ADVERTISEMENT

Taxpayer First Budget

I am a business owner, are you? My point was that I can pay myself a reasonable salary and then pay the rest in dividends, thereby significantly reducing my tax rate. (Even more so than under Trump's plan) When you work for someone else you don't really have that option. I have a buddy from business school who owns a roofing business, his effective tax rate last year was 9%. also, there is a big difference between owning a business and being an investor in a business.

I understand how owning a business works. And yes I have a partnership and have had others

Ehhhhhh, just because you don't understand, does not mean that it's magic.

The vast overwhelming undisputable consensus for Americans is they believe in magic. So yes, I mean that it IS magic. If you asked 1000 Americans if they believed money grew on trees (just like our grandparents you to say), they would overwhelmingly say it didn't. But it does!! As a matter of fact, it is actually better than growing on trees, better than our grandparents wildest dreams!

Money doesn't grow on trees, it grows in a COMPUTER! Oh I do understand, I understand very clearly, this is magic. Anyone that believes wealth creation comes from a computer just needs to go ahead and get checked into an insane asylum because there is no hope for that individual. These are the people that do not understand.

Reactions: gotigers24
The vast overwhelming undisputable consensus for Americans is they believe in magic. So yes, I mean that it IS magic. If you asked 1000 Americans if they believed money grew on trees (just like our grandparents you to say), they would overwhelmingly say it didn't. But it does!! As a matter of fact, it is actually better than growing on trees, better than our grandparents wildest dreams!

Money doesn't grow on trees, it grows in a COMPUTER! Oh I do understand, I understand very clearly, this is magic. Anyone that believes wealth creation comes from a computer just needs to go ahead and get checked into an insane asylum because there is no hope for that individual. These are the people that do not understand.

Sweet shit man. You are not well.

You are somewhat answering you own question.
How do you think "investing" and "growth" are possible to create jobs? Does revenue, money, currency magically appear (assuming you are not a central bank) from the heavens? No, investing in new companies and growth in existing can only occur from the generation of wealth via savings.

The challenges we face daily in our business is to accrue more savings than what we spend. This is true for any private business, obviously governments do not have this problem, they just run deficits. This is the only way we can generate more wealth and then hire more people, accrue more assets, etc..

What are you trying to say? You are contradicting yourself.

Everyone knows where revenue comes from. And gross revenue which is what most Americans look at and that is a very skewed view of reality..."holy shit that is a $50 million company they must be doing great"

But after regulations, taxes, benefits, and other overhead it really isn't. 6% net is an incredibly strong company. With new regulations, Obamacare, etc etc these companies making net 3-4% aren't going to survive.

How can you magically create these savings when every year it costs more to do business? So of it costs more to do business then there are only a few answers...sell to a larger corporation, close your doors, or operate with smaller staff and less expenditures...where is that creating jobs?

Maybe if taxes are lower, companies are less regulated, there are tax benefits for operating within our borders, healthcare costs are less, and companies are able to put more money to the bottom line they will expand, grow, and hire more people. Thriving business' want to expand and grow...companies strapped for cash that barely make ends meet don't.

We have to ween these people off of welfare. A good start would be to force them to do something other than paper work to receive a pay check. Another step in the right direction would be to end this nonsense where you report O income and file for a tax return.
There are a lot of women who look at the welfare system as a career. They then teach their daughters to follow in their footsteps creating more useless people. When you ask a 17 year old girl where she is going to go to college and her response is "College? I don't need no school I already get a check". We have majorly failed as a society to allow things to get to this point. People's goals in life can't be to be a leach on society and have more children so you can get more money from the government.
We have to give people incentive to try to achieve more. First of all if they had to get off their ass and do some kind of work, that would be beneficial to the rest of us, I think that would be a good start. Like China they can make shoe laces or something constructive. (And no this wouldn't be communist because they would have a choice. If they want to receive the check they participate if they don't they don't get money. It's totally up to them) The pay scale should be below minimum wage. They should offer very little further assistance for children. I would be willing to bet the unemployment level would just about disappear. And it would take the burden of welfare off of the taxpayers backs. They could be sewing sweaters for all I care. Just something we can sell to another country and pay for most of the labor. Hell then we maybe able to afford decent health care!

Reactions: nmerritt11
i voted for him because of his opponent and only I can call me a dumbass, good sir...in all seriousness, you really believe what you just typed? i hate the term snowflake, but in this case it's appopriate

yes, you're a dumbass. his first five months in office are exactly what people like me said they would be, if not worse. and yet you still voted for this buffoon. so yes, in this case, you are in fact a dumbass.

If you voted for Hillary please do not call anyone a dumb ass

yes, because hillary would definitely be ensnared in an impeachment scandal as this point in her term had she been elected. continue to believe in your ridiculous false equivalency that hillary was anywhere near as bad a candidate as trump.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeForever
yes, because hillary would definitely be enraptured in an impeachment scandal as this point in her term had she been elected. continue to believe in your ridiculous false equivalency that hillary was anywhere near as bad a candidate as trump.

Hillary is corrupt, self centered, and was/is involved in all sorts of scandals. She is careless, clueless, and has thrived and been successful through back handed hand shakes and deals.

There is no empeacent scandal...the media and left wing is trying to create that. Hillary is the lowest of scum

Reactions: TigerPrice03
Are we talking real or nominal growth rates? I take it as those are nominal, in which case 4.0% is the average of 2000-2014
I believe it is nominal. My data that I calculate shows 3.9% since 2000. But looking at the data since 2000, we had a low of (0.4)% vs. a high of 6.7% during the height of spending for the IRAQ war and Katrina. The vast majority of years, though, we were below the 4.1% floor in Mulvaney's budget and we were nowhere close to the 9.2% increase he shows on the high end in any year. His numbers are aggressive.

But, GDP growth only shows one side of the picture, the other side is the debt side and that's where this trickle down policy really rears its head. Let's look back at the last time this trickle down tax cut policy was enacted on any comparably large scale.

The first big test of trickle down economics was under Reagan, who I love to this day. When he stepped in office in 1981 we had a Debt to GDP ratio of 31%. In the previous 10 years, the highest it had been was 34% in 1972. Reagan, of course, passed a massive tax cut on the highest income levels with the idea that they were the ones who would invest in jobs for the middle class and they could best be trusted to invest those dollars in the economy. Great original idea. If the middle and lower class went to work, tax revenues from their incomes would increase. At least that was the idea.

We did see GDP growth, as expected. The problem was the deficits that came with it, which alarmed Reagan and he was as anti-deficit as all good conservatives should be. All those tax cuts weren't trickling down. Our debt effectively doubled in the first 4 years, leading Reagan to scale back his tax cuts and actually pass a marginal tax INCREASE to try and slow deficits after his budget director saw the data and called trickle down economics a failed policy.

Even after quickly enacting a marginal tax increase, deficits continued to grow, leading George H.W. Bush to enact another marginal tax increase to try and slow deficits in his first term. The tax increase was the right thing to do but it cost him re-election. By the end of Bush's term in 1992 deficits had grown by 4 times what they were before Reagan's massive tax cut on the wealthy, aka Trickle Down Economics. And while GDP did rise, it did not rise sufficiently to offset the deficits that came with those tax cuts. The debt to GDP ratio went from 31% in 1981 to 63% by the time Bush left office 12 years later. The only other time in US history that saw the debt to GDP double in that short of a time was during WWII when we had to take out massive debt to fund the war effort. But there was no war in the 80s.

Clinton again passed a 3rd tax increase since the first trickle down tax cuts in Reagan's first term to again try and slow the debt ratio from growing. Along with bipartisan spending cuts, by the end of Clinton's 2nd term in 2001 the debt to GDP ratio had dropped to 54% and was trending in a healthy direction again. It took 3 tax cuts from 2 republicans and a Democrat to fix the last trickle down experiment of this scale. Unfortunately, people have forgotten (if they ever knew) and the republicans are using a failed policy from the past, the false promise of making free loaders work, and a small tax cut for the middle class to sell us on another major tax cut for their wealthiest donors of their campaigns.

A lot of conservatives don't realize how conservative Bill Clinton was, same goes for liberals (signed Omnibus Crime bill which expanded the death penalty, signed the Defense of Marriage Act, signed the Illegal Immigration Reform act and reformed welfare). He would not get elected today as a democrat.

I voted for him then, and I'd vote for him again. At least we'd get a lot of entertaining memes in the process.

Not a right wing conspiracy guy but there was a lot of issues regarding her health and if she would be fit to handle the office of the presidency. And it was significant enough for voters to be truly concerned. But continue with your head in the sand...

the only outlets running with that story were right-wing conspiratorial platforms.

and just so i have this correct, you guys are now claiming that you were concerned with her fitness from a health perspective, and saw no such concerns in electing an obese 70 year old man whose diet consists mainly of fast food, who believes that exercise depletes a body's finite amount of energy, and who has shown strong signs of senility?

Reactions: yoseftiger
yes, you're a dumbass. his first five months in office are exactly what people like me said they would be, if not worse. and yet you still voted for this buffoon. so yes, in this case, you are in fact a dumbass.

I know it's crazy! A president got elected and is actually trying to do the things he said he was going to do to get elected. What kinda world are we living in now? He has even shown a willingness to compromise a little which I didn't see coming.

Reactions: Ron Munson
no one should get a tax increase imo.

The people who created our country would fight and die to not be taxed at the rate today's Americans are and for ridiculous frivolous things. I'm not talking about cancer research and I think we all know it.

My wife is an accountant but at this point I'm leaning toward's a 10% flat tax for everyone.
And a 10% flat tax would end this country. I love a flat tax idea, but 10% is a pipe dream. And It can't be applied to the letter. It sounds nice, but any respected economist who has looked at any real number would laugh at that rate.

Just do me a favor, look at the numbers then form an opinion. I was where you are at one point. Im not criticizing you. Just asking that you look at the real data.

yes, because hillary would definitely be enraptured in an impeachment scandal as this point in her term had she been elected. continue to believe in your ridiculous false equivalency that hillary was anywhere near as bad a candidate as trump.

She probably would be with all of the email stuff and Loretta Lynch and whatever else. Not that I really cared about that stuff, but the right wing would have attached to that just as the left wing has attached to this Russia stuff.

Regardless, the fact that she wanted to expand entitlements and the federal government made her a much worse candidate from my view. At least at the end of Trump's tenure, we won't have the additional burden of free college and other ridiculous programs to find a way to pay for.

You can keep focusing on fake impeachment scandal, articles about deteriorating cognitive ability or whatever else and folks like me will keep focusing on the real issues.

Hillary is corrupt, self centered, and was/is involved in all sorts of scandals. She is careless, clueless, and has thrived and been successful through back handed hand shakes and deals.

There is no empeacent scandal...the media and left wing is trying to create that. Hillary is the lowest of scum

lol there is really no saving you type of people. you've been so deeply brainwashed by years of fox news and fear-mongering.

also, it's spelled impeachment, and you are absolutely bonkers if you think this scandal is "made up."

I'm no fan of Hillary or Trump, but reading what you have written on the subject, I'd swear you are Corrine Brown impersonating Maxine Waters.

We have to ween these people off of welfare. A good start would be to force them to do something other than paper work to receive a pay check. Another step in the right direction would be to end this nonsense where you report O income and file for a tax return.
There are a lot of women who look at the welfare system as a career. They then teach their daughters to follow in their footsteps creating more useless people. When you ask a 17 year old girl where she is going to go to college and her response is "College? I don't need no school I already get a check". We have majorly failed as a society to allow things to get to this point. People's goals in life can't be to be a leach on society and have more children so you can get more money from the government.
We have to give people incentive to try to achieve more. First of all if they had to get off their ass and do some kind of work, that would be beneficial to the rest of us, I think that would be a good start. Like China they can make shoe laces or something constructive. (And no this wouldn't be communist because they would have a choice. If they want to receive the check they participate if they don't they don't get money. It's totally up to them) The pay scale should be below minimum wage. They should offer very little further assistance for children. I would be willing to bet the unemployment level would just about disappear. And it would take the burden of welfare off of the taxpayers backs. They could be sewing sweaters for all I care. Just something we can sell to another country and pay for most of the labor. Hell then we maybe able to afford decent health care!

Where do people like yourself get the idea that everyone getting government assistance is just sitting at home collecting a check? Sure there are people who take advantage of the system, but there are also poor people who go to work every day. Quit making blanket generalization when you have no idea what you're talking about.

Oh BTW, the people who are cheating the system now will always find a way to cheat the system. Those people are criminals and will figure out another way to make "easy" money.

the only outlets running with that story were right-wing conspiratorial platforms.

and just so i have this correct, you guys are now claiming that you were concerned with her fitness from a health perspective, and saw no such concerns in electing an obese 70 year old man whose diet consists mainly of fast food, who believes that exercise depletes a body's finite amount of energy, and who has shown strong signs of senility?

I will take the billionaire genius over a dumb blonde **** any day.

Reactions: nmerritt11
lol there is really no saving you type of people. you've been so deeply brainwashed by years of fox news and fear-mongering.

also, it's spelled impeachment, and you are absolutely bonkers if you think this scandal is "made up."

First of all I don't watch Fox News and second of all I know what I have dealt with the last 8 years. Being in healthcare it's a damn nightmare.

And I know how to spell impeachment. I'll make sure I type slower for you next time so I don't screw up on a message board. I'll take a lap

Hopefully you are doing your share to help fund all the free shit the left gives away

Reactions: vinotiger
She probably would be with all of the email stuff and Loretta Lynch and whatever else. Not that I really cared about that stuff, but the right wing would have attached to that just as the left wing has attached to this Russia stuff.

Regardless, the fact that she wanted to expand entitlements and the federal government made her a much worse candidate from my view. At least at the end of Trump's tenure, we won't have the additional burden of free college and other ridiculous programs to find a way to pay for.

You can keep focusing on fake impeachment scandal, articles about deteriorating cognitive ability or whatever else and folks like me will keep focusing on the real issues.

i've never seen someone so arrogant while being so clearly clueless at the same time. there is nothing "fake" about this scandal. it's been thoroughly reported and sourced by every legitimate news organizations, even the rupert murdoch owned WSJ. you are just more comfortable ignoring it because it makes you look like a goddamn rube to admit that you voted for a travesty.

Reactions: yoseftiger
Isn't that the trickle down effect you just referred to? Hum more wealthy people create more jobs. I mean the guy in your example is employing quite a few people just for his personal use. Some of those jobs are very well paying. Like being a chef or a PILOT.

In reality all the broke mfers need to be kissing the wealthy peoples asses. They are the one's paying their bills

It's not the same and I think that you know it... A rich guy might have a chef or a personal assistant or a pilot. That's 3 jobs and maybe they are well paying. That's a TON different than a factory full of decent, good paying jobs. If you put more money into the rich guys pocket, is he going to hire 2 pilots now because he can afford it? Of course not, he doesn't need it.

Again, I site Kansas and Louisianna where the state figuratively kissed all the wealthy people's asses and gave them HUGE tax breaks. What happened to the economic development and all those jobs that were supposed to be created? There was no demand for them, so that money got put into the pockets of shareholders and owners. And both states were/are left with empty coffers and nothing to show for it.

Again, don't get me wrong. I got nothing against the wealthy. I'm hoping to get there one day myself. I'm not advocating socialism/communism in any way. Those systems suck. But your version of capitalism sucks too. That's where everyone has to kiss the rich people's asses because they are rich. The wealthy do whatever they want (which is generally to look after themselves) and the rest of us have to live with it. That's not OK. And a fair and just society has some balances to keep that from happening.

First of all I don't watch Fox News and second of all I know what I have dealt with the last 8 years. Being in healthcare it's a damn nightmare.

And I know how to spell impeachment. I'll make sure I type slower for you next time so I don't screw up on a message board. I'll take a lap

Hopefully you are doing your share to help fund all the free shit the left gives away

thanks! i am, actually. i have a good job where i make a decent amount of money, and like to spend my off-time volunteering in areas less fortunate than myself and try to get involved in helping local politicians i believe in.

i care about the general state of affairs for people other than those in my own income bracket, though, which is something that seems to elude the republican party.

What are you trying to say? You are contradicting yourself.

Everyone knows where revenue comes from. And gross revenue which is what most Americans look at and that is a very skewed view of reality..."holy shit that is a $50 million company they must be doing great"

But after regulations, taxes, benefits, and other overhead it really isn't. 6% net is an incredibly strong company. With new regulations, Obamacare, etc etc these companies making net 3-4% aren't going to survive.

How can you magically create these savings when every year it costs more to do business? So of it costs more to do business then there are only a few answers...sell to a larger corporation, close your doors, or operate with smaller staff and less expenditures...where is that creating jobs?

Maybe if taxes are lower, companies are less regulated, there are tax benefits for operating within our borders, healthcare costs are less, and companies are able to put more money to the bottom line they will expand, grow, and hire more people. Thriving business' want to expand and grow...companies strapped for cash that barely make ends meet don't.

I might be hard to follow sometimes but I am not contradicting myself. And you are getting way too far ahead, come back and just focus on savings vs. spending first.

Everyone does not know where revenue comes from, if they did, especially in government, we would be far better off than where we are today. Savings is THE root of all wealth creation/production, to believe otherwise is simply putting the cart before the horse..

Reactions: gotigers24
i've never seen someone so arrogant while being so clearly clueless at the same time. there is nothing "fake" about this scandal. it's been thoroughly reported and sourced by every legitimate news organizations, even the rupert murdoch owned WSJ. you are just more comfortable ignoring it because it makes you look like a goddamn rube to admit that you voted for a travesty.

Like I said, I'm focused on the real issues. Budget, entitlements, expanding government, taxes, etc. You stay on the attack to keep us "rubes" in our place while monitoring MSNBC for the latest on every Russia update.

thanks! i am, actually. i have a good job where i make a decent amount of money, and like to spend my off-time volunteering in areas less fortunate than myself and try to get involved in helping local politicians i believe in.

i care about the general state of affairs for people other than those in my own income bracket, though, which is something that seems to elude the republican party.

"I" is capitalized if we are doing the grammar nazi thing.

It isn't a republican or democarat thing on "helping people"

I am on a committee for a charity that has raised the money to build a nursing home in Nicaragua in less than 5 years and continues to provide funds to operate it every year. Sending a group of youth over there next month to work and do a mission...shhh don't tell anyone because only democrats do stuff like that

I volunteer for all sorts of things...man I guess I need to start eluding charities and helping people

Reactions: vinotiger
Sweet shit man. You are not well.

If you understand fractional reserve banking, you would know that I am extremely well, fit as a race horse about to win the Kentucky Derby they say.

Just know this fact and then you ask me if I am well or if you are filled to the eyeballs with apathy. Over 95% of all currency resides as 1's and 0's in a computer, the rest is real currency in physical form. So you tell me, if you can go in a computer and create currency with 1's and 0's are you creating wealth just like currency growing on a tree creating wealth?

Like I said, I'm focused on the real issues. Budget, entitlements, expanding government, taxes, etc. You stay on the attack to keep us "rubes" in our place while monitoring MSNBC for the latest on every Russia update.

i've never watched msnbc in my life and based on what i know, it's not a place i want to get my news.

i prefer to read my news, and again, every single major print operation has reported on this very "real" issue. and since when are you the arbiter on what constitutes a legitimate issue? i, and many other americans, would probably assert that our president trying to influence a sitting FBI director and coerce his loyalty is a much more real issue than how many tax dollars are cut in the scotch household. just because you are a self-involved thinker doesn't mean that others feel the same.

"I" is capitalized if we are doing the grammar nazi thing.

It isn't a republican or democarat thing on "helping people"

I am on a committee for a charity that has raised the money to build a nursing home in Nicaragua in less than 5 years and continues to provide funds to operate it every year. Sending a group of youth over there next month to work and do a mission...shhh don't tell anyone because only democrats do stuff like that

I volunteer for all sorts of things...man I guess I need to start eluding charities and helping people

i chose a long time ago to just bypass capitalizations on a message board. i find them superfluous.

that's great you do all that stuff. it doesn't mean that you can't also support policies which seek to provide even more for those less fortunate.

i've never watched msnbc in my life and based on what i know, it's not a place i want to get my news.

i prefer to read my news, and again, every single major print operation has reported on this very "real" issue. and since when are you the arbiter on what constitutes a legitimate issue? i, and many other americans, would probably assert that our president trying to influence a sitting FBI director and coerce his loyalty is a much more real issue than how many tax dollars are cut in the scotch household. just because you are a self-involved thinker doesn't mean that others feel the same.

I thought Comey won the election for Trump? That was the initial reaction...

And Hillary never did anything wrong and her using her personal email to send classified info and then all disappearing was no issue at all

How the world turns

i chose a long time ago to just bypass capitalizations on a message board. i find them superfluous.

that's great you do all that stuff. it doesn't mean that you can't also support policies which seek to provide even more for those less fortunate.

I suppose policies for people that are actually in need. Not for people who want charity

I am taxed enough and work hard for my money. I would prefer choosing who and where it goes to help

I think what scotch is trying to say is, he is worried about the stuff that matters. Presidents, FBI directors, etc. come and go, "Budget, entitlements, expanding government, taxes, etc", stick with you like a big fking piece bubble gum in the Bass Pro parking lot in the middle of July. That's all.

It's not the same and I think that you know it... A rich guy might have a chef or a personal assistant or a pilot. That's 3 jobs and maybe they are well paying. That's a TON different than a factory full of decent, good paying jobs. If you put more money into the rich guys pocket, is he going to hire 2 pilots now because he can afford it? Of course not, he doesn't need it.

Again, I site Kansas and Louisianna where the state figuratively kissed all the wealthy people's asses and gave them HUGE tax breaks. What happened to the economic development and all those jobs that were supposed to be created? There was no demand for them, so that money got put into the pockets of shareholders and owners. And both states were/are left with empty coffers and nothing to show for it.

Again, don't get me wrong. I got nothing against the wealthy. I'm hoping to get there one day myself. I'm not advocating socialism/communism in any way. Those systems suck. But your version of capitalism sucks too. That's where everyone has to kiss the rich people's asses because they are rich. The wealthy do whatever they want (which is generally to look after themselves) and the rest of us have to live with it. That's not OK. And a fair and just society has some balances to keep that from happening.

Where you are wrong is that wealthy guy eventually will be able to afford another bigger newer airplane keeping many people in jobs at Boeing for example. I'm only half serious with that example.

To me you have to give the largest tax breaks to the upper middle class. Those are the people who are small business owners trying to live the American dream and they are employing people. But thanks to regulation and taxes they will never grow their companies.

On the other hand screw corporate America. They have one mom and pap store at a time ended the American dream. It's nearly impossible to start any kind of retail business now thanks to them. Unfortunately they control our money and now because of the high corporate taxes they pay here most of them are looking at taking our money to other countries. Those countries are happy to allow them to do business at a discounted rate. If we don't do something soon to keep those large corporations here we will be the third world country.

What I would love to see is the government give large corporate tax breaks to manufacturing corporations. And tax the shit out of retail corporations. That way all the manufacturing jobs will come back to America and it will level the playing field for the small guy.

I don't think anyone can disagree with helping the poor. The disagreement is how best to do that. Calling people a dumbass probably isn't the best way to help others understand your point of view, unless your name is Jonathan Gruber. Actually, I think he used the phrases "the stupidity of the American voter" and "lack of transparency" were critical to get the ACA approved. I am all for everyone having access of healthcare, good jobs, etc., but it's really hard to support the democratic views when they freely admit the stupidity of the base allowed the bill to pass. His words, not mine.

Clearly he is one guy, and I don't think all democrats think the way he does. It just seems very ironic that for the party that claims to want to help the poor relying on their stupidity doesn't seem very empathetic.

That being said, do I think Donald Trump had some stupid people vote for him? Of course, but not everyone that voted for Trump is stupid and vice versa. When did difference of opinion start meaning that someone else is stupid or greedy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT