There have been instances of people being fired over saying anti-Israel and anti-Semitic stuff, for being too stridently anti-American, or for saying really distasteful stuff about deceased Republicans.
Fair comments. It is true that the left owns the majority of media and the vast majority of Hollywood so that plays into it.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
I also have noticed liberals playing the “I want to speak out WHILE WE STILL CAN” card a lot lately.

The implication being that Orange Man Bad is going to snap his fingers and suspend the First Amendment.

Amazingly, they continue to say this even though there have been more public protests in America over the last 7 months than any 7 month period since Vietnam and Civil Rights.
I hope they don’t just start snatching people off the streets and put them in ? while they figure out how to keep them silent. Don’t worry, no first amendment rights being violated though.

One thing that is most worrisome to me is that even if you want to mind your own business, not discuss politics, and go on about your life ... that is now considered racist/homophobic/sexist/misogynist ....

remember the scene in The Dark Knight Rises where Scarecrow is holding trials for innocent people and they are all given a verdict of guilty and the punishment is Death or Death by Exile ?????? Ya

For all intents and purposes the 1st amendment is dead. Freedom of speech is now only a perceived notion. When people lose their jobs over saying all lives matter or posting a comment on social media we have issues. It’s not hard to see what has happened. FEAR of potential consequences has silenced many. It’s disgusting and disturbing. It’s just one of many dominoes beginning to fall.

For all intents and purposes the 1st amendment is dead. Freedom of speech is now only a perceived notion. When people lose their jobs over saying all lives matter or posting a comment on social media we have issues. It’s not hard to see what has happened. FEAR of potential consequences has silenced many. It’s disgusting and disturbing. It’s just one of many dominoes beginning to fall.

But people losing their jobs has nothing to do with the 1st amendment...

It's okay to share your opinion as long as the "Vocal" majority agrees...

Reactions: tigergrad03
The 1st amendment protects speech from governmental reprisal, not reprisal from your employer.

@scotchtiger thanks, we needed another political circle jerk thread. Just waiting for @johnhugh to parachute in so the sharks can be fed.

EDIT - @iceheart08 beat him to it. I say we will get a solid 8.5 personal insults before the thread is zappped

this is not at all what the first amendment means.

For all intents and purposes, the average person citing the first amendment just have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.

Reactions: marshmk
Why I don’t believe the polls. Why would a Trump
Supporter tell someone they are voting for him? To get harassed? And I don’t care for any of them before we get into that argument.

I think an important distinction to make would be to say that there is a vocal minority on the right that are just as loud and and annoying as the left. I think anytime there is finger pointing you’re obviously only creating enemies, whichever end of the spectrum you fall on.

However, it has been my experience (in S.C.) that if you are not left leaning you will experience more eye rolls and dismissive attitudes than one who is generally more left. This is in the context of a corporate workplace.
Generally speaking, I avoid political conversations at all cost at work. I just nod my head and move along.

Reactions: ChicagoTiger85
I think an important distinction to make would be to say that there is a vocal minority on the right that are just as loud and and annoying as the left. I think anytime there is finger pointing you’re obviously only creating enemies, whichever end of the spectrum you fall on.

However, it has been my experience (in S.C.) that if you are not left leaning you will experience more eye rolls and dismissive attitudes than one who is generally more left. This is in the context of a corporate workplace.
Generally speaking, I avoid political conversations at all cost at work. I just nod my head and move along.
That’s interesting bc every where I’ve worked (which has been a few places in Upstate SC) if you aren’t leaning to the right you’re almost regarded as a black sheep, outcast, weirdo, etc.

But like you I avoid political talk at work and pretty much everywhere else, except around very close friends, like the plague. I’d consider myself moderate by the way and honestly this political climate has me not really wanting to be associated with either party.

The 1st amendment protects speech from governmental reprisal, not reprisal from your employer.

On its face that is true. However, if your company, organization, university, or employer takes taxpayer funds and participates in the cancel culture, that is too far. If companies lost government contracts and universities lost research grants for dismissing people who hold unpopular opinions, a lot of this nonsense would stop.

That’s interesting bc every where I’ve worked (which has been a few places in Upstate SC) if you aren’t leaning to the right you’re almost regarded as a black sheep, outcast, weirdo, etc.

But like you I avoid political talk at work and pretty much everywhere else, except around very close friends, like the plague. I’d consider myself moderate by the way and honestly this political climate has me not really wanting to be associated with either party.

I absolutely believe that and why I made sure to say “my experience”. I don’t expect it’s everyone’s. Totally agree with you on every point including moderate views and avoiding hitching my wagon to either party.

Chart2.jpeg

Chart5_0.jpeg
There is one problem with all this logic. People automatically assume you are a liberal if you don't like Donald Trump. That is not true. There are a ton of moderates like myself who don't like Trump. More every day in fact.

I absolutely believe that and why I made sure to say “my experience”. I don’t expect it’s everyone’s. Totally agree with you on every point including moderate views and avoiding hitching my wagon to either party.
I just found it interesting that that was your experience in SC. Wasn’t trying to argue just surprised. I think the majority of people are moderates and like most things, the loudest people lives on the far sides of both spectrums. There seems to be no ability to see both sides and see the merits of both sides.

My friend put it in a good way. Maybe people don’t agree with this but I find it interesting. “Politics is the only place where you’re ridiculed for being presented with a set of facts or circumstances and changing your mind.” There’s no sense of compromise. If I never compromised in my marriage, even when I believed I was more right than wrong, I’d be divorced. Politics is the only place where compromise is “evil”.

Free speech still exists. Consequences of said speech also exist. You can have both.

If I want to run around insulting everyone I see, I'm free to do that - freedom of speech. That doesn't absolve me of getting my ass kicked as a consequence of that free speech.

Reactions: marshmk
There is one problem with all this logic. People automatically assume you are a liberal if you don't like Donald Trump. That is not true. There are a ton of moderates like myself who don't like Trump. More every day in fact.

I laughed @ “fact.”

This falls pretty well in line with the post-truth narrative that has become so prevalent on the right. That there are conspiratorial forces working against them, creating an us vs the world ideology.
Some of it does, for sure. The problem is that real people are proving many of them right.

Sure, but I bet nobody's organizing to try to get you fired if you lean to the left. I do imagine that people on the left feel like they need to self-censor a little bit in more right-leaning places, though, just to avoid arguments.

But people losing their jobs has nothing to do with the 1st amendment...
Not legally, but it does violate the liberal spirit of the law. In that way, it's an anti-1st amendment regime, even if it doesn't violate the law.

“I’m scared of voicing my bigoted beliefs”

“I don’t feel able to share my thoughts on why all of my problems are because of poor people”

“I feel like if I voice my support for taking healthcare away from the poor I won’t be as accepted in society”

Here’s a tip: don’t have bigoted, ignorant, hateful, non-productive beliefs and you won’t have any problems. Learn to live and love others as a child of Christ.

Reactions: purenonsense
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT