ADVERTISEMENT

Karen Handel: "I do not support a livable wage"

For Christ sake 7.25 is a liveable wage.

7.25*22*8=1276 / month... And at that level you basically pay no income tax and very little state or ss so call it 1100 after taxes.

In any county in South Carolina you can find a 2 bedroom apartment for 350$/month .

Utilities 55 for power 40 for water 35 for cell phone

Cars aren't a need but let's say 90/ month for gas. 100 for insurance. 300/ month for groceries

Still 130 left in the account.

Democrats are greedy af. This would be middle to upper middle in 160 of 210 counties in the world. They see that other people have worked their asses off and have more than them, and decide that they should have it too. Fvck John Ossoff.

white-guy-blinking-meme-gif.gif

Please provide a link to the apartment information so I can see just how big of cesspool it is.

And you left out way too many other variables in your equation.

There actually isn't any income difference in high school graduates and non-graduates anymore for young workers. Trade school, or a two year degree, is required before you actually realize income gains for educational attainment levels.

Pretty sure no one is out there encouraging teen pregnancy, and it is now at an all-time historical low because of the wider access to contraceptives and sex-ed.
Do tech schools or associate degree programs require a HS diploma?

Reactions: alex24
Where do you live where you can find $350 apartments and paying less than $60 a month for power? Your scenario is also assuming you aren't making car payments and don't have health or life insurance. Also, that's $130 left in the account. For the month. With nothing being saved or invested.
And yes 60 for power is very doable. It's called them the thermostat off.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
First off, if you are working a minimum wage job when you are an adult, you should probably just kill yourself. Those jobs are not meant for such. Second, you will go to school for free, so suck it up and better yourself. Don't complain about your bad decisions in life. It's nobodies fault but yours. The minimum wage jobs will start to disappear due to automation if wages increase past a certain point and these people will then be jobless. I look forward to it. Will probably get better service from a machine than these low-lifes can deliver.

7.25*22*8=1276 / month... And at that level you basically pay no income tax and very little state or ss so call it 1100 after taxes.

In any county in South Carolina you can find a 2 bedroom apartment for 350$/month .

Cars aren't a need but let's say 90/ month for gas. 100 for insurance. 300/ month for groceries

Good god man

Reactions: ClemTiger9

Democrats are greedy af. This would be middle to upper middle in 160 of 210 counties in the world. They see that other people have worked their asses off and have more than them, and decide that they should have it too. Fvck John Ossoff.
You'd be singing a totally different tune if they took away all your possessions and you had to live large at $7.25 an hour.

It's elitist to expect people who work 40 hours a week to be able to have the necessities in life (food, shelter, clothes, etc.)? So now it's not enough that poor people should get one job they need to get 2 jobs?

There were times I had two jobs. And so did my parents and so did my grandparents. And eventually through hard work and education we were no longer in a position to need two jobs. Are the people currently in that situation somehow better than us so that they should never have to endure such torture? Please...

Reactions: wufike81
Welfare is simply a necessity. I have an idea for a solution that would cost the country a lot of money up front but likely save money in the long run

For those who qualify for welfare, make it a standard sum of money. There is no extra money for each child you have. Everyone on Welfare gets the exact same sum regardless of your family situation and regardless of where you live. The amount per Welfare recipient would need to be increased up front. Also birth control is 100% covered and provided at no cost. I'm not saying people on Welfare have kids because they get more money...I have no idea if that's true or not. However this would deter them from having more children and thus likely save the country money in the long run. It would essentially take 2 generations to suck it up and deal with it for the betterment of the country in the future. I don't expect it to ever happen because no one who suggests increasing entitlements is going to get a vote from the right

Also the above is just an idea. By no means am I an expert in Welfare

the larger problem here is the eroding middle class. middle class wealth and income is decling while this wealth is pooling in the the uber 1%.

folks need to realize that if we do not start investing in policies that improve the opportunities of the middle class and increase its wealth we are heading for extremely unstable times. electing a trump is only the beginning.

the middle class and its ability to consume is what has always driven our economy. the uber 1% depend on this consumption.

unfortunately, gridlock politics feeding naratives like u see on some of the rants in this thread and monetary policy as the primary instrument for managing the economy continue this spiral of declining middle class.

Here is the problem with your stance. It is well know that you can decrease your chance of living in poverty by about 90%-95% by following a few simple rules. Graduate from high school, don't get pregnant before you graduate from high school, etc. Liberals never stress these few points that make a "HUGE" difference in the quality of life that you live. Libs are more interested in keeping people in permanent poverty so they can play their typical nanny state BS card.

The irony to your statement is that it is rural America - where the country is 'reddest' - that is now experiencing the worst of unemployment, children out of wedlock, drug addiction and hopelessness. Liberals aren't the ones making policies in those states. Look at the worst performing economic states and the list is littered with southern states that consistently vote Republican.

You'd be singing a totally different tune if they took away all your possessions and you had to live large at $7.25 an hour.
No I wouldn't because I'm not an idiot, I would work on the side, cut grass etc etc and I would be fine... But that's not the point. The point is that these people want what others have, while their situation is just fine as is.

Reactions: BigTimeTiger
Because it kills employment and many small businesses and suppresses the economy. The math does not make sense. Prices for many goods and services will skyrocket. A movie ticket will need to be $16 immediately for example to make it work. Does the 16 year old pimple-faced kid taking your movie ticket need to be paid an hourly wage high enough to fully support a family? That is what you are asking for.

Anyone willing to work and with an ounce of motivation will easily find a job that pays way above minimum wage. Easily. Minimum wage and livable wage should not be thought of as synonymous. They are different things.

Setting the mentally limited and truly disabled aside, if you can only get a minimum wage job and need to support your family, your thinking and philosophies took a bad wrong turn somewhere.

And if all or even 95% of able Americans are willing to actually work 40 hrs per week, this whole thread goes away and we become near Utopia and we could greatly reduce our taxes.
Absolutely! ^^
To me raising a minimum wage is just not logical. It makes the left feel all warm and fuzzy and they can pat themselves on the back and say "See what we did for you guys!" But when you look at it from a cause and effect standpoint it all seems to fall apart.

If you make me "as a business owner" pay my people more, "I WILL" raise my prices to compensate for that, and so will everyone else. Therefore prices will go up across the board. This means that the guy making minimum wage "effectively" isn't making any more money than he was because of a cost of living increase. So you really didn't help him. But what about everyone else? Their wages didn't go up, but the prices did! So in effect they all received a wage decrease because they can't buy as much as they could.

This has baffled me for years. Please explain logically how this helps anyone? (Except maybe China) I just don't get it. How can you tell McDonalds and everyone else not to raise their prices? Or replace the workers with robots that don't bitch about what they make. I own a business, if you make me pay my part time "teenage helpers" more, I will simply get rid of them or raise my rates to pay them more. Please explain how this helps anyone?

Where do you live where you can find $350 apartments and paying less than $60 a month for power? Your scenario is also assuming you aren't making car payments and don't have health or life insurance. Also, that's $130 left in the account. For the month. With nothing being saved or invested.
I have a 2 story townhome that I pay ~$60-70 for power - and that's with a keg fridge and, 2 tv's, lot more A/C than anyone complaining about a "living wage" should be using, etc.

Another thing mentioned earlier is that people shouldn't be "living" off of a minimum wage job to begin with, that logic is inherently flawed. You shouldn't be bagging groceries for 40 hours a week and expect to be supporting yourself or certainly a family. Those jobs are for part-time labor (mostly teenagers) or second jobs.

If you male, work construction. If you're a female, cook in a restaurant, be a nanny, be a bartender. Those aren't minimum wage jobs and they don't require much education. They require a little more effort than standing in one spot for 40 hours a week but they also pay more than $7.50.

white-guy-blinking-meme-gif.gif

Please provide a link to the apartment information so I can see just how big of cesspool it is.

And you left out way too many other variables in your equation.
Fvck me you are right... I forgot that at that income level you would easily qualify for food stamps so add that 300 back into the account. I'm not sure what level qualifies you for utility credits, but might be able to wipe those costs out of the equation as well. So you can go ahead and move your apartment search up to 500 with 150/month for a car payment and still have the 130 saved

Fvck me you are right... I forgot that at that income level you would easily qualify for food stamps so add that 300 back into the account. I'm not sure what level qualifies you for utility credits, but might be able to wipe those costs out of the equation as well. So you can go ahead and move your apartment search up to 500 with 150/month for a car payment and still have the 130 saved

Well done, Banks. Well done..

giphy.gif

I'm fine with increasing minimum wage IF they lift a tax burden off of the business owners.
It seems some people like @clemsonpaw00 forget the fact that the business owner has to make a profit in order to pay any of the employees

I have a 2 story townhome that I pay ~$60-70 for power - and that's with a keg fridge and, 2 tv's, lot more A/C than anyone complaining about a "living wage" should be using, etc.

Another thing mentioned earlier is that people shouldn't be "living" off of a minimum wage job to begin with, that logic is inherently flawed. You shouldn't be bagging groceries for 40 hours a week and expect to be supporting yourself or certainly a family. Those jobs are for part-time labor (mostly teenagers) or second jobs.

If you male, work construction. If you're a female, cook in a restaurant, be a nanny, be a bartender. Those aren't minimum wage jobs and they don't require much education. They require a little more effort than standing in one spot for 40 hours a week but they also pay more than $7.50.

I think you would be shocked at how many jobs start pay at minimum wage. And the companies build in a slow progression to the point that turnover keeps their wage rate right above $8.50 /hr. In retail that is considered the "sweet spot" for EBITDA.

You make a good point that there are opportunities for other jobs that would make more but again you would be shocked at how many are in the work force currently contending for minimum wage jobs. People don't give up good bartending, nanny and construction jobs.

Keep in mind that this Board is not a good sample of Americans. Having to pay for this site eliminates or should eliminate anyone making less than $10 and hour.

Let me lead off with, I am a moderate Republican. I have always voted for the party but don't always agree with everything a republican says. I am usually turned off by Democratic social issues which has kept me voting Republican.

Now, the issue has been touched on some in this thread but hasn't been stated exactly. The issue is America has developed, over time, into a work force that requires too many "low level" employees. This is just one example but consider this:

last year was the first year in our history that Americans spent more money at restaurants than at the grocery store. Sounds harmless but think about that. The number is 700 BILLION dollars was spent on food that wasn't made at home. That number was 600 Million in 1985. In percents, it was 50.4% LY vs. 23% spent eating out in 1985. That change is an enormous change in culture. Think about the low level labor that requires. And we aren't talking about the upper class here. Everyone across all classes is eating out.

Edit: there is a strong argument that eliminating food stamps and EBT would actually promote smarter spending from the families that currently qualify. And more money would be spent on healthy items at the store. Not all families spend poorly but I work in the grocery business and you all would be appalled at what is spent with EBT $. For example more units of shell fish and beef sold last year with EBT than comparably portioned chicken. Which means more money was spent on less tonage of expensive meats than tonage of affordable meats. And don't get me started on how much money was spent on Frappacinos made in in-store Starbucks kiosks. Yes cold drinks can be purchased with EBT.

I am of the mind that we have changed too quickly as a culture and are dealing with very difficult issues as a result. I am all about women in the workforce but the desire to have a 2 parent income is having massive effects. (My wife and I both work). It's almost necessary to do this for millennials for a number of reasons but the main reason is lower average wages across all US jobs below executive levels.

The food industry is just one example but a huge one. You can apply this logic to entertainment as well. I don't know the numbers on cellular data either but I would imagin we spend a butt load on all things data and not all of that money stays in the US. Could be wrong on that though.

I am of the belief that Americans need to focus on providing a service/goods globally for long term success. We need to stay on the cutting edge of development (not just Tech) to tap into a global market to bring more demand for American products and services. Every outsourced job has an effect on American $$. Whether it's a low level telecom job or better paying manufacturing/tech/IT job, every position filled outside of the US has an effect. Do I think we need to regulate from a government level? NO. Is all outsourcing bad? NO. But as Americans, we should be conscious of our spending and companies we do business with at a family level.

It is sad that Americans have to work 40-50 hours (most retail and restaurant are 50) a week and can't support the "American Dream". If Susie and Johnny have to work 50 hours per week, then who is raising Billy? Daycare...and that costs money. Who is cooking? McDonalds...and that costs money.

I think there is some merit to the idea. A FT job should support a family but I don't think raising the minimum wage does anything except create inflation. We need to attack this issue on a different front. People are spending frivolously and we are allowing other nations to profit on our stupidity. Teach your kids to be responsible and you can be part of the solution.

End rant.

I agree with some of this. I would disagree that raising the minimum wage would create massive inflation, though.

It might make eating out more expensive, which could drive people back to the grocery store... to wit:

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/04/5-facts-about-the-minimum-wage/

Note that the restaurant industry is the single biggest industry that takes advantage of the minimum wage. Will you drive some restaurants out of business? Maybe... but it is already one of the riskiest enterprises going because of the tricky balance and vicious competition.

I'm fine with increasing minimum wage IF they lift a tax burden off of the business owners.
It seems some people like @clemsonpaw00 forget the fact that the business owner has to make a profit in order to pay any of the employees

i never even commented directly on her handel's statement ITT. so i'm not sure why you're tagging me. i agree that a raise in minimum wage would need to correspond with some sort of incentive for small business owners.

Graduate from high school, don't get pregnant before you graduate from high school, etc. Liberals never stress these few points that make a "HUGE" difference in the quality of life that you live.
Actually, traditionally "liberal" politicians generally support public schools and programs aimed at graduating kids, and also support effective sex/health education (i.e. NOT abstinence education programs).

Just a thought but could raising the MW have an unintended consequence? If movie tickets, fast food and large grocery stores have to raise prices to pay for the labor, would Americans spend less in these businesses and more in small businesses? Would this give an opportunity for small business owners to in fact grow?

Automation, IF we build it, would actually help our economy. It would immediately become a huge market that we could export. That's a if.

deciphering your elitist rant, your idea of a 'livable' wage is you and your ilk getting to decide how much of other people's earnings and time to confiscate, so you can use the power of the state to coerce them to give it un-earned to others of your choosing.

What have you achieved that gives you the arrogance to imagine that you could competently judge such things for others (all the while, applying none of those rules and hardships on yourself or your cronies) ?
You did not help @Trap Game with uninformed comment on the base of stupidity. A livable wage is the minimum income necessary for a worker to meet their basic needs. Incase this simple definition went over your head let me define the word - worker for the idiots that confused welfare recipients with a "worker". A worker is a person that works.

See I am not an elitist just smarter than you and your co signing buddies.

Reactions: anon_s7mtzi79509cl
I think you would be shocked at how many jobs start pay at minimum wage. And the companies build in a slow progression to the point that turnover keeps their wage rate right above $8.50 /hr. In retail that is considered the "sweet spot" for EBITDA.

You make a good point that there are opportunities for other jobs that would make more but again you would be shocked at how many are in the work force currently contending for minimum wage jobs. People don't give up good bartending, nanny and construction jobs.

Keep in mind that this Board is not a good sample of Americans. Having to pay for this site eliminates or should eliminate anyone making less than $10 and hour.
I know it's not a very representative sample but I work at a large employer that struggles (to put it mildly) to staff jobs that we pay $13-15/hr. The work is hard and I wouldn't want to do it but I'm also not complaining about a living wage bagging groceries either.

Where was this outrage from the left when Obama forced military retirees to pay more for their health benefits and cut into their disability and cost of living alottment. FYI, a retired Navy SEAL who has done approximately 15 deployments to a combat zone, makes about $25,000 per year for his pension if he retires as an E8 at 20 years.

So the left thinks that the guy serving fries should make enough to make a career out of that, but the guy who served his country for twenty years needs to take his a$$ back to work. The priorities of the left are truly baffling.

the larger problem here is the eroding middle class. middle class wealth and income is decling while this wealth is pooling in the the uber 1%.

folks need to realize that if we do not start investing in policies that improve the opportunities of the middle class and increase its wealth we are heading for extremely unstable times. electing a trump is only the beginning.

the middle class and its ability to consume is what has always driven our economy. the uber 1% depend on this consumption.

unfortunately, gridlock politics feeding naratives like u see on some of the rants in this thread and monetary policy as the primary instrument for managing the economy continue this spiral of declining middle class.

agree 100% with your points on the middle class and consumption, I disagree 1000% that Trump is the answer. Trump's policies are the same policies that destroyed the middle class in this country. Hell just look at Kansas (Trump policies) and California (Dem policies). Which would you say is doing better? Which has a stronger middle class?

Republicans are headed for a difficult mid term election.
IDK, gerrymandering negates a lot of general dissatisfaction. Also, I think most Americans look at congress, especially the House, and see how dysfunctional it is, but feel it's everyone else's rep that sucks, not theirs.

Reactions: broncosrb26
I'm still having trouble believing this is a discussion that needs to be had in the United States. Just another sign of how far our education system has drifted in this country I suppose. What are people actually saying with this argument? That we should enforce a minimum level of pay for any job a person works? Why? How do you define livable? Does anyone that has lived in NYC or LA actually think that $15/hour is a livable wage? $31k is not livable in LA...

This is all part of a greater argument. This is just another cog in the wheel of the victimhood movement that must be stopped at all costs. We are enabling the entitlement and creating a permanent underclass through these policies. We're arming people for war with sticks and a garbage can lid... What we should be doing is finding ways to arm these people to succeed in life. There is little question we have a large class of people who don't have the education, skills or really the motivation to do much of anything. Once we turn off the government dole, we'll be leaving them defenseless and unable to succeed. We can argue about whose fault that is later. First we need to build an infrastructure to help educate and empower those folks to succeed. Instead of telling them we'll fight for a crappy wage for you while you flip burgers, we should be finding ways to help them advance up the economic ladder.

The world doesn't owe a person anything. In the United States, our goal (when we actually knew who we were) was/is to empower people to be whatever it is they want to be. We should make all our choices off that premise. The whole livable wage argument is a canard. It is disingenuous and yet another tool the left wants to use to control large groups of people. As they say, a government powerful enough to give you everything you want is also strong enough to take everything you have. At some point, I hope the lightweights out there will start figuring this out.

I agree with some of this. I would disagree that raising the minimum wage would create massive inflation, though.

It might make eating out more expensive, which could drive people back to the grocery store... to wit:

Note that the restaurant industry is the single biggest industry that takes advantage of the minimum wage. Will you drive some restaurants out of business? Maybe... but it is already one of the riskiest enterprises going because of the tricky balance and vicious competition.

I apologize if I was hyperbolic and said "massive" I don't believe it would be massive.

But yes we need to drive more family spending back into grocery stores and family entertainment.

It would drive tons of restaurants out of business. Eliminating jobs for the people you are trying to help.

The ones who stay in business raise prices. Now people who could afford to eat out once a month can no longer budget it.

A livable wage is not "free shit". A livable wage is the concept that if you work a 40 hour work week, you should be able to feed your family. That is the American dream. If we are willing to revive an efficient energy sector (coal) to give miners their jobs back, why can't we pay people a living wage?

They are free to. Either add value to their current employer to the point they make this "livable wage" or find another job that does pay enough to feed their family. In other words earn it, don't ask the government to give it to you.

The minimum wage was never intended to be some sort of "livable wage". It is intended to be a base wage for HS and college kids working at a fast food restaurant.

Not to mention that an increase in the minimum wage leads to an increase in pay across the entire economy. Many pay rates are directly tied to it (some union contracts for instance) and the companies that need better workers will have to pay more for them, leading to increased labor costs.

Or the companies will just move their operations to China, Mexico, Maylasia......

This country has GOT to get out of this idea that people who have been successful and made a lot of money are somehow evil, and everyone else has the right to some of their stuff.

Because it kills employment and many small businesses and suppresses the economy. The math does not make sense. Prices for many goods and services will skyrocket. A movie ticket will need to be $16 immediately for example to make it work. Does the 16 year old pimple-faced kid taking your movie ticket need to be paid an hourly wage high enough to fully support a family? That is what you are asking for.

Anyone willing to work and with an ounce of motivation will easily find a job that pays way above minimum wage. Easily. Minimum wage and livable wage should not be thought of as synonymous. They are different things.

Setting the mentally limited and truly disabled aside, if you can only get a minimum wage job and need to support your family, your thinking and philosophies took a bad wrong turn somewhere.

And if all or even 95% of able Americans are willing to actually work 40 hrs per week, this whole thread goes away and we become near Utopia and we could greatly reduce our taxes.

This is a misconception promoted by the right. Many college grads are being forced to take menial jobs, many parents are being forced to work in fast food restaurants, and many law school grads are being forced to work as paralegals. I agree that some "pimply faced" kids are taking those jobs, but certainly not all of them. I drive from ATL to Nashville for business a lot and am often forced to stop on the way and scarf down some fast food in podunk towns in between. I would say it is half and half between teens and adults working there.

Another misconception is the 40 hour work week for minimum wage jobs. Most employer cut hours shorter than 40 so they dont have to pay benefits, etc.

Just a thought but could raising the MW have an unintended consequence? If movie tickets, fast food and large grocery stores have to raise prices to pay for the labor, would Americans spend less in these businesses and more in small businesses? Would this give an opportunity for small business owners to in fact grow?

Automation, IF we build it, would actually help our economy. It would immediately become a huge market that we could export. That's a if.

Automation and highly technical jobs could certainly help rather than hurt. The problem is that as we see more of these highly skilled jobs come open, we aren't training enough people to keep up with the demand.

Just in Dayton, OH alone, we are seeing shortages of workers in manufacturing and the skilled trades. How do people get trained for this when they can barely afford to feed themselves or are already working 2 jobs, 12 hours a day and caring for children?

http://www.scdigest.com/ONTARGET/17-06-07-1.PHP?cid=12531&ctype=content

--Mr. DT

This is a misconception promoted by the right. Many college grads are being forced to take menial jobs, many parents are being forced to work in fast food restaurants, and many law school grads are being forced to work as paralegals. I agree that some "pimply faced" kids are taking those jobs, but certainly not all of them. I drive from ATL to Nashville for business a lot and am often forced to stop on the way and scarf down some fast food in podunk towns in between. I would say it is half and half between teens and adults working there.

Another misconception is the 40 hour work week for minimum wage jobs. Most employer cut hours shorter than 40 so they dont have to pay benefits, etc.
I agree with some of this, but would say we need to stop incentivizing kids to get worthless degrees by loaning them cheap money to get those degrees. we should instead be incentizing them to learn a trade because, from where i sit, there is a lack of american skilled labor in alot of industries...go be a master plumber and then work your way up to owning a business one day and watch the money roll in

This country has GOT to get out of this idea that people who have been successful and made a lot of money are somehow evil, and everyone else has the right to some of their stuff.

We must have a different idea of what "successful" means. My success is not threatened in the least by a fast food worker getting a $4 / hour raise. And I can afford paying an extra buck for my food. The lowest hourly rate I pay in my business is $20/hour, and that is for a mother who works part time from home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT