ADVERTISEMENT

Is It Getting Any Harder for Any of You to Keep Supporting Assault Rifles Blowing Children Apart?

okclem

Woodrush
Gold Member
Apr 2, 2007
Greenville, SC
I'm genuinely curious. Is there a single responsible gun ownership advocate willing to speak up and say enough is enough?

Or are you all such wanton cowards?

So many of you have school age children...how many of them have to get blown to pieces before it occurs to you that might happen to my kid?

I know, take it to the round table, where it can easily be ignored and you can all go back to pretending there isn't an epidemic of murdering school children in this country that is more dangerous than all your liberal bogeymen combined.

I never wanted to believe there were so many cowards in this country.

I can’t understand why in the world schools have not implemented additional security officers, funding for counselors, and even some of the ingenious new technology that’s been developed, including collapsible ballistic rooms (with white board exteriors) that can be popped out within 10 seconds and can safely hold an entire classroom.

Oh, it’s absolutely cowardly how some people hide behind the guise of gun control instead of addressing the epidemic of broken homes, mental illness, and social agendas that pander to both.

I can’t understand why in the world schools have not implemented additional security officers, funding for counselors, and even some of the ingenious new technology that’s been developed, including collapsible ballistic rooms (with white board exteriors) that can be popped out within 10 seconds and can safely hold an entire classroom.

Oh, it’s absolutely cowardly how some people hide behind the guise of gun control instead of addressing the epidemic of broken homes, mental illness, and social agendas that pander to both.
This

Would you feel better if it were only handguns blowing children apart?

Not saying we shouldn’t consider banning assault rifles, but its not the root issue. Why don’t we spend more time tackling root issues in this country?

I'm not a gun owner so my thoughts dont mean much when it comes to this topic, but it must be as equally frustrating for you that there's no discussion about the mental health issues in this country? Last time I checked, it takes a pretty screwed up person to go into a school and shoot innocent children. But instead the focus after every one of these events is the type of gun used, not what created the monster who committed the crime.

I'm not a gun owner so my thoughts dont mean much when it comes to this topic, but it must be as equally frustrating for you that there's no discussion about the mental health issues in this country? Last time I checked, it takes a pretty screwed up person to go into a school and shoot innocent children. But instead the focus after every one of these events is the type of gun used, not what created the monster who committed the crime.

OK. Great idea. Now, how much more in property taxes are YOU willing to pay for such security measures? Let's say each school needs 3 security officers who are trained in crisis management and are expert marksmen. That's probably $250K a year in salary and benefits. Per school. Now, of course, we need metal detectors and those new innovations you speak of. I suppose that will probably cost about $1 million per school. Conservatively. How much would expenses be increased in your school district? (My school district in Fairfax Co., Virginia has 222 schools. So that is roughly $300 million ... maybe lots more ... in new spending for the schools. Unless, of course, you think teachers should take less money.)

Do you think bond issues of hundreds of millions of dollars to cover such expenses will be passed by the voters? Will you spend money to advocate for such passage?

I think it would be simpler to ban military-style assault weapons. How many other countries have as many mass shootings as the United States? Answer: none. Why? Lack of available fire arms.

(Oh, I know the huge risk the citizens of those countries face. The government coming in and taking over the country from the citizenry....you know, the need for that regulated (?!) militia the second amendment advocates always talk about.)

Yep. The GOP talks a big game about mental health (as if the mental health situation is worse in the US than around the world!) but when it comes time to increasing spending, they oppose it.

And even oppose red-flag laws (look at Oklahoma) that would prevent people known to be a danger to themselves or others from having access to guns.

Sure are a lot of people freely exercising their Second Amendment rights in this country.

• Wow
Reactions: DW4_2016 and dpic73
OK. Great idea. Now, how much more in property taxes are YOU willing to pay for such security measures? Let's say each school needs 3 security officers who are trained in crisis management and are expert marksmen. That's probably $250K a year in salary and benefits. Per school. Now, of course, we need metal detectors and those new innovations you speak of. I suppose that will probably cost about $1 million per school. Conservatively. How much would expenses be increased in your school district? (My school district in Fairfax Co., Virginia has 222 schools. So that is roughly $300 million ... maybe lots more ... in new spending for the schools. Unless, of course, you think teachers should take less money.)

Do you think bond issues of hundreds of millions of dollars to cover such expenses will be passed by the voters? Will you spend money to advocate for such passage?

I think it would be simpler to ban military-style assault weapons. How many other countries have as many mass shootings as the United States? Answer: none. Why? Lack of available fire arms.

(Oh, I know the huge risk the citizens of those countries face. The government coming in and taking over the country from the citizenry....you know, the need for that regulated (?!) militia the second amendment advocates always talk about.)

Then what, you gonna ban hammers and knives too?

The money spent on pushing critical race theory in this country could’ve been used for the purposes we’re discussing here. Why wasn’t it?

The money spent on pushing critical race theory in this country could’ve been used for the purposes we’re discussing here. Why wasn’t it?
Yes, why don't we take the money not being spent on something not being taught and use it for armed school guards. Brilliant idea.

Yes, why don't we take the money not being spent on something not being taught and use it for armed school guards. Brilliant idea.

You are familiar with the grants under both the Obama administration and the Biden administration to push critical race theory with publicly funded dollars, correct? You want to honestly argue against the truthfulness of this claim?

• Haha
Reactions: DW4_2016 and 1959
Most people aren't ready for discussion. They're ready to defend their stance, not discuss. When talking politics, have you ever heard someone admit they were wrong or admit they should see it differently?

The world we live in is all about defending your belief rather than learning what you don't know. Because of this, we're doomed IMHO. No Republican can ever agree that Obama did anything positive for this country and no Democrat would ever imagine Trump did anything positive for this country.

Same with Biden and the next one after him.... Rinse and Repeat.

Welcome to modern discussion where we don't discuss or learn because we already know it all and double down on our stance and we only defend the D or the R because that's what we're supposed to do.

I almost forgot, remember to pick the same stance as your favorite Hollywood Celeb or Sports star!

Last edited:

Show me the most recent news story from any nation of someone entering a school and killing many children and teachers with a hammer. I will hang up and wait.

You are familiar with the grants under both the Obama administration and the Biden administration to push critical race theory with publicly funded dollars, correct? You want to honestly argue against the truthfulness of this claim?
What I've learned over the last couple years since this fake issue emerged is that the Right will call anything they don't like CRT, whether it is or not. But just to clarify, these grants were to teach "an academic and legal framework that denotes that systemic racism is part of American society — from education and housing to employment and healthcare and that racism is more than the result of individual bias and prejudice?"

Mental health services , the bill sounds like gender bending

There it is

wow-there-it-is-jim-halpert-770g78dclogec08f.gif

I'm genuinely curious. Is there a single responsible gun ownership advocate willing to speak up and say enough is enough?

Or are you all such wanton cowards?

So many of you have school age children...how many of them have to get blown to pieces before it occurs to you that might happen to my kid?

I know, take it to the round table, where it can easily be ignored and you can all go back to pretending there isn't an epidemic of murdering school children in this country that is more dangerous than all your liberal bogeymen combined.

I never wanted to believe there were so many cowards in this country.

First of all there is no such thing as an assault rifle that is available to the general public. Anything that would fit that type of description would be an automatic weapon which are for military use only. As with so many things these days we start with one false premise and then leap to many others in an attempt to create a control system over people.

Secondly, you demonstrate perfectly the challenge that we face because you're saying that we have to do what you want or we are cowards. Basically it is your way or the highway and rational discussion need not apply. How do you expect to solve problems that way?

We are a lawless society right now. There is no respect for a general rule of law but instead people are basing their views on political agendas that hinge on the precept that by any means necessary is appropriate. We have an outrage culture that stirs people who are unstable into a frenzy. We actively treat each other like one side is good and the other is bad and therefore any political discussion is a fight against evil and oppression. Everything that anyone says if it doesn't fit the proper narrative is an "ism" that must be the grounds for cancellation and comparison of their views to something Hitleresque.

My leftist brother summed it up pretty well last night by saying the quiet part out loud. People are stupid and they behave badly so they must be controlled and their access to weapons and tools of destruction need to be controlled as well. My question is who made you the person who gets to decide how people are controlled? Who controls the folks like you who want to regulate the entirety of society according to your political narratives and sensibilities?

I fired a gun once when I was in ninth grade. It was a 22. I have never owned a gun in my entire life. But I have never been closer to purchasing a weapon and getting the necessary training to defend myself and my family that I am now. I think there's a lot of people that feel that way in this country right now. We are completely out of control and we're under siege by a culture that wants to tell everyone that it's their way or no way at all. We're not going to survive if we keep going down this path.

Anyone supporting this organization is also evil. Y'all are directly responsible for the slaughter of school children. You don't deserve to even be able to sleep at night.

In another thread you said this. Anyone who believes this is true is not someone who should have a role in solving this issue. And certainly it isn't someone who should have any level of control over what happens in the lives of the citizens of this country. In order to have a chance to solve some problems you're going to have to get a hold of your own viewpoints and realized how unhinged you are.

First of all there is no such thing as an assault rifle that is available to the general public. Anything that would fit that type of description would be an automatic weapon which are for military use only. As with so many things these days we start with one false premise and then leap to many others in an attempt to create a control system over people.

Secondly, you demonstrate perfectly the challenge that we face because you're saying that we have to do what you want or we are cowards. Basically it is your way or the highway and rational discussion need not apply. How do you expect to solve problems that way?

We are a lawless society right now. There is no respect for a general rule of law but instead people are basing their views on political agendas that hinge on the precept that by any means necessary is appropriate. We have an outrage culture that stirs people who are unstable into a frenzy. We actively treat each other like one side is good and the other is bad and therefore any political discussion is a fight against evil and oppression. Everything that anyone says if it doesn't fit the proper narrative is an "ism" that must be the grounds for cancellation and comparison of their views to something Hitleresque.

My leftist brother summed it up pretty well last night by saying the quiet part out loud. People are stupid and they behave badly so they must be controlled and their access to weapons and tools of destruction need to be controlled as well. My question is who made you the person who gets to decide how people are controlled? Who controls the folks like you who want to regulate the entirety of society according to your political narratives and sensibilities?

I fired a gun once when I was in ninth grade. It was a 22. I have never owned a gun in my entire life. But I have never been closer to purchasing a weapon and getting the necessary training to defend myself and my family that I am now. I think there's a lot of people that feel that way in this country right now. We are completely out of control and we're under siege by a culture that wants to tell everyone that it's their way or no way at all. We're not going to survive if we keep going down this path.

"We can't have a conversation about reasonable gun control because you called it an assault rifle, which it isnt!" - Willence

Unfortunately @okclem , gun control ain't happening any time soon, and the childishness of willence's response shows why. They are not serious people who are willing to entertain a serious debate.

At this point, I am going to be more focused on gun equality than gun control. Everyone in the US, no matter how poor or disenfranchised, should have equal opportunity to own an AR.

I am supporting an organization up here that is going to distribute ARs to low income families for self-defense. We are starting the test case in the affluent suburbs of SC and GA, specifically because of their relaxed open carry laws. We want to see what happens if everyone is able to walk the streets with an AR. Will it deter crime? We will have to wait a year or so to see the results.

Reactions: dpic73
"We can't have a conversation about reasonable gun control because you called it an assault rifle, which it isnt!" - Willence

Unfortunately @okclem , gun control ain't happening any time soon, and the childishness of willence's response shows why. They are not serious people who are willing to entertain a serious debate.

At this point, I am going to be more focused on gun equality than gun control. Everyone in the US, no matter how poor or disenfranchised, should have equal opportunity to own an AR.

I am supporting an organization up here that is going to distribute ARs to low income families for self-defense. We are starting the test case in the affluent suburbs of SC and GA, specifically because of their relaxed open carry laws. We want to see what happens if everyone is able to walk the streets with an AR. Will it deter crime? We will have to wait a year or so to see the results.

Sounds good to me. If you need help distributing them, let me know. :)

And there's nothing childish about what I said. You don't have anything so that's where you go. I'm happy to talk about it whether someone ignorantly/purposely to deceive refers to it as an assault rifle or not. That isn't going to matter.

As per usual, you try to make what you think is a valid point only to have it turned on its ear by the actual facts. Based on all available statistics there's no problem with the poor obtaining firearms.

What else was in the bill? You know you dems stuffed it with a lot of pork and trans rights BS I am sure.

Doesn't matter. Government and public education aren't going to solve the problems of violence and mental illness. These are not problems that those entities have the power to solve. This is a matter of families and culture in our country which are a mess.

Reactions: Cocks are Number 1
Don't bother with him, he'll just keep telling you it's a false narrative despite the overwhelming evidence and proof of funding.

Also, schools still have billions of covid funding not deployed.

Reactions: Clemson Goat

5013c or for profit?

Sounds good to me. If you need help distributing them, let me know. :)

And there's nothing childish about what I said. You don't have anything so that's where you go. I'm happy to talk about it whether someone ignorantly/purposely to deceive refers to it as an assault rifle or not. That isn't going to matter.

As per usual, you try to make what you think is a valid point only to have it turned on its ear by the actual facts. Based on all available statistics there's no problem with the poor obtaining firearms.

I am glad you support the initiative. Do you want to donate some cash?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT